Tubs vs clinchers: Clinchers are faster.. - Page 5 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 11-10-12, 10:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Magnetico View Post
?... The mfg's adoration thing was pointed more at the OP than you. I know you laziali, we go way back, kind of.

Tubulars rule on race day, no if, ands, or buts.
Hey Beppe, I just saw who you are - my fellow Colnago aficionado. why the change of name? I always thought the Roger for Roubaix handle was one of the coolest on here.

I don't race anymore (well except on Strava), but agree that tubs on race day was definitely the rule back in the day. I can't comment from personal experience now, although I do find the Tony Martin thing interesting given pro time trial rigs are tweaked and tested to the nth degree.

Last edited by laziali; 11-10-12 at 11:02.
Old 11-10-12, 18:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by laziali View Post
Hey Beppe, I just saw who you are - my fellow Colnago aficionado. why the change of name? I always thought the Roger for Roubaix handle was one of the coolest on here.
Well, I retired the user RDV4ROUBAIX for 2 reasons. First and most importantly I DO NOT LIKE TOM BOONEN, and I don't think he's worthy of sitting equal with RDV in the record books for Roubaix. Secondly, RDV4ROUBAIX was a mod here, realized I was spending waaaay to much time babysitting absolutely reprehensible personalities and cleaning up spam. Not my cup 'o tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laziali View Post
I don't race anymore (well except on Strava), but agree that tubs on race day was definitely the rule back in the day. I can't comment from personal experience now, although I do find the Tony Martin thing interesting given pro time trial rigs are tweaked and tested to the nth degree.
Still are. When more than 50% of the teams in the PT show up to race with something other than tubulars, only then can you use phrases like "back in the day", or "old school". The Tony Martin TT clincher tire choice will have about the same effect on the rest of the Peloton as when Guesdon won Roubaix on clinchers, which is almost nil. Until then, it's still more than 90% still on those old, outdated tubulars.

All the sheeple here that are caught up in the numbers are exactly what the manufactures want. You drop extensive amounts of loot on race gear, even non-racers because they believe that their hero won with it must have been the gear. 10% lighter, 20% stiffer, 30% more aero is 100% marketing fluff designed to take money out of your wallet. Take a hard look at these tests, reviews, and so called "independent research" and what you'll find is that most of them are funded by the very manufactures that somehow magically come out on top. Just about every single manufacturer in the bike industry is guilty of padding their numbers, some even fabricating lab results from thin air. I fully agree that Conti makes some of the finest tires available, but they're not going to propel you to victory in a race, or win a Strava$$hole segmet over a Vittoria, Challenge, Michelin, or Veloflex user. Sorry, if you think tires are winning races you might want to ask the UCI to add a manufacturers competition to bike racing as in motorsports.

Last edited by Giuseppe Magnetico; 11-10-12 at 19:48.
Old 11-11-12, 00:52

Quote:
Sorry, if you think tires are winning races you might want to ask the UCI to add a manufacturers competition to bike racing as in motorsports.
At my National championships last year, I was one step higher on the podium of the TT by 1/100th of a second. If my competitor had a better tyre, he'd have comfortably had that place by at least 20 seconds.

As for being sheeple here that are caught up in the numbers perhaps that's true, but the numbers I check are my from my own testing, and the testing of people who have no vested interest and have sound, rigorous testing process and analysis.

I consider "what the pros use" as a pretty poor way to evaluate equipment suitable for (i) me and (ii) best performance. They use what they are given, they are after all, rolling billboards.
Old 11-11-12, 04:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Simmons/RST View Post
At my National championships last year, I was one step higher on the podium of the TT by 1/100th of a second. If my competitor had a better tyre, he'd have comfortably had that place by at least 20 seconds.

As for being sheeple here that are caught up in the numbers perhaps that's true, but the numbers I check are my from my own testing, and the testing of people who have no vested interest and have sound, rigorous testing process and analysis.

I consider "what the pros use" as a pretty poor way to evaluate equipment suitable for (i) me and (ii) best performance. They use what they are given, they are after all, rolling billboards.
What is the best TT tyre/tubular from your own testing?
Old 11-11-12, 05:15

Quote:
Still are. When more than 50% of the teams in the PT show up to race with something other than tubulars, only then can you use phrases like "back in the day", or "old school". The Tony Martin TT clincher tire choice will have about the same effect on the rest of the Peloton as when Guesdon won Roubaix on clinchers, which is almost nil. Until then, it's still more than 90% still on those old, outdated tubulars.
I don't think it will take much time before most contenders in pro time trials are using clinchers. They are faster and there is a heck of a lot more development going into clinchers than tubulars, so the performance gap between the two will widen. We will see clinchers optimized for 23mm rims that are better than what we have today.
Old 11-11-12, 10:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by simo1733 View Post
What is the best TT tyre/tubular from your own testing?
My personal testing is not comprehensive as say, Al Morrison's roller testing data, but of the tyres I have used, I always seemed to get good numbers with Veloflex record and Vittoria Chronos. I am not saying they are the best, just the best of a limited range of options I had available, and knew were already rated pretty well. Nevertheless, some others who also have looked carefully at these matters and there are aero considerations as well as durability on some road surfaces.

Some tyres I know others have tested as better, but were not so easy for me to attain (my funds are limited for such things).

Last edited by Alex Simmons/RST; 11-11-12 at 10:36.
Old 11-11-12, 16:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Simmons/RST View Post

No way in the world you can attribute that time split to a tire because of what an indoor lab test that doesn't recreate real conditions is telling you. A million other factors are defining those times.

I respect you Alex, you've put in a lot of time on and off the bike to promote the sport and you are to be commended. Several of the last 22 years I've worked this industry in marketing and consulting of wheel specific goods, and have sat across the table with companies that have laundry lists of professional race wins, sponsoring the who's who of racers telling me flat out "we have to lie if this is going to sell"! Keep that in mind when you empty your wallet for the sake of chasing the all mighty Unicorn. In the last few years I have since dissociated myself from the kind of work I used to do due to ethical reasons and ran back quickly to what I love to do most, is build wheels that make sense. I'm completely aware that I'm the Atheist in the room of a bunch of religious fanatics.

Last edited by Giuseppe Magnetico; 11-11-12 at 20:59.
Old 11-11-12, 17:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
I don't think it will take much time before most contenders in pro time trials are using clinchers. They are faster and there is a heck of a lot more development going into clinchers than tubulars, so the performance gap between the two will widen. We will see clinchers optimized for 23mm rims that are better than what we have today.
When Guesdon won Roubaix in '97 on Michelin Pro2 clinchers we were saying the same things for a minute. I will eat my words if all of a sudden clinchers become the preferred choice for TT's, but I'm not holding my breath. History has a weird habit of repeating itself.
Old 11-21-12, 02:45

If rolling resistance is so important, shouldn't we all ditch our racing 23s in favour of 25s
Old 11-21-12, 04:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by simo1733 View Post
If rolling resistance is so important, shouldn't we all ditch our racing 23s in favour of 25s
Only those that drink the cool-aide are switching.