Race Thread - Page 4 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cyclo-cross > General

General Skinny tyres, drop handlebars and mud. Lots of mud.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 11-05-12, 16:25
Echoes Echoes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,592
Default

Franzoi wins in Radquer Hittnau, Switzerland. Cool!

1 Enrico FRANZOI ITA 1:00:55
2 Lukas WINTERBERG SUI 1:00:56
3 Elia SILVESTRI ITA 1:01:44
4 Nicola ROHRBACH SUI 1:01:58
5 Marco PONTA ITA 1:02:35
6 Laurent COLOMBATTO FRA 1:02:59
7 Sascha WEBER GER 1:03:10
8 Marcel WILDHABER SUI 1:03:16
9 Andreas MOSER SUI 1:03:18
10 Lars FORSTER SUI 1:03:55
11 Severin SAGESSER SUI 1:04:12
12 Lorenzo SAMPARISI ITA 1:04:13
13 Fabian LIENHARD SUI 1:04:13
14 Lukas MÜLLER SUI 1:04:15
15 René LANG SUI 1:04:34
16 Melvin RULLIERE FRA 1:04:40
17 Michael WILDHABER SUI 1:04:52
18 David KASEK CZE 1:05:39
19 Jonas BAUMANN SUI 1:05:46
20 Martin GLUTH GER 1:05:59
21 Dario STAUBLE SUI
22 Nico BRÜNGGER SUI
23 Stefan ACHERMANN SUI
24 Fabio URSI ITA
25 Vaclav METLICKA SVK
26 Thomas BOULOGNE FRA
27 Peter ERDIN SUI
28 Rick REIMANN SUI
29 Fabian HEROLD SUI
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-07-12, 10:57
Spine Concept Spine Concept is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
No, they haven't. But Holland isn't a cross nation anymore.
...and yet they win in every category on a regular basis except the pro's. Mathieu van der Poel absolutely destroys the field in every single race on the Junior level and judged by his lap times he'd probably dominate the U-23's as well very soon. Mike Teunissen just became European champion at U-23 level and has already won a couple of races emphatically this season. Corné van Kessel is also doing well in that category. Sanne van Paassen is doing really well in the women's category by winning in Tabor and just getting out-sprinted for gold at the EC, and we all know what will happen once Vos starts racing at the end of this month... Even in the ''nieuwelingen'' category the Dutch have strong riders coming up with Max Gulickx recently winning in Zonhoven and either winning or podium for every other race. If this doesn't get the Netherlands interested in cyclocross then nothing will. I fear that as long as they don't break through in the pro ranks nothing will change.

Out of all these - male - riders I think Mathieu van der Poel has the most potential to dominate on pro level, though I really like Lars van der Haar and hope he'll be a genuine force to be reckoned with in a year or two and break the Belgian hegemony. I am also really intrigued by Julien Taramarcaz, hope to see more of him in races to come.

Last edited by Spine Concept; 11-07-12 at 12:33.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-08-12, 10:28
Matthijs Matthijs is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spine Concept View Post
...and yet they win in every category on a regular basis except the pro's. Mathieu van der Poel absolutely destroys the field in every single race on the Junior level and judged by his lap times he'd probably dominate the U-23's as well very soon. Mike Teunissen just became European champion at U-23 level and has already won a couple of races emphatically this season. Corné van Kessel is also doing well in that category. Sanne van Paassen is doing really well in the women's category by winning in Tabor and just getting out-sprinted for gold at the EC, and we all know what will happen once Vos starts racing at the end of this month... Even in the ''nieuwelingen'' category the Dutch have strong riders coming up with Max Gulickx recently winning in Zonhoven and either winning or podium for every other race. If this doesn't get the Netherlands interested in cyclocross then nothing will. I fear that as long as they don't break through in the pro ranks nothing will change.

Out of all these - male - riders I think Mathieu van der Poel has the most potential to dominate on pro level, though I really like Lars van der Haar and hope he'll be a genuine force to be reckoned with in a year or two and break the Belgian hegemony. I am also really intrigued by Julien Taramarcaz, hope to see more of him in races to come.
True, but allmost all races disappeared since Richard Groenendaal is not at hit toplevel any more. The days of Groenendaal, Adri van der Poel and Wim de Vos are over. Just one good guy last 5 years and he switched to the road.
I hope there is a bright future. But Dutch audiences onlywant the best. They cheer for the Tour and Vuelta. The interest will grow as Dutch guys win Wc's, Wereldbeker-rounds and stuff. U23 is interesting and there is potention yes. But they have to stay in the dirt and come on the level as the Belgium guys.

