U.S. Politics - Page 482 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #4811  
Old 11-08-12, 21:44
Scott SoCal's Avatar
Scott SoCal Scott SoCal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutto View Post
...Society has grown too large...and more importantly, too complex....in fact its amazing that a system designed several hundred years ago still functions as well as it does in this modern age...

Cheers

blutto
Apparently so.

I see real danger though. In Cali our population is roughly 37 million. There are roughly 300,000 tax filers that will be effected by the new tax increase. This group accounts for over half of the income tax collected in CA.

Even a small reduction in the size of this this group will hurt badly the state's ability to realize revenue increases. Then there will be more pressure to tax this group resulting in more incentive to flee the State.
Reply With Quote
  #4812  
Old 11-08-12, 21:44
Bala Verde's Avatar
Bala Verde Bala Verde is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 7,112
Send a message via MSN to Bala Verde Send a message via Skype™ to Bala Verde
Default

Epic Unhinged Teatard (?) Rant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLoqt...ature=youtu.be


Quote:
I spent 8 months in a Palin group.

I am so [@#$%#%^] mad at Sarah Palin tonight. I could spit nails at her. She failed this country. She should have stepped up. She should have ran... I know she has small kids. But everyone makes sacrifices. .. SARAH....
Quote:
If you don't understand that, get off the #%@$#& internet. You are in the way
And Freepers wanting to rejoin the UK to escape socialism:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2956850/posts

and nothing exudes confidence as much as going live with your post-election transition website with instructions for those seeking sweet sweet administration jobs.



What has the world come to.

Last edited by Bala Verde; 11-08-12 at 22:32.
Reply With Quote
  #4813  
Old 11-08-12, 21:53
Scott SoCal's Avatar
Scott SoCal Scott SoCal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
This is why you guys still don't and probably never will get it.
It's not my conclusion. I've posted the link twice.

Quote:
Higher rates of Hispanic poverty drive this disparity in welfare consumption. Hispanics made up nearly 60 percent of California’s poor in 2010, despite being less than 38 percent of the population. Nearly one-quarter of all Hispanics in California are poor, compared with a little over one-tenth of non-Hispanics. Nationally, the poverty rate of Hispanic adults drops from 25.5 percent in the first generation—the immigrant generation, that is—to 17 percent in the second but rises to 19 percent in the third, according to a Center for Immigration Studies analysis. (The poverty rate for white adults is 9 percent.) That frustrating third-generation economic stall repeats the pattern in high school graduation and college completion rates as well.
The statistics are either correct or incorrect. Maybe you want to argue with the conclusion? Okay, argue away.

If you are right the D's are going to get the Hispanic vote. If Ms. Mac Donald is right the D's are still going to get the Hispanic vote.
Reply With Quote
  #4814  
Old 11-09-12, 01:32
Amsterhammer's Avatar
Amsterhammer Amsterhammer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 3,186
Default

I see that Puerto Rico has voted for statehood by the required majority. What all has to happen now before we get a 51st state, and is this a 'good thing'? I have no opinion, I simply don't know.
__________________
The LOTE has won, all hail the LOTE.
Reply With Quote
  #4815  
Old 11-09-12, 02:51
Hugh Januss's Avatar
Hugh Januss Hugh Januss is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: socal
Posts: 5,843
Default

I see that Scott has come back to talk about whatever it is he likes to talk about. Usually it has something to do with the Cali welfare state, but he ignores the fact that the "Hispanic population" in California really does all the heavy lifting for basically poverty wages, and that the upper end of the middle class pays those wages (nannies, gardeners, guys who make awesome stone walls and fireplaces, guys who cart off the stuff that the city trash collectors won't take). In reality the "tax burden" that results is just a way of making the rest of us pay so the really rich can get good deals on things that the rest of the middle class can not afford.
__________________
"Science flies us to the moon. Religion flies us into buildings."

Proud member of the Clinic 1200
Reply With Quote
  #4816  
Old 11-09-12, 04:39
Scott SoCal's Avatar
Scott SoCal Scott SoCal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Januss View Post
I see that Scott has come back to talk about whatever it is he likes to talk about. Usually it has something to do with the Cali welfare state, but he ignores the fact that the "Hispanic population" in California really does all the heavy lifting for basically poverty wages, and that the upper end of the middle class pays those wages (nannies, gardeners, guys who make awesome stone walls and fireplaces, guys who cart off the stuff that the city trash collectors won't take). In reality the "tax burden" that results is just a way of making the rest of us pay so the really rich can get good deals on things that the rest of the middle class can not afford.

