Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 11-08-12, 17:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala Verde View Post
That was fast...

Are you alright? How are you feeling? Is there something we can do for you? I think I am speaking for everyone when I say we are/were concerned....
No. I'm great. But thanks for the concern. I'm sure it comes from the heart

So how about those R's gettin steamrolled?? Yikes. Pretty big shift in the electorate that has been completely missed by the know-it-all's on the right.

I have a couple of observations... wanna hear 'em?

Harry Reid was pretty funny yesterday. He's willing to work with Repubs but he's not going to get pushed around. Fair enough. Then he starts the process to change the filibuster rules in the Senate (on top of the amendment rules he's already changed). WTF? I guess he does not think the Dems will ever again be in the minority in the Senate. Typically talking out of both sides of his mouth and it is code for "I am going to f'ing drop the hammer of those f'ing Repubs..." Pretty funny stuff.

Watch California very closely over the next couple of years. I think whatever happens here in the very near future will be exactly what happens across the US in 2014 and 2016 and even further on. We voted in Prop 30 which raised sales tax and income tax on higher wage earners. BUT, the Cali legislature now has a Dem super-majority... first time in 80 years which means they control everything and cannot be opposed. So, if California solves their fiscal challenges and manages to spur huge economic growth with massive tax increases and unbridled liberalism then that is what the USA will look like within the next decade or so.

If it's a dismal failure then I think the the rest of the country will still go that way but probably over two or three decades.
Old 11-08-12, 18:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post

So how about those R's gettin steamrolled?? Yikes. Pretty big shift in the electorate that has been completely missed by the know-it-all's on the right.

Harry Reid was pretty funny yesterday. He's willing to work with Repubs but he's not going to get pushed around. Fair enough. Then he starts the process to change the filibuster rules in the Senate (on top of the amendment rules he's already changed). WTF? I guess he does not think the Dems will ever again be in the minority in the Senate. Typically talking out of both sides of his mouth and it is code for "I am going to f'ing drop the hammer of those f'ing Repubs..." Pretty funny stuff.

Watch California very closely over the next couple of years. I think whatever happens here in the very near future will be exactly what happens across the US in 2014 and 2016 and even further on. We voted in Prop 30 which raised sales tax and income tax on higher wage earners. BUT, the Cali legislature now has a Dem super-majority... first time in 80 years which means they control everything and cannot be opposed. So, if California solves their fiscal challenges and manages to spur huge economic growth with massive tax increases and unbridled liberalism then that is what the USA will look like within the next decade or so.

If it's a dismal failure then I think the the rest of the country will still go that way but probably over two or three decades.
Better get used to it.

http://www.pri.org/stories/politics-...des-10078.html

Quote:
“I used to be Republican, but ever since they started the Latino bashing, I actually switched sides," he explained.

Latino bashing? He, and others, complained about the Republican Party’s harsh rhetoric on immigration control. And they rattled off complaints about the Republican-controlled Texas legislature.

“The state legislature here effectively de-funded education here. The people that are most affected by that are the Latino and African-American communities,” said Rey Guerra, a mechanical engineer and political activist.
Texas is on the road to becoming a blue state within 20 years - both Obama and Jeb Bush actually predicted that Texas will be in play in 2016, though personally I think that's a bit optimistic - and without Texas I don't see how any traditional (ie Mitt Romney type) R presidential candidate has any chance. And it's entirely the Rs own fault, by alienating their own people and treating them as if they are second-class.
Old 11-08-12, 18:08

Quote:

This is a fine example of just how totally different the US mindset defines things. What you (the whole US system) call a "super majority" i.e. the party that has won the election actually being able to pass the legislation it wants to pass, which is something you see as worrying, Scott - this is how 'democracy' works in the entire rest of the civilized, western world!

The party/ parties that win, have a majority in the legislature that allows them (obviously after much discussion, debate and often compromise) to pass legislation at will. It is incomprehensible to most foreign observers how the US system of checks and balances, which was originally certainly a splendid idea, has somehow morphed into a monstrosity that consistently allows the legislature to thwart the (best) intentions of those elected to govern. It also, for example, enables those elected to govern to on occasion make partisan political SCOTUS appointments that can shape certain aspects of public life for decades into the future. I am not aware of any other western democracy that feels it is right and proper for the country's highest judges to be overt political appointees.

I'm just saying, you shouldn't automatically be suspicious and worried about the winner of the election having an actual 'working majority'.
Old 11-08-12, 18:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
Better get used to it.

http://www.pri.org/stories/politics-...des-10078.html

Texas is on the road to becoming a blue state within 20 years - both Obama and Jeb Bush actually predicted that Texas will be in play in 2016, though personally I think that's a bit optimistic - and without Texas I don't see how any traditional (ie Mitt Romney type) R presidential candidate has any chance. And it's entirely the Rs own fault, by alienating their own people and treating them as if they are second-class.
You are right about the direction of Texas. I'd argue that this is now true in all but the south.

