Tubs vs clinchers: Clinchers are faster.. - Page 4 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 11-06-12, 23:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
I beg to differ. I think we've all had that experience where you're 60 miles out on a seriously fast, no mercy group ride and half way up some monster climb you start losing contact, and you know it has nothing to do with your inability to say no to a third slice of pumpkin pie or those rides you missed due to your late-night research into the most recent developments in small-batch bourbons--it's all because you chose the wrong tires. Damn rolling resistance!
tee hee

reality, what a concept.
Old 11-07-12, 01:22

I get a chuckle out of all the people who post numbers (not necessarily you) and debate rolling resistance, drag, contact surface area to no end then have a out of true wheel that rubs the brake pads or the hub(s) is so dry or loose that its all for nothing. We won't go into the chain that sticks to anything that it touches or a BB that sounds like a sand grinder.

Anyway, I still ride the Conti 4K's just because I liked them, starting when I tried them a few years ago and I didn't have any of those numbers on hand when I bought the tires, my main attraction to them was their new kevlar belt to prevent flats and some marketing BS, so I tried them after cutting the Nth Vittoria and thinking this just sucks. Whether it was luck or a bad tire who knows but I still dumped the Vittoria's for Conti 4K's and no numbers or time were ever wasted on my decision. They still ride well and so the tire rotates...

Yea, I've also tried other brands along the way and didn't like them as well for some reason or another but again I have no idea if they were theoretically better.
Old 11-07-12, 02:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by laziali View Post
He sure did. When I pointed that out a number of months ago on another tubs v clinchers thread here the response from one poster was "yeah, one guy" you can't win against that - I still remember folks saying it's only one guy when Lemond used the clip on aero bars in the 89 Tour. Fignon sitting weeping begged to differ ...
Tony Martin now rides Specialized TT clinchers.Even faster than the Conti's apparently.Based on the numbers we are hearing,Wiggins and Cancellara literally have no chance.
So much for SKy's marginal gains.They don't have a tyre sponsor and so can use any rubber they want.For some reason they mostly use Veloflex tubulars instead of Specialized clinchers.
Old 11-07-12, 02:16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by simo1733 View Post
Tony Martin now rides Specialized TT clinchers.Even faster than the Conti's apparently.Based on the numbers we are hearing,Wiggins and Cancellara literally have no chance.
So much for SKy's marginal gains.They don't have a tyre sponsor and so can use any rubber they want.For some reason they mostly use Veloflex tubulars instead of Specialized clinchers.
You have to wonder whether these guys are using production versions of the tires.
Old 11-07-12, 03:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
But minimizing wheel/tire weight is important for races with lots of climbing (where aero drag is less of a factor) or for races where there is lots of deceleration and acceleration.
Overall weight of the bike (and rider) is what is important in acceleration and climbing, not just wheel weight. The lower inertia of light rims and tyres is irrelevant when the acceleration of the bike is limited by the overall mass (and therefore inertia) of bike and rider.

Common misconception tho'.
Old 11-07-12, 14:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncehadhair View Post
Overall weight of the bike (and rider) is what is important in acceleration and climbing, not just wheel weight. The lower inertia of light rims and tyres is irrelevant when the acceleration of the bike is limited by the overall mass (and therefore inertia) of bike and rider.

Well said and very true.
Old 11-07-12, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncehadhair View Post

I agree with you that total weight including wheel weight is key. Over a speed of 20 mph aero drag is important and increases with the square of velocity with tire/rim profile also being important.
Old 11-08-12, 22:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I agree with you that total weight including wheel weight is key. Over a speed of 20 mph aero drag is important and increases with the square of velocity with tire/rim profile also being important.
My post was more in response to riders who fit light rims because they "spin up faster", totally unaware that the factor limiting their acceleration is overall mass.

Your comment about wind is correct. That's why i find it amazing that i am turning myself inside out to average anything more than 35 ks and the pros can average 50 - where the air drag is huge and mass becomes of minor significance.
Old 11-09-12, 10:14

Location: byron bay, NYC, Bangkok, Radelaide, Sydney, Sunshine Coast.

Ive been killing the local Strava KOM's lately on Pro Race 3, Conti 4000s and Vittoria CX Evo's.

Conti's 'feel' the fastest.

Strava data
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600
Old 11-09-12, 11:03

Good to know its not the bananas