U.S. Politics - Page 486 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 11-09-12, 21:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
Glad you're back, Scott. There was something seriously out of balance when Glenn and I are the most conservative people in the conversation, and I'm only posting here maybe once a week (and Glenn is institutionalized). Just don't get too worked up, and know when to take a break.

Naw. I'll be fine. Didn't know Glenn was in the nuthouse. How does he type in a straightjacket? Prolly good dictation software...

I'm starting to think there's inevitability now, particularly if you look at the shift in the electorate. BroDeal hit it...

Quote:
People should concentrate on effective government because we are never going back to an idealized past where government was small and limited. Society has grown too large for that.
Plus, the national election was never going to fundamentally change things... at least anytime soon. But California... that is a whole different story.

Last edited by Scott SoCal; 11-09-12 at 21:08.
Old 11-09-12, 21:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
This is one possibility....I'd already thought of starting a 2014 topic when Bala mentioned that the next campaign had already begun, but that would be a bit premature.

For obvious reasons, recent political talk in the cafe has focused on the US election. I believe there is still plenty of talking to do that is specifically US related. I would suggest re-naming this topic to 'US' politics while retaining the old one for expected crises in Oz, the UK and elsewhere. There's a virtual war in Syria, Greece...loads that will come to the fore now that the election is over. I really think there is a justifiable need to have separate US and global politics discussion topics. Re-naming this one should take it nicely up to 2014, when the next real presidential election topic can be opened.

.02 from Amsterdam.
I agree. Rename this one US Politics.
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
Old 11-09-12, 22:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
And the first of the names bandied about as possible candidates for 2016 goes down.
A foreign policy ticket wont work, not for 2016 anyway, but both petreus and condi are young enough to be able to wait till 2020 or even 24. It wont hurt Petreus though, not in the long run as Mccain and Rudy have managed fine enough with affairs of their own.

Its between christie and Rubio but from what ive seen but Rubio has twice the brain cells of Christie, or any republican in for the running for that matter, is new enough to be able to still "adjust" some views without big repercussions, and will be favored by the establishment due to certain "qualities" he brings to the table.

Petreus and Condi could be well in the running for the veep pick though, especially with someone like Rubio at the head. Or Jeb Bush may be willing to relocate to Wyoming.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 11-09-12, 22:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
Another fantastic comment. Maybe we should just go ahead and nationalize? Weren't you tooting the GM bailout success horn? Do you know what a small fraction of CEO's took bailout money?

Try again.

Like most in govt now you have not listened to employers and you aren't going to.

Hopefully, you and the feds know best.
Because like Zafran says, we need to deregulate and allow CEO's and Wall St the freedom to do what's right and best for the country, which will lead to a soaring economy and prosperity for all and...oh wait, right, that didn't work out so well last time, did it.
Old 11-09-12, 22:38

Well that didn't take long.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/1...-theory-saddle

Don't you guys on the right ever get tired of the bull**** you're constantly being shoveled?
Old 11-09-12, 22:53

Quote:
Because like Zafran says, we need to deregulate and allow CEO's and Wall St the freedom to do what's right and best for the country, which will lead to a soaring economy and prosperity for all and...oh wait, right, that didn't work out so well last time, did it.
Well lookey here. The merry-go-round goes in a circle. Who knew?

You know that Clinton was considered somewhat a de-regulatory President? Crazy, huh? Worked pretty well for him. Remember the Financial Service Modernization Act? Yeah... that replaced Glass-Stegall... oops.
Old 11-09-12, 23:02

Quote:

Don't you guys on the right ever get tired of the bull**** you're constantly being shoveled?
Yes. We can agree on that.

Just curious tho, how did the MoveOn.org full page ad back in 2007 play with you? You remember, they accused Petraeus of "cooking the books" for the White House. I think the headline was "General Betray-Us."

Old 11-09-12, 23:16

Quote:

Following on nicely from the above latest from, what Jon Stewart so aptly calls, Bullsh!t Mountain, I offer my final trawl from the depths that wingnut loonies have plunged to in their post-defeat trauma.

(Scott - this is in no way directed at you, I already posted some of these before your return, and I do not consider you to be one of these utter cretins.)

Posts under a picture of the electoral map, with states appropriately colored red and blue, above which it says - "shared President Mitt Romney 2012's photo."

"It makes no sense. Fire the electorate let the people speak for themselves"

"Republicans need to take over the blue areas on this map I have chosen not to move back to Texas I will stay in Washington state and try to turn it red."

"We should all move to Texas, and then succeed the Union!" (sic)

:If only there's a place we all can move to... that is rich in oil and start a new government, new country, new president....I bet you half of the American people will be there along with all the intelligent ones who knows how to turn this country around. But, we won't take the other half...we will leave there broke because they don't know how the American dream works and follow the constitution....only if"

"If Obama can redistribute wealth, then we should re distribute the country into zones of Americans and zones of Obama Zombies!!!"

"Look at this map, as I've been doing and tell me HOW the non-American won again when he carried so many fewer states than we did??? It's just wrong in every single way!!!!!"