Quote:
by alienating their own people and treating them as if they are second-class.
I don't think this is even a very big part of the reason. Heather Mac Donald I think has hit the nail on the head with what's truly going on here;

http://www.city-journal.org/2012/22_...ographics.html
Old 11-08-12, 18:42

The best thing for the Repubs to do is a grand bargain on immigration that puts the issue behind them. In exchange for amnesty, which is inevitable, they should require a way for employers to verify citizenship status AND impose very heavy civil, maybe even criminal, sanctions for those who hire illegals. At the same time they might give tax benefits for investing in Mexico and Latin America that incentivize people to invest there instead of China.

I don't think they will do this because despite all the nashing of teeth about the country being "invaded" by illegals from the Republican soldiers in the trenches, the Republican generals are backed by business interests that want an influx of low paid workers.

On the legislative front there are probably a lot of things that Republicans want that they could get if they are willing to deal big. Tort reform for one. Simplified tax code for another.

Last edited by BroDeal; 11-08-12 at 18:47.

Quote:
So what did I miss?
Not much really just,,,,,,,,,,,

The rampant voter fraud in Merika allowed a Non-Merikan, Muslim, tax crazed, Big Oil hater to be re-elected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
This is a fine example of just how totally different the US mindset defines things. What you (the whole US system) call a "super majority" i.e. the party that has won the election actually being able to pass the legislation it wants to pass, which is something you see as worrying, Scott - this is how 'democracy' works in the entire rest of the civilized, western world!

The party/ parties that win, have a majority in the legislature that allows them (obviously after much discussion, debate and often compromise) to pass legislation at will. It is incomprehensible to most foreign observers how the US system of checks and balances, which was originally certainly a splendid idea, has somehow morphed into a monstrosity that consistently allows the legislature to thwart the (best) intentions of those elected to govern. It also, for example, enables those elected to govern to on occasion make partisan political SCOTUS appointments that can shape certain aspects of public life for decades into the future. I am not aware of any other western democracy that feels it is right and proper for the country's highest judges to be overt political appointees.

I'm just saying, you shouldn't automatically be suspicious and worried about the winner of the election having an actual 'working majority'.
Quote:
I understand. There are rules put in place here to prevent the majority party from steamrolling the minority party. In Cali, they legislature needs 2/3 majority to increase taxes. I think that was voted on by proposition some years ago.

Quote:
The party/ parties that win, have a majority in the legislature that allows them (obviously after much discussion, debate and often compromise) to pass legislation at will. It is incomprehensible to most foreign observers how the US system of checks and balances, which was originally certainly a splendid idea, has somehow morphed into a monstrosity that consistently allows the legislature to thwart the (best) intentions of those elected to govern.
Well, much of the rest of the world isn't dealing with a two party system. Believe me, under our system the ability to filibuster is necessary and both sides have a long history of using it.

Quote:
I'm just saying, you shouldn't automatically be suspicious and worried about the winner of the election having an actual 'working majority'
This was on the front page of today's LA Times;

"The pressure on Democrats to restore funding for the many services slashed to balance the budget in recent years will be intense.

Already, activists are pressing lawmakers to pump new money into such programs as college scholarships, dental care for the needy and, of course, public schools."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,6253598.story

It's already started.
Old 11-08-12, 18:45

Quote:
You are right about the direction of Texas. I'd argue that this is now true in all but the south.

I don't think this is even a very big part of the reason. Heather Mac Donald I think has hit the nail on the head with what's truly going on here;

http://www.city-journal.org/2012/22_...ographics.html
whoa....Does ChrisE know about this?

I will stay away from the state of Texas for a while. There is bound to be some good ole fashioned shoot outs soon.

Hey did you guys see this? First to jump ship?

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/...orney-general/
Old 11-08-12, 18:49

Quote:
I understand. There are rules put in place here to prevent the majority party from steamrolling the minority party. In Cali, they legislature needs 2/3 majority to increase taxes. I think that was voted on by proposition some years ago.

Well, much of the rest of the world isn't dealing with a two party system. Believe me, under our system the ability to filibuster is necessary and both sides have a long history of using it.

This was on the front page of today's LA Times;

"The pressure on Democrats to restore funding for the many services slashed to balance the budget in recent years will be intense.

Already, activists are pressing lawmakers to pump new money into such programs as college scholarships, dental care for the needy and, of course, public schools."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,6253598.story

It's already started.
Time to give out money you don't even have yet. Great Idea. I will recomend that you guys raise taxes for every month for a year and save some money. Then give it away.
Old 11-08-12, 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
The best thing for the Repubs to do is a grand bargain on immigration that puts the issue behind them. In exchange for amnesty, which is inevitable, they should require a way for employers to verify citizenship status AND impose very heavy civil, maybe even criminal, sanctions for those who hire illegals. At the same time they might give tax benefits for investing in Mexico and Latin America that incentivize people to invest there instead of China.

I don't think they will do this because despite all the nashing of teeth about the country being "invaded" by illegals from the Republican trenches, the Republican generals are backed by business interests that want an influx of low paid workers.

On the legislative front there are probably a lot of things that Republicans want that they could get if they are willing to deal big. Tort reform for one. Simplified tax code for another.

I agree. I don't think there's going to be much opposition from the R's.

I think if Obama can pull off reducing spending and somehow get a nice rise in GDP there will be a D controlled government for 30 or more years. The pro-growth limited govt types like me are just becoming noise in the background.