The 2012 CQ Ranking Manager Game - Page 396 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Games and Fantasy Cycling

Games and Fantasy Cycling Come in and talk about betting, computer games and cycling simulations, and your office's or online fantasy cycling leagues.

Old 10-26-12, 08:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by the asian View Post
When do we have the final update and bring the 2012 game to an end?

Picking next years team is a nightmare.
The last race will be Tour of Taihu Lake which ends on November 8.
Old 10-26-12, 10:24

WOW Ludvigsson woke up... almost makes me want to take him again next season.

...not.
Old 10-26-12, 15:45

So 7th (don't think mc_mountain will take back 500 odd points in the remaining races) after being in the top 10 since February without interruption and leading briefly after the Tour de France, really happy with the way my team performed this year.
I'm going to look for my 2013 team as of now but I must say that I am not really inspired compared to last year after a quick first scan of cqranking. But first a review of my 2012 team.
Boonen, Rogers, Luis Leon Sanchez were all great improvers as expected. Démare, Durbrirdge, Quintana, Bouhanni and Moser were my golden youngsters. Nibali, Spilak, Iglinkskiy and Voigt did very well. Breschel, Velits were decent as were Felline, Dumoulin, Kreuziger, Pozzato, Fenn and Bardet. Sicard, Lloyd and Vaugrenard should/could have done better but cost nothing so not a big loss. Elissonde, Larsson, Van der Sande, Le Bon and Rolland were only slightly better than last year but are still way better than Pinot (who I will probably pick for a third straight year), Appolonio, Anton, Masskant (how did he manage to score even less than in 2011?) and Offredo (worst pick of the game probably). All in all my best pick was probably Bouhanni because only one other person took him (compared to the more obvious Boonen, Rogers) and yet he is the green team.
Old 10-26-12, 19:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Just missed on getting back to back top 10's

I wonder what combined 2011 and 2012 looks like. I see ws in top 20 so i think he could lead that.
Skidmark's domination of 2012 means he leads the aggregate of the two years - the very very unofficial standings according to my calculations (i might not actually have the last spreadsheet for 2011 so the figures might not be spot on) -

1. skidmark 29988
2. mc_mountain 29119*
3. Armchair cyclist 28969*
4. Waterloo Sunrise 28454
5. The Hitch 28247
6. ingsve 27855
7. EvansIsTheBest 27753
8. MADRAZO 27687
9. Luke Schmid 27514
10. theyoungest 27232

*top 10 both years.

@EvansIsTheBest your pick of Bouhanni is indeed an excellent one,
the best unique picks (using CqManager's stats page) are
Wiggins - adamski101
Tiernan-Locke - The Cobra
Purito - flyers
Julian Kern - the_fool_on_the_hill

although Im sure you make a case for some others too.

Best unpicked rider Lars Peter Nordhaug...

Last edited by mc_mountain; 10-26-12 at 19:41. Reason: add best unpicked rider
Old 10-27-12, 09:49

Just managed a top-10 with great finishing sprint! F*cking only 10 points!!
When a rider refuses to take a pull even though it is tactically and/or strategically more sound to take a pull
*Refusing to pull when it is tactically and/or strategically more sound not to is therefore not wheelsucking
Change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up
Old 10-28-12, 19:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_mountain View Post
Skidmark's domination of 2012 means he leads the aggregate of the two years - the very very unofficial standings according to my calculations (i might not actually have the last spreadsheet for 2011 so the figures might not be spot on) -

1. skidmark 29988
2. mc_mountain 29119*
3. Armchair cyclist 28969*
4. Waterloo Sunrise 28454
5. The Hitch 28247
6. ingsve 27855
7. EvansIsTheBest 27753
8. MADRAZO 27687
9. Luke Schmid 27514
10. theyoungest 27232

*top 10 both years.

@EvansIsTheBest your pick of Bouhanni is indeed an excellent one,
the best unique picks (using CqManager's stats page) are
Wiggins - adamski101
Tiernan-Locke - The Cobra
Purito - flyers
Julian Kern - the_fool_on_the_hill

although Im sure you make a case for some others too.

Best unpicked rider Lars Peter Nordhaug...
thank you very much.

As the years go on im looking for this ranking to gain some prestige too
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 10-29-12, 18:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post

...not.
Fermie he's into profit now because of a third place in Tour of Hainan

http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/rid...?riderid=16694
Old 10-29-12, 19:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post

...not.
Doh! I had him nailed on for my 2013 team, then he goes away and gets 100 pts in the last serious race of the season.
Old 11-08-12, 08:19

Today is actually the last day of the season as the Tour of Taihu Lake finishes today.

I assume that the next update is up on sunday or monday.
Old 11-09-12, 05:36

Well, it's done. Season over. The game that I've been interested in, perhaps you could even say 'obsessed about' at some points, more than any other sports fantasy game I've played, has been good to me this year.

I love cycling, I love analyzing numbers, I love a game that's both so simple (pick some riders and wait for the year to play out) and so complex (finding the right mix of breakthroughs, neo-pros, underperforming riders). I appreciate that it's made me, in the last 2 years, take an already very strong interest in cycling and turn it into a rich appreciation of the smaller races, the U23 races, the way that teams set their lineups, the way that riders use races in their seasonal schedule, etc, etc.

I have ambivalence towards the way it makes me cheer for riders just because I have them on my team (Andy Schleck's gonna be a hilarious one for everyone next year - can everyone just pick him so it nullifies it and we can all cheer against him?) But whatever. I like the discussion here when a rider on someone's team does well, when someone picks a breakthrough rider that no one else has, when someone has a successful rider that they were also a huge fan of before this game came along.

Last year, I spent alot of time picking my team. Really thought through it, thought I had a good chance. Then, boom, first week of February, I lose Ricco (serves me right, really). One of the most expensive picks. Pelizotti's ban is confirmed, one other pick down the drain. Boonen has an even worse year, and Kreuziger underperforms. Most of my most expensive picks have my team listing, about to sink. A decent August-through-October gets me limping into about 20th.

This year, I spend weeks and weeks picking my team after taking notes all year. I knew I had a good chance. Then, day after the game starts, Offredo's done (even though not officially banned for a month and a half after that). I thought it was all over, I'd have to have a perfect team otherwise if I wanted to win.

I was tickled pink when the first event of the season, the Aussie TT champs, gave me 4 of the top 5 finishers. I was even more pleased when, in mid-February, I got into the top 10 overall. The next week I fell to 12th, and thought oh well, at least I got one week there. Then I went back in it the next week and never left. After Romandie, 5 of the top 6, I thought I really had a chance of winning. And the momentum kept going - 2 weeks in a row being the top scorer when already on top of the rankings was beyond my wildest dreams.

Thanks for putting on this awesome game, Hugo. I appreciate everyone who talked things up endlessly before the season started, and I can't wait to do it again next year. Such good cycling minds in this game, and articulate posters like hrotha, hitch, theyoungest. Such awesome work running stats by skibby and ingsve at the start of the year. Such a great job doing updates by cqmanager and teosheva throughout the year.

That was fun, guys; I can't wait to defend the title next year.