"obama is a weak person. Gays, leftists, liberals, lazy people, muslims, voted for him to use him for their own benefits. Other countries would rather obama win because they don't like America with a strong principle. With this kind of president it's easy for the world. It's too bad..too bad...for America to have missed a very competent person to be president. It's too bad gays, leftists, liberal, lazy people, muslims now outnumber conservative. I am very disappointed. Still can't digest Romney's lost"

"Obama made sure that the Military did not get their ballots to vote and if they would have, Obama would be packing up his junk. I am so glad that I live in a red area and Ann Romney would have been he most Beautiful First Lady we have had. Over the next two weeks, Obama will have to go to Court because of the Impeachment Charges for his Fraudulent activities and stepping over Congress and calling shots to have a small country bombed and so many woman and children died because of him, I hope that he suffers the rest of his life."

The following gem was posted by a Chinese woman.

"Obama supporters= racist, ignorant, uneducated, evil, wicked, illiterate, immoral, Satan followers. Michelle Obama looks like a big black monkey."

(Not one of the God loving Christians babbling on about God and prayers and decency and values felt moved to call this b itch out of order!)

A final gob from the barf bag -

"Ann Romney is the epitome of what an American woman, mother, wife looks like...could not have represented us better. God bless you Ann and the days ahead....you deserve a fantastic vacation and time with your 18 precious grandchildren. Hug Mitt for us....and hold your head high..you both are Classy Compassionate Americans....God Bless! thanks for all your tireless efforts and sacrifice. You set the stage for 2016, we will get our House back!! Love you!"

And my favorite of the day, in part because it sailed completely over their heads, in part because all his epithets could be found on that page, in part because the poster called himself Blind Lemming Chiffon, which I thought was a pretty cool name.

"Republicans are treasonous racist terrorist Hitler lovers who hate America and everything it stands for. Please go back to Iran where you came from, you flea-infested ignorant unpatriotic fascists."

Thank you, and good night.
Old 11-09-12, 23:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
Following on nicely from the above latest from, what Jon Stewart so aptly calls, Bullsh!t Mountain, I offer my final trawl from the depths that wingnut loonies have plunged to in their post-defeat trauma.

(Scott - this is in no way directed at you, I already posted some of these before your return, and I do not consider you to be one of these utter cretins.)

Posts under a picture of the electoral map, with states appropriately colored red and blue, above which it says - "shared President Mitt Romney 2012's photo."

"Republicans need to take over the blue areas on this map I have chosen not to move back to Texas I will stay in Washington state and try to turn it red."

"We should all move to Texas, and then succeed the Union!" (sic)

:If only there's a place we all can move to... that is rich in oil and start a new government, new country, new president....I bet you half of the American people will be there along with all the intelligent ones who knows how to turn this country around. But, we won't take the other half...we will leave there broke because they don't know how the American dream works and follow the constitution....only if"

"If Obama can redistribute wealth, then we should re distribute the country into zones of Americans and zones of Obama Zombies!!!"

"Look at this map, as I've been doing and tell me HOW the non-American won again when he carried so many fewer states than we did??? It's just wrong in every single way!!!!!"

"obama is a weak person. Gays, leftists, liberals, lazy people, muslims, voted for him to use him for their own benefits. Other countries would rather obama win because they don't like America with a strong principle. With this kind of president it's easy for the world. It's too bad..too bad...for America to have missed a very competent person to be president. It's too bad gays, leftists, liberal, lazy people, muslims now outnumber conservative. I am very disappointed. Still can't digest Romney's lost"

"Obama made sure that the Military did not get their ballots to vote and if they would have, Obama would be packing up his junk. I am so glad that I live in a red area and Ann Romney would have been he most Beautiful First Lady we have had. Over the next two weeks, Obama will have to go to Court because of the Impeachment Charges for his Fraudulent activities and stepping over Congress and calling shots to have a small country bombed and so many woman and children died because of him, I hope that he suffers the rest of his life."

The following gem was posted by a Chinese woman.

"Obama supporters= racist, ignorant, uneducated, evil, wicked, illiterate, immoral, Satan followers. Michelle Obama looks like a big black monkey."

(Not one of the God loving Christians babbling on about God and prayers and decency and values felt moved to call this b itch out of order!)

A final gob from the barf bag -

"Ann Romney is the epitome of what an American woman, mother, wife looks like...could not have represented us better. God bless you Ann and the days ahead....you deserve a fantastic vacation and time with your 18 precious grandchildren. Hug Mitt for us....and hold your head high..you both are Classy Compassionate Americans....God Bless! thanks for all your tireless efforts and sacrifice. You set the stage for 2016, we will get our House back!! Love you!"

And my favorite of the day, in part because it sailed completely over their heads, in part because all his epithets could be found on that page, in part because the poster called himself Blind Lemming Chiffon, which I thought was a pretty cool name.

"Republicans are treasonous racist terrorist Hitler lovers who hate America and everything it stands for. Please go back to Iran where you came from, you flea-infested ignorant unpatriotic fascists."

Thank you, and good night.
Quote:
I think I might use this one as my signature.
Old 11-10-12, 00:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubroma View Post
Much mention is given to the Obama-Romney campaign in the Smiley interviews below, so this has a place here:

Oliver Stone, as reported in la Repubblica today, has produced a series on US history from WWII till the present called Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States. It consists of 10 episodes and will be shown on Showtime beginning on Monday Nov. 12 and narrated by him.
For more information (the Travis Smiley interviews are particularly interesting, which although naive in regards to states like Russia and China are nonetheless about time for Americans to hear):

http://www.sho.com/sho/oliver-stones...ed-states/home

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/...ck/?show=15810

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/...uznick-part-2/
Thanks for this heads up, Rhub! Excellent interview, and I look forward to the series.