Lance Armstrong popularity check - Page 11 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 11-08-12, 15:16

I actually prefer Lance now he hasn't won the Tour 7 times.
Old 11-08-12, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrman View Post
Like Riis you mean? - er no , not like Riis - who kept his title despite admitting doping on that same tour so not so simples.

So it must be only really bad people who have titles taken away like Rasmussens KoM 2005 title
. er no - not like Rasmussen because his KOM title of 2005 was removed for no legal reason at all (that anyone has ever managed to find)

So even less simples.

So it must be down to whether they "like" you - since it clearly has nothing to do with rules or cheating. That is simples - ask Pat Mcqquaid - scapegoats rule! anything to deflect criticism of UCI!

Excuse me, if I do not share this enthusiasm for cycling non justice.
I have to agree with mountainrman.
The Clinic has been living in a vaccum to long and needs to be objective.
But of course if there is debate, then you are a troll.

To the OP.
No I don't feel bad for Lance at all. It is a good thing it has come to this, and he deserves to be stripped.
But for this sport to move forward not only does it need to address the past, but it needs to look into the future. Yep some guys just are not nice (Lance) and some are nice (Hincappie), but ultimately they are both doppers.
Old 11-08-12, 15:34

i did a piece on my blog on all this after it came out "lance fallout" really will make a great movie

My Vuelta preview with the men to watch and the men to avoid
Old 11-08-12, 15:48

Quote:
6 month bans? 2 year bans? 4 year? life? - whatever - provided the justice is handed out impartially - the tarriff can be what you like. Although - WADA are right in saying shorter punishments are more likely to roll back omerta. BUt that means shorter for EVERYONE or NOONE. not just "nice" people.
offered clarity yes, Hincapie took the only expedient escape on offer.

But re: the universality axiom, you note. Armstrong does receive a bad finding re: sporting dope, in one POV. In an interpretation re: corrupt and fraud manipulation of results and competition/races, ok, he can be held to task there. But all of that, would be absolved when you premise cycling is cycling, doping is doping, and they are one and the same. So, Armstrong's manipulation is invalidated. Hence, he has been hard done by.
Old 11-08-12, 15:49
Banned

Quote:
Can you read?

Nowhere have I supported Armstrong either by implication or fact.
I am just not one of the clinics braindead lynch mob - I am interested in the future of cycling not the enjoyment of the Deserved come uppance of Armstrong
I can read fine, thanks.

Quote:
There are wider implications for both justice and cycling, and kangaroo courts that play favourites with no sentence at all for people they like, and vilifying and scapegoating those who are not liked is just more of the same for cycling - it is part of the reason why the sport wide problem has never been tackled.

What part of "hincapie was a whole career doper who contributed as much as anyone else to the doping conspiracy that took 7 tdf titles, so deserves the same treatment as the other participants" do you not understand? Were this a real legal process instead of a mockery his " nazi defence" of I was not the boss, so am not really to blame would be laughed out of court and would be met with the same sentence for conspiracy.

Cycling has learned nothing, other than how to scapegoat a few (again) and say it is clean ( again) . Till the next time that is.
See, the highlighted is just plain wrong.

How did USADA pick "favorites" - was it how many friends the riders have on Facebook, how many 'likes' their fotos received.
Why did the Lance not get off with over 4 million twitter followers?

Is Hincapie equal to in popularity with DaveZ, Levi, Barry etc - because they all the same sentence? ( we will ignore the removed results, as you conveniently ignore it too)
Please let me know how we can get over this terrible injustice.
Old 11-08-12, 16:11

Putting aside the coarser hater drivel for a moment . . .

One thing that has amazed me is the incredibly easy ride that the Livestrong brand has gotten following Lance's downfall. It's obvious that Lance Armstrong knows that his popularity is down the tube, so he is trying to save the Livestrong brand. Heck, I've seen a Livestrong ad on this website.

In the US, the First Amendment permits all kind of fair comment, even regards commercial speech. Why am I not seeing DopeStrong, FraudStrong, CheatStrong, and LieStrong apparel in the familiar black and yellow layout? I don't get it. There's money to be made here and I want my DopeStrong Jersey!
Old 11-08-12, 16:14

Quote:
Like Riis you mean? - er no , not like Riis - who kept his title despite admitting doping on that same tour so not so simples.

So it must be only really bad people who have titles taken away like Rasmussens KoM 2005 title
. er no - not like Rasmussen because his KOM title of 2005 was removed for no legal reason at all (that anyone has ever managed to find)

So even less simples.

So it must be down to whether they "like" you - since it clearly has nothing to do with rules or cheating. That is simples - ask Pat Mcqquaid - scapegoats rule! anything to deflect criticism of UCI!

give Chicken back his title. He won that year. 2007 I think,
Old 11-08-12, 16:40

Quote:

So even less simples.

What exactly is a "simples"?
Old 11-08-12, 16:55
Banned

Quote:
The distancing of those associated with Lance Armstrong continues, even here in Jacksonville.

The Women’s Board of Wolfson Children’s Hospital said Tuesday it has agreed to cancel Armstrong’s appearance as a speaker for its 2012-13 Florida Forum. The series, which raises money and awareness for the hospital, is organized by the board.
Chuckles
Old 11-08-12, 17:03

I feel so stupid today, and not just because I have read some of mountainrman's posts, but more for the fact that I had thought once the evidence was out and it was clear beyond a shadow of a doubt that Armstrong was indeed the biggest fraud in sporting history (not mention charities history) that that would be the end of it. But now here they come again, and the only course they have left is to complain about how the evidence came to light. I guess I just give some people way too much credit for rational thought.

Proud member of the Clinic 1200