Last edited by Matthijs; 11-08-12 at 10:33.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-08-12, 17:24
theyoungest theyoungest is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spine Concept View Post
...and yet they win in every category on a regular basis except the pro's. Mathieu van der Poel absolutely destroys the field in every single race on the Junior level and judged by his lap times he'd probably dominate the U-23's as well very soon. Mike Teunissen just became European champion at U-23 level and has already won a couple of races emphatically this season. Corné van Kessel is also doing well in that category. Sanne van Paassen is doing really well in the women's category by winning in Tabor and just getting out-sprinted for gold at the EC, and we all know what will happen once Vos starts racing at the end of this month... Even in the ''nieuwelingen'' category the Dutch have strong riders coming up with Max Gulickx recently winning in Zonhoven and either winning or podium for every other race. If this doesn't get the Netherlands interested in cyclocross then nothing will. I fear that as long as they don't break through in the pro ranks nothing will change.

Out of all these - male - riders I think Mathieu van der Poel has the most potential to dominate on pro level, though I really like Lars van der Haar and hope he'll be a genuine force to be reckoned with in a year or two and break the Belgian hegemony. I am also really intrigued by Julien Taramarcaz, hope to see more of him in races to come.
I'm not saying Holland sucks in cyclocross (certainly not in the youth categories) but the Dutch public doesn't give a rat's a.ss about the sport. I doubt most of them even know it exists.

Mathieu van der Poel to me seems a really big talent, who will turn out to be too good to stay in cyclocross. But we'll see.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-08-12, 18:33
Spine Concept Spine Concept is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
I'm not saying Holland sucks in cyclocross (certainly not in the youth categories) but the Dutch public doesn't give a rat's a.ss about the sport. I doubt most of them even know it exists.

Mathieu van der Poel to me seems a really big talent, who will turn out to be too good to stay in cyclocross. But we'll see.
I wasn't implying that you said Holland sucks in cyclocross hence the ''...and yet'' as in ''be that as it may...'' start of my post and the ''if that doesn't get Holland interested in cyclocross then nothing will'' bit. I was just pointing out what a shame it is that Holland disregard the great results of their compatriots in all ranks - except the pro's - of late. Which is why I really hope van der Haar and/or van der Poel really make it big on pro level and command the respect they deserve. Agree on van der Poel though, albeit probably being the biggest talent in cyclocross currently, that might also be his biggest hurdle; staying put.

Last edited by Spine Concept; 11-08-12 at 18:42.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-14-12, 13:52
Matthijs Matthijs is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spine Concept View Post
I wasn't implying that you said Holland sucks in cyclocross hence the ''...and yet'' as in ''be that as it may...'' start of my post and the ''if that doesn't get Holland interested in cyclocross then nothing will'' bit. I was just pointing out what a shame it is that Holland disregard the great results of their compatriots in all ranks - except the pro's - of late. Which is why I really hope van der Haar and/or van der Poel really make it big on pro level and command the respect they deserve. Agree on van der Poel though, albeit probably being the biggest talent in cyclocross currently, that might also be his biggest hurdle; staying put.
Let's not forget Tijmen Eijsing, Corne van Kessel and Mike Teunissen. Or Sophie de Boer and Sabrina Stultiens (who joined the pro-races too soon because she too good for junior racing like Lars van der Haar or Tom meeusen two season ago). Or Twan van de Brand and Thijs van Amerongen.
I noticed a slight increase in tv-exposure. I think they show some World Cup events live on Dutch tv, depending on the schemes of other sports. Probably because Lars van der Haar.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-14-12, 23:02
Echoes Echoes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,592
Default

and Gert-Jan Bosman!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-16-12, 08:26
Spine Concept Spine Concept is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs View Post
Let's not forget Tijmen Eijsing, Corne van Kessel and Mike Teunissen. Or Sophie de Boer and Sabrina Stultiens (who joined the pro-races too soon because she too good for junior racing like Lars van der Haar or Tom meeusen two season ago). Or Twan van de Brand and Thijs van Amerongen.
I noticed a slight increase in tv-exposure. I think they show some World Cup events live on Dutch tv, depending on the schemes of other sports. Probably because Lars van der Haar.
I already mentioned Corné van Kessel and Mike Teunissen just a couple of posts above. The others you mentioned were not really at the forefront - though van der Brand and van Amerongen did get some top 10 placings - this season yet which is why I did not mention them. Lars van der Haar really deserves the exposure though, he's been awesome, especially when you consider that he's technically still an espoir. I think Mathieu van der Poel will be a more dominating force in the pro ranks though, being a junior and looking at his lap times he would probably be dominating the espoirs already - and easily riding in the pro peloton. I also hope that Meeusen can turn the tide this season and have some good luck for a change, the poor guy has had enough already.

Last edited by Spine Concept; 11-16-12 at 08:32.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-16-12, 19:41
Echoes Echoes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,592
Default

Bosman > van Kessel, for me.

He's not in form this winter season, but last year for his 1st year as U23, he was impressive. And this summer too.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-17-12, 16:13
Echoes Echoes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,592
Default

Cyclocross fans, still alive?

BPost event today in Hasselt, Nys with 15 seconds ahead of Albert on a course that is usually short on gaps between 1st and 2nd.

Tomorrow, Superprestige Asper Gavere, my own favourite.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.