Wiggins knocked off bike, broken ribs suspected. - Page 12 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 11-10-12, 14:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
I actually did see Wiggins once - at the 2011 Vuelta, and he did act like a prat. When people came up to ask him for an autograph he shouted - "dont ****ing touch me" and they moved away and he moved into his car.

Of course some of you will claim im making it up or whatever but didnt one of the journos also say that when he tried to talk to wiggins after a race wiggins rudely told him to go away?

And Vaughters is also on record on this forum saying wiggo is a jerk.
I spoke to some people at the Olympics who knew Wiggo when he was on the youth circuit, they all said he was an arrogant, ignorant sod then. Which is pretty much what you would expect from a kid who grew up on a council estate in Kilburn without a father figure around.

Then again he gets knocked off his bike on the way to a training hack with mates from the local mountain bike club, probably with pub stop afterwards, which is exactly what I do.

If you had to build your own perfect cycling superstar then you wouldn't start with Bradley Wiggins - if you are an ordinary bloke(girl) who wonders if you maight be able to make it in cycling without an education or decent background behind you - well Bradley Wiggins did.
they told us our hero has played his trump card he doesn't know how to go on, we're clinging to his charm and determined smile, but the good old days are gone........ were gonna get burned, burned.....
Old 11-10-12, 21:50

I want a good recovery for Wiggo. I hope he can do in 2013 their planning calendar.
I don't like Wiggins,I don't like their behavior after the Olympic Games. An athlete always an athlete competes or not and to set an example to young people. Wiggins did not.
Old 11-10-12, 21:58

I take it that all those criticizing Brad know exactly what the photographer just did or said to Brad moments before, right?
Old 11-10-12, 23:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of The Wolds View Post
I take it that all those criticizing Brad know exactly what the photographer just did or said to Brad moments before, right?
Whatever the photographer did or didn't do is completely irrelevant of the fact that since winning the Tour Wiggins is a public figure and as a result every move he makes is news. I don't care if the photographer insulted his whole family seconds before that picture. Wiggins is a grown up man and should act like one. He is also a public figure and should consider that with everything he does. Whatever the photographer might have done isn't an excuse.
Old 11-12-12, 05:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchsmurf View Post
Whatever the photographer did or didn't do is completely irrelevant of the fact that since winning the Tour Wiggins is a public figure and as a result every move he makes is news. I don't care if the photographer insulted his whole family seconds before that picture. Wiggins is a grown up man and should act like one. He is also a public figure and should consider that with everything he does. Whatever the photographer might have done isn't an excuse.
Public figure. A much overused term, they are people. Wiggins is a character. Celebrities and politicians should be allowed to act like other people. The fact that some people think society bases it's behaviour on such people is laughable. Cut them some slack. Everyone makes mistakes but it's nonsense that some people have their careers ruined over what others get away with every day of the week. Wiggins won't change, thankfully.
Old 11-12-12, 06:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocacso View Post
I want a good recovery for Wiggo. I hope he can do in 2013 their planning calendar.
I don't like Wiggins,I don't like their behavior after the Olympic Games. An athlete always an athlete competes or not and to set an example to young people. Wiggins did not.
What did he do that was so offensive? (Besides reacting to a hack photographer harassing him as he left hospital)
Old 11-12-12, 06:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtarget View Post
Public figure. A much overused term, they are people. Wiggins is a character. Celebrities and politicians should be allowed to act like other people. The fact that some people think society bases it's behaviour on such people is laughable. Cut them some slack. Everyone makes mistakes but it's nonsense that some people have their careers ruined over what others get away with every day of the week. Wiggins won't change, thankfully.
I agree with much of what you posted, except the bolded. Politicians are in a position of power and often are the ones telling us how we should and shouldn't conduct our lives. As such they should be held to account for their actions.
Old 11-12-12, 09:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimobici View Post
I agree with much of what you posted, except the bolded. Politicians are in a position of power and often are the ones telling us how we should and shouldn't conduct our lives. As such they should be held to account for their actions.
Should a politician be sacked because some newspaper found out he was having an affair ? No. Should he be sacked because he breached government security regulations ? Yes. There's a world of difference.
Old 11-12-12, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCadence View Post
I think it has more to do with the fact that he's a brit and a brit that has won the tour de france than anything else i bet you it would be completely different had he been riding as say an italian or french rider.

It's just discrimination and it's really sad to see it.
do you actually believe people think uk is important enough to hate it? why? I can understand usa or china or something because they actually mean something on the international platform
Old 11-12-12, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtarget View Post
Should a politician be sacked because some newspaper found out he was having an affair ? No. Should he be sacked because he breached government security regulations ? Yes. There's a world of difference.
Remember this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_Basics_(campaign)

Politicians telling people how to live their lives, whilst not applying the same rules to themselves, forced to resign. So, in answer to your question - absolutely right.