Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 11-07-12, 18:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutto View Post
...hmmm...looks like the revolution has begun...

Students from the University of Mississippi took to the streets late Tuesday night to protest President Barack Obama's re-election, blocking streets and burning Obama campaign signs until police broke up the mini-riot.

Shortly after midnight, angry students gathered outside the campus for a protest, which reportedly turned violent, with students throwing rocks, using racial slurs and burning Obama's campaign signs, according to the Clarion Ledger.

Police were able to quickly break up the disturbance.

Ironically, prior to Tuesday night conservative bloggers had warned of plots by black youth to riot if Obama lost the election, a charge that police dismissed.

Cheers

blutto
... and this is why they call that place 'Ole Miss'.
Old 11-07-12, 18:07

Just woke up at 7:30 pm after five hours sleep feeling like death warmed over. But, it was worth it for me because I don't know if I'm ever likely to experience a buzz like this again.

I fervently hope that the US political landscape will now slowly start on an inevitable process of change as the Rep. 'leadership' will have to realize the simple fact that if they continue to sell their souls to the now discredited lunatic right wing fringe, they will never win the presidency again. Something's got to give or the Rep. party will become an historical anachronism, whose demise will be welcomed and celebrated by all those whose view of the world is in any remote sense, 'progressive'. Blacks and Latinos are not going to stop voting overwhelmingly Dem no matter who the candidate is. And, as we know, the increase in the number of Latinos is an ongoing process that is not going to suddenly stop.

We can only hope that congressional Reps will be suitably embarrassed, and that they will eventually return to some kind of bipartisan modus vivendi - though I will not be holding my breath on this.

edit - And a big high five to all Americans on joining the rest of the civilized world in having accessible and affordable health care!

Last edited by Amsterhammer; 11-07-12 at 18:09.
Old 11-07-12, 18:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
Obama doesn't have to do a damn thing - he's got the leverage and political capital now. If the country goes over the cliff it'll be the Rs who take the brunt of the blame, and Boehner knows it. On taxes, if no agreement is reached, the Bush tax cuts automatically expire and the Dems introduce their own tax-cut-for-the-middle-class-but-not-for-the-wealthy plan and let the Rs vote against that.
That was the argument of the first year of the first term. l
Look where that got. O's legacy is not secure in the sense you argue. In say 200 years, it will be seen ambivalently as the birthing pains as the most recent overextension of Empire. That's the best case reading.
Old 11-07-12, 18:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfry View Post
Pretty scary when you can be considered one of the smartest in your office!
Crazy talk Frenchfry! Take it easy if these guys find out I am talking to someone from FRANCE they will hang me by my balls.

Well here is the kicker folks. President Obama is going after Big Oil! Not little Oil but the Bigger ones. That and he will stop any permits for the Eastern gulf of mexico.

That about does it for me. I could handle him being from another country and not a real Merikan, he is a Muslim, razing taxes, taking my guns but this President going after Big Oil is just mindz numbing.

Off to Canada for me.
Old 11-07-12, 18:26

Can we start listening to Nate Silver now? 50-for-50 in the states, Obama 50.8% of the popular vote (currently 50% but still counting), and 52.5 D-47.5 R Senate (currently 54-45).

Also, can we stop pretending that Rasmussen and Gallup are legitimate polls?
Old 11-07-12, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Wilson View Post
Crazy talk Frenchfry! Take it easy if these guys find out I am talking to someone from FRANCE they will hang me by my balls.

Well here is the kicker folks. President Obama is going after Big Oil! Not little Oil but the Bigger ones. That and he will stop any permits for the Eastern gulf of mexico.

That about does it for me. I could handle him being from another country and not a real Merikan, he is a Muslim, razing taxes, taking my guns but this President going after Big Oil is just mindz numbing.

Off to Canada for me.
Stop it Glenn, you're killing me.

I note in passing (yes, I'm aware of the demographic) that that hotbed of everything evil about 'big' government, "Washington D.C.", went for the president by a margin of 91-7!!
Old 11-07-12, 18:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rouetheday View Post
... and this is why they call that place 'Ole Miss'.
Ok then game ****.

game rooster....LOL at myself ...I had no idea the filter took that word out. Hey rouetheday is from southcliq making fun of Ole Miss. Something about someone in Southcarolina making fun of the State of Mississippi makes me laugh. Sorry Roue...I am not laughing at you but just your post.

Last edited by Glenn_Wilson; 11-07-12 at 18:30.
Old 11-07-12, 18:31

A freeper figures out why Obama won the women's vote.

Then you also have the thing about many female voters often voting for the man whose looks they like and many females tending to like men who have smaller heads and appear less threatening. So this is another factor that got Obama votes.

The freebie of free birth control and the scare of not being able to have an abortion also get a large percentage of female voters to vote Democrat.

Yup. Just as I suspected. Obama won because he has a smaller head than Romney.
Old 11-07-12, 18:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
Stop it Glenn, you're killing me.

I note in passing (yes, I'm aware of the demographic) that that hotbed of everything evil about 'big' government, "Washington D.C.", went for the president by a margin of 91-7!!
Maybe its to early to call but I would say that is a CHECK mark for President Obama. Any word on a recount? Maybe they could find at least 3 more for Mittons?

Don't look now but the Women vote is the only reason President Obama got elected. At least that is what this FAT A$$ here at my office is saying. Who knew?
Old 11-07-12, 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
A freeper figures out why Obama won the women's vote.

Then you also have the thing about many female voters often voting for the man whose looks they like and many females tending to like men who have smaller heads and appear less threatening. So this is another factor that got Obama votes.

The freebie of free birth control and the scare of not being able to have an abortion also get a large percentage of female voters to vote Democrat.

Yup. Just as I suspected. Obama won because he has a smaller head than Romney.
The fundamental flaw of democracy is that they get the exact same vote as do normal people.