Brad Wiggins Power data [2009] - Page 4 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 11-09-12, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregga View Post
Lack of motivation ? When you're for the first time abel to finish in the first 25 top riders of a mountain climb ?
Wiggins was 33rd after that stage, so it's not like he was racing for a place on the podium, or even the top 10. But as I said, who knows? All that we really know (assuming the power data are correct) is that he started a bit harder than he finished, and ended up with a normalized power of 399 W.
Old 11-09-12, 20:36

2012 Tour de France - Stage 9: Arc-et-Senans to Besanšon 41.5km

Janez Brajkovic

358 W
Average Power

* The nearly 1-hour TT is a good indication of Brajkovic's Functional Threshold Power (FTP) of 358w (5.6 w/kg). FTP represents a rider's maximum sustainable power output for a 1-hour maximum effort.
* Brajkovic is an experienced and successful time-trialist and paced this stage 9 time trial well. The first half of the race averaged 366 watts, while he averaged 351 watts the second half.
* Peak 30-minute power was 367 watts which was Brajkovic's maximum Peak 30-minute Power for the Tour to date.

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/races/...x#.UJ1ni2ez4QU

Event: 2012 Olympic TT Men (01/08/2012)

Estimated statistics below.

Position Rider (Height,Weight) Time CdA Est. Watts Watts/Kg Watts/CdA

10 Janez Brajkovic (Slovenia) (1.77,60) 0:54:09 0.221 386 6.43 1748

GIGO
Old 11-09-12, 20:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler'sTwin View Post
2012 Tour de France - Stage 9: Arc-et-Senans to Besanšon 41.5km

Janez Brajkovic

358 W
Average Power

* The nearly 1-hour TT is a good indication of Brajkovic's Functional Threshold Power (FTP) of 358w (5.6 w/kg). FTP represents a rider's maximum sustainable power output for a 1-hour maximum effort.
* Brajkovic is an experienced and successful time-trialist and paced this stage 9 time trial well. The first half of the race averaged 366 watts, while he averaged 351 watts the second half.
* Peak 30-minute power was 367 watts which was Brajkovic's maximum Peak 30-minute Power for the Tour to date.

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/races/...x#.UJ1ni2ez4QU

Event: 2012 Olympic TT Men (01/08/2012)

Estimated statistics below.

Position Rider (Height,Weight) Time CdA Est. Watts Watts/Kg Watts/CdA

10 Janez Brajkovic (Slovenia) (1.77,60) 0:54:09 0.221 386 6.43 1748

GIGO
So if Wiggins' power was overestimated to exactly the same extent, that means he would have averaged 358/386 * 480 = 445 W in his Olympic victory ride...which is consistent with 1) the critical power analysis I did back in August, and 2) the quotes recently taken from his book.
Old 11-09-12, 20:57

Any idea how reliable the weights for Brajkovic are? Those numbers suggest like 4kg difference? I'm sure there systematic error in the Olympic estimates but he stands out pretty badly on the list. So maybe systematic error + guessed weights?
Old 11-10-12, 04:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoggan View Post
So if Wiggins' power was overestimated to exactly the same extent, that means he would have averaged 358/386 * 480 = 445 W in his Olympic victory ride...which is consistent with 1) the critical power analysis I did back in August, and 2) the quotes recently taken from his book.
acoggan I am very curious why after a number of years using a power meter one of the 10 lessons you learnt was to not lose weight.

Why not?
Old 11-10-12, 04:45

The critical power graph by acoggan misses the data that the first data point

(580W) was at 24 and 28 years of age, where Wiggins was around 82kg.

The final few data points - where his endurance is out the whazoo - he is 32 and 69kg.

They also ignore the fact that one value (580W) is done completely fresh, whilst the TT of 1+hr in duration at the end of the TdF was - at the end of the TdF.

This may have no bearing, and I am sure acoggan would love to / will jump in and offer plausible excuse er reason after plausible reason why the key rider for a team his mate sponsors has a plausible performance.

But I still won't buy it.

Just like I don't buy Lance Armstrong increased his efficiency over the space of 6-7 years and that's why he was so damn successful at the TdF. I don't care how many graphs you spit out.
Old 11-10-12, 04:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterRider View Post
To be fair it's just an estimate. If they used the same formula for everyone then I could easily see Wiggins power output being overestimated as he has probaby the best position on the bike of any of them.

Of course, that in no way explains Froome having the second best numbers in that list.
Wiggins position is not that good. Definitely not the best. His head sticks out for starters. Big no no.

acoggan has hinted he has Wiggins power files from 2012 - why doesn't he just share the data?
Old 11-10-12, 04:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoggan View Post
Such a keen interest for someone who doesn't follow pro cycling, acoggan! Again.
Old 11-10-12, 07:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Wiggo View Post
Such a keen interest for someone who doesn't follow pro cycling, acoggan! Again.
Andy is a professional scientist, which essentially means he gets paid for having an attention to detail.

Along those lines, with regards to Wiggin's 2009 Giro TT, keep in mind the power was measured with a PowerTap: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3363/...1fe1ac9a45.jpg

Back of the envelope calculation assuming he did ~400w for the TT and 2.5% drivetrain loss and a 4% artifactual power inflation at ~100 rpms and ~400w for Osymmetric rings yields,

(400/0.975)/0.96 =~ 427w on his Osymmetric SRM system.

If he can do 427w for 1:36.28 then don't you think he can hold 450w (105.4% of 427w) for an hour? That - to the decimal point - is in fact the case for myself.

Last edited by V3R1T4S; 11-10-12 at 07:22. Reason: typo
Old 11-10-12, 08:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Wiggo View Post
Wiggins position is not that good. Definitely not the best.
Not that good... really? He may not have the best position but he is certainly up there I would argue. Plus he tends not to lose body position over time.