U.S. Politics - Page 475 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 11-07-12, 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphronesis View Post
That was the argument of the first year of the first term.[
Look where that got.
I'd say that got us quite a lot and significantly moved the country forward. I'm still surprised that some people don't seem to realize how much Obama actually accomplished in his first term (beyond the obvious ie health care).

Quote:
O's legacy is not secure in the sense you argue. In say 200 years, it will be seen ambivalently as the birthing pains as the most recent overextension of Empire. That's the best case reading.
I'm not really concerned with 200 years from now but no, it won't. Quite the opposite, in my view.
Old 11-07-12, 20:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
The fundamental flaw of democracy is that they get the exact same vote as do normal people.
The fundamental flaw of democracy may indeed be that such people get to vote. The fundamental flaw of non-democracy, though, is that such people get to run things altogether - and you get no vote at all.
Old 11-07-12, 20:26

Is the free fall in the stock market today a consequence of Obama's reelection?
Old 11-07-12, 20:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfer07 View Post
Is the free fall in the stock market today a consequence of Obama's reelection?
Well yeah!

300 points down. That is nothing compared to what is going to happen now that we have to pay for all these free things that President Obama is giving out.

Just overheard these two work mates talking about the news said today that President Obama is going to be giving out free cell phones to all the minorities. They called it Obamaphone.
They were over here streaming the Ditto Head show and saying that Santa Clause won the election blah blah blah...I didn't know that but I am sure my daughter will find this bit of news the best. Nothing like Santa Clause.
Old 11-07-12, 20:46

And yet, many of us out here actually really love Alberta. ....
Old 11-07-12, 21:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Wilson View Post
Ok then game ****.

game rooster....LOL at myself ...I had no idea the filter took that word out. Hey rouetheday is from southcliq making fun of Ole Miss. Something about someone in Southcarolina making fun of the State of Mississippi makes me laugh. Sorry Roue...I am not laughing at you but just your post.
Well, actually, I'm from NC not SC. I just happen to find myself living in SC currently. And it may not seem like much of a distinction to outsiders, but to us Tarheels it's like going from Manhattan to Staten Island. Yeah, I said it.
Old 11-07-12, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutto View Post
...well, it certainly is purdy and all...except of course for Calgary....but we have a plan...we are going to flood the place with immigrants...good gawd fearing, Maple Leafs loving, Newfies and Capers...and take it over the same way Obama and his immigrant hordes took over the good ole US of A....

Cheers

blutto
Pretty much anyone that comes out here learns very quickly how badly they have been deceived by the Maple Leafs legend.

Once that curtain falls, they become westerners quite quickly and have no intention of going back.
Old 11-07-12, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
John Boehner has stated that the Repubs in the House won't raise taxes 1 dollar, no matter what. So, we're right back where we started.

Eight years ago at this time Bush stated that the American people had given him a mandate. With that he was able to use a lot of political insider maneuvering, and key speeches to get a lot of conservative legislation through a fairly divided Congress. Sixteen years ago Clinton did similar, but made great use of the bully pulpit to connect with people and pressure Congress.

So far we have never seen Obama rise to that level, but if he ever had it in him to step up and do so, now is the time, for the next six months will mean everything to his presidency, and legacy.
He doesn't have a choice. The Bush tax cuts expire next year don't they?
Old 11-07-12, 21:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Wilson View Post
Crazy talk Frenchfry! Take it easy if these guys find out I am talking to someone from FRANCE they will hang me by my balls.

Well here is the kicker folks. President Obama is going after Big Oil! Not little Oil but the Bigger ones. That and he will stop any permits for the Eastern gulf of mexico.

That about does it for me. I could handle him being from another country and not a real Merikan, he is a Muslim, razing taxes, taking my guns but this President going after Big Oil is just mindz numbing.

Off to Canada for me.
"razing" taxes is what Romney was proposing
Old 11-07-12, 22:15

They haven't learned a thing.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/...-take-over-gop

Quote:
Conservative leaders on Wednesday lashed out at Mitt Romney, saying his attempts to paint himself as a moderate and hide his principles cost him the presidency. They vowed to wage a war to put the Tea Party in charge of the Republican Party by the time it nominates its next presidential candidate.

Jenny Beth Martin of Tea Party Patriots said Romney failed to make the kind of strong case for conservatism that would have won the election.

It should have been a landslide if Romney had run as a true conservative,” said Brent Bozell of the Media Research Center.

“Romney took all the right stances, no question. The problem was not communicating them on the national stage with President Obama,” said Marjorie Dannenfelser, the head of the pro-life Susan B. Anthony List.

Martin argued that there was no repudiation of the Tea Party by the electorate because Tea Party values were not firmly articulated.

“This is not the death of the Tea Party,” Martin said.

“Tea Partiers will take over the Republican party in the next four years,” Viguerie said.

Bozell said conservative groups need to up their financial pressure on GOP lawmakers unless they agree to a series of demands, including again vowing to approve of no tax increases for anyone.
Just as delusional as before and well along the road to irrelevancy.