Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 11-07-12, 18:25

Good article by Kimmage:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/othe...g-3281852.html

This may have been posted before. I'm only on page 21.
Old 11-07-12, 18:42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly Gnasher View Post
Good article by Kimmage:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/othe...g-3281852.html

This may have been posted before. I'm only on page 21.
I doubt it. People a little slow around here. We don't pick things up in the press. Especially articles written by Kimmage in the Kimmage thread.
Old 11-07-12, 19:36

My gut feeling is not to trust the uci initiative re Coates.

Many reasons...the first and the most obvious, the uci went for a thru and thru politician with 'connections'

Second, the uci is still calling the shots and making the calls to those Coates has suggested. Is Coates not capable of making calls by himself?

Third, the terms of reference, the key in the investigation scope, have deliberately been overshadowed (and never communicated) by the uci spinning focus on the personality of Mr. Coates

Fourth, Coates has recommended the same flawed approach to Olympic doping as the team sky, that is, signing some worthless papers about not doping, before allowing ozzis into any Olympics.

I smell bs
Old 11-07-12, 19:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by python View Post

Many reasons...the first and the most obvious, the uci went for a thru and thru politician with 'connections'

Second, the uci is still calling the shots and making the calls to those Coates has suggested. Is Coates not capable of making calls by himself?

Third, the terms of reference, the key in the investigation scope, have deliberately been overshadowed (and never communicated) by the uci spinning focus on the personality of Mr. Coates

Fourth, Coates has recommended the same flawed approach to Olympic doping as the team sky, that is, signing some worthless papers about not doping, before allowing ozzis into any Olympics.

I smell bs
Totally.

This is a PR exercise. Sweep it back under the carpet.

What we need is the media to raise the concerns about the inquiry and not let the UCI get away with their bull****.

The UCI has got the pot of whitewash out and its got its painter.

...girls and ****ed 'em at school. All I know is that there were rumours he was into field hockey players

"the only thing worse than reading Cycling News is talking to them" Paul Kimmage

"The four most beautiful words in our common language: I told you so." Gore Vidal
Old 11-07-12, 19:50

Hope Rides Again.
Old 11-07-12, 20:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehog View Post
I doubt it. People a little slow around here. We don't pick things up in the press. Especially articles written by Kimmage in the Kimmage thread.
it's been posted at least 2 or 3 times.

no need to be snarky, hog. just because this thread does not have the substance of the previous deleted thread, doesn't mean you need to poo-poo it. there was a lot of passion and indignation, excellent discussion, and people enthusiastic to support an underdog who's only wrong was to speak the truth... a pity it wasn't resurrected.
Old 11-07-12, 20:03

Quote:

I smell bs
Just to clarify, a stat dec is a legal document, and far more legally binding than the Sky paper.

To wit,
Quote:
http://www.ag.gov.au/Statutorydeclar...tion%20PDF.PDF
Note 1 Aperson who intentionally makes a false statement in a statutory declaration is guilty of an offence, the punishment for
which is imprisonment for a term of 4 years see section 11 of the Statutory Declarations Act 1959.
ETA: I haven't read the Act - there may be outs - but my impression from having used stat decs before is you don't take them lightly.

ETA #2: If they can get away with "I have never tested positive" they should be good to go yeah?

Last edited by Dear Wiggo; 11-07-12 at 20:16.
Old 11-07-12, 20:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Wiggo View Post
Just to clarify, a stat dec is a legal document, and far more legally binding than the Sky paper.

To wit,
I'm not disagreeing with you.

The variations on the conditions where an athlete can use the phrase "never tested positive" is infinite. But what if a sports federation under the Olympic umbrella conveniently loses a doping positive? Or what if they decide the case isn't strong enough? Or what if a federation doesn't want to leave a podium contender at home?

This is Vrijman all over again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLLBNcrIEZ4
Old 11-07-12, 20:18
Banned

Quote:
Ha - had to laugh when I read this, sadly I have the same feeling even if I cannot yet declare why.

Quote:

I smell bs
I suppose, I will continue to wait to see who the final selection are and more importantly their terms of reference - it does seem as though it will be restricted.

But the subsequent law suits against HV/PMcQ are where the real battle is.
Old 11-07-12, 20:30

It has too many echoes of other sporting 'investigations' ie FIFA bribery/Blatter investigation, previous UCI investigations, various IOC investigations.

...girls and ****ed 'em at school. All I know is that there were rumours he was into field hockey players

"the only thing worse than reading Cycling News is talking to them" Paul Kimmage

"The four most beautiful words in our common language: I told you so." Gore Vidal