Sssup, HJ? How's the cross season treating you? I paid $12 a beer and $10 to park at Sppokycross. I hope you guys racing enjoyed it because the spectating sucked.

You should read the piece written by Ms Mac Donald. It draws interesting conclusions backed up with facts and real data. It's not a hit piece... just read it.
Then you can walk back most of your snotty post.
Reply With Quote
  #4817  
Old 11-09-12, 07:21
rhubroma's Avatar
rhubroma rhubroma is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,405
Default

The extent to which the right-wing has polluted politics with the vitriol of loathing and hate, transforming this last presidential campaign into a quasi-civil war; has been perfectly summarized in this ghastly piece.

There are family members (republicans) in America, who have stopped speaking to other family members (democrats); idem with friends. And to think in Europe one can say he is a communist and not be insulted, because it’s not taken as an insult, but a political position.

It also testifies to the fact that within modern global democracy, there is no one further to right than a right-wing American.

Last edited by rhubroma; 11-09-12 at 07:29.
Reply With Quote
  #4818  
Old 11-09-12, 07:43
rhubroma's Avatar
rhubroma rhubroma is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
..the south FL Cubans already are pretty conservative.
http://www.city-journal.org/2012/22_...ographics.html
Just to make a precision about the political inclinations of the defected Cubans, they are convinced of the salvific nature of American style capitalism and hence are not merely "pretty conservative," but would vote for the Antichrist himself so long as he wasn't a socialist.

Those I have met who have made it to Europe are less radicalized and hold a more nuanced and balanced position, which evidences a cultural difference in regards to extremism and free-market, capitalist viewpoints between the two democratic galaxies. Of course this is a problem for the republican party in the complex and morphed world of today, for which any extremism is not fortuitous. They have become radicalized and cannot see that the type of uber-capitalism they embrace, with all the fervor of religious fundamentalists and the Politburo, inevitably leads, because is the cause of, the crisis in capitalism and thus cannot be resovled, as they maintain it can, by the same filamentary policy.

Last edited by rhubroma; 11-09-12 at 08:01.
Reply With Quote
  #4819  
Old 11-09-12, 11:41
Glenn_Wilson's Avatar
Glenn_Wilson Glenn_Wilson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 2,601
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubroma View Post
Just to make a precision about the political inclinations of the defected Cubans, they are convinced of the salvific nature of American style capitalism and hence are not merely "pretty conservative," but would vote for the Antichrist himself so long as he wasn't a socialist.

Those I have met who have made it to Europe are less radicalized and hold a more nuanced and balanced position, which evidences a cultural difference in regards to extremism and free-market, capitalist viewpoints between the two democratic galaxies. Of course this is a problem for the republican party in the complex and morphed world of today, for which any extremism is not fortuitous. They have become radicalized and cannot see that the type of uber-capitalism they embrace, with all the fervor of religious fundamentalists and the Politburo, inevitably leads, because is the cause of, the crisis in capitalism and thus cannot be resovled, as they maintain it can, by the same filamentary policy.
It is nice to hear that the Cubans who have made it to Europe are less radical and have a more balance.

You just made that crap up. Do you have experience working with all the defected Cubans in America?

Thanks for the lecture in regards to what is wrong with the USA defected Cubans as compared to the European counterparts.

Imagine if the USA had the vision to drop all of this embargo crap and flooded Cuba with the big bad capitalist goods and services. Wow imagine what the people would do with food, water, toilet paper, cars, cheap electronics...on and on. That bad capitalist just might start another revolution and Fidel and family would find their a$$'s out of a job or dead. Oh well.
__________________
something less offensive
Reply With Quote
  #4820  
Old 11-09-12, 12:20
patricknd's Avatar
patricknd patricknd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: houston texas
Posts: 1,624
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
Sssup, HJ? How's the cross season treating you? I paid $12 a beer and $10 to park at Sppokycross. I hope you guys racing enjoyed it because the spectating sucked.

You should read the piece written by Ms Mac Donald. It draws interesting conclusions backed up with facts and real data. It's not a hit piece... just read it.
Then you can walk back most of your snotty post.
$12 a beer to pay for a sport catering to wealthy, aging, elitists to pretend they're still athletes? supporting that makes you part of the problem..... please tell me it wasn't bud light !!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.