The 2013 CQ Ranking Manager Game Speculation/name-dropping - Page 3 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Games and Fantasy Cycling

Games and Fantasy Cycling Come in and talk about betting, computer games and cycling simulations, and your office's or online fantasy cycling leagues.

Old 11-10-12, 19:02

This year I found it risky to pick neo-pros.. some like Demare paid off, but in general the risk is too great. That if you want to do really well, I do not know if they are the way to go. I believe Skidmark only had 3 or so on his winning team this year..

Canc seems too risky to me considering his 2010 score, if not for Boone's stellar year then maybe..

Froome though is a potential pick, I see doing a Wiggins and really dominating stage races he competes in this year, but unfortunately I don't think I have the guts to pick him.

Sagan on the other hand, could be considered a decent pick, imo this is his year to really step up and start winning the classics. Saying that I am not even going to check his price, for the same reason as why I wouldn't pick Froome.

After learning my lesson with Gesink last year, my sole expensive pick will most likely be Gilbert.
Old 11-10-12, 19:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froome19 View Post
This year I found it risky to pick neo-pros.. some like Demare paid off, but in general the risk is too great. That if you want to do really well, I do not know if they are the way to go. I believe Skidmark only had 3 or so on his winning team this year..

Canc seems too risky to me considering his 2010 score, if not for Boone's stellar year then maybe..

Froome though is a potential pick, I see doing a Wiggins and really dominating stage races he competes in this year, but unfortunately I don't think I have the guts to pick him.

Sagan on the other hand, could be considered a decent pick, imo this is his year to really step up and start winning the classics. Saying that I am not even going to check his price, for the same reason as why I wouldn't pick Froome.

After learning my lesson with Gesink last year, my sole expensive pick will most likely be Gilbert.
Imo Gesink AND Gilbert could be decent picks as they both didn't have a lot of points in the spring. Gilbert will probably be up there until Liege, and Gesink might try going for Pais Vasco, Romandie and Paris-Nice/Tirreno. That's a lot of points, and it's not like you're buying Sagan or Froome, but probably half of that.

When it comes to youngsters I don't want to go for Jungels, Dennis or Lutsenko(way too expensive) but I'm thinking about Sepulvada and some other relatively low score-riders.

Last edited by Pentacycle; 11-10-12 at 19:58.
Old 11-10-12, 20:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentacycle View Post
Imo Gesink AND Gilbert could be decent picks as they both didn't have a lot of points in the spring. Gilbert will probably be up there until Liege, and Gesink might try going for Pais Vasco, Romandie and Paris-Nice/Tirreno. That's a lot of points, and it's not like you're buying Sagan or Froome, but probably half of that.

When it comes to youngsters I don't want to go for Jungels, Dennis or Lutsenko(way too expensive) but I'm thinking about Sepulvada and some other relatively low score-riders.
I thought that last year with Gesink and look where it got me..

Tbh Gesink is certainly not a bad pick as he scores in a lot of races as you say, he also generally would feature in the Canadian races and usually does well towards the end of the season, just too much of a risk I guess. I took it once with Gesink, but it seems like there are always disappointments with him..

Personally I would go for more well known neo-pros, also ones like Bobridge, (not neo-pro but coming off track) Jungels or Dennis who are good TTs imo are good picks because even if their team do not hand them opportunities they receive opportunities in the TTs, as Durbridge demonstrated this year.

And also what are peoples opinions of Novikov? I am tempted

Last edited by Froome19; 11-10-12 at 22:15.
Old 11-10-12, 20:09

Quote:
I thought that last year with Gesink and look where it got me..

Tbh Gesink is certainly not a bad pick as he scores in a lot of races as you say, he also generally would feature in the Canadian races and usually does well towards the end of the season, just too much of a risk I guess. I took it once with Gesink, but it seems like there are always disappointments with him..

Personally I would go for more well known neo-pros, also ones like Bobridge, (not neo-pro but coming off track) Jungles or Dennis who are good TTs imo are good picks because even if their team do not hand them opportunities they receive opportunities in the TTs, as Durbridge demonstrated this year.

And also what are peoples opinions of Novikov? I am tempted
Novikov is definitely a no, despite low costs. And of course the track guys from the olympics are a sure bet, I'll go for at least 2 or three of them since they're a guaranteed profit.(barring bad luck ofc.)
Old 11-10-12, 20:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentacycle View Post
Novikov is definitely a no, despite low costs. And of course the track guys from the olympics are a sure bet, I'll go for at least 2 or three of them since they're a guaranteed profit.(barring bad luck ofc.)
I guess the Novikov part is just a very wishful part of me..

Track guys, well Thomas must be a cert imo, Bobridge same at least for me, Kennaugh and Hepburn.. the jury is still out on those two. Personally though Kennaugh is extremely talented I believe he will have limited opportunites.
Old 11-10-12, 21:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netserk View Post

What about Riis junior?
No he is not in maybe if I need one more 0 pointer
Old 11-10-12, 21:34

No Phil or Froome or Gesink just Alberto.

I will have a look at the neo pros
Old 11-11-12, 04:45

Quote:
I dunno, depends on your strategy. For example, if you got one real expensive guy that you were sure would pay off something good, that would clear it up to take a chance on a bunch of cheap neo-pros. The scattershot approach would be bound to get you some good results. But yeah, it is risky (and maybe kinda fun) to put alot in one expensive guy.

For the record, I definitely had more than 3 neo-pros; off the top of my head, there was Henao, Demare, Kelderman, Durbrige, Moser, Hepburn, Battaglin. This year... well, I honestly have no idea yet. But probably if I take a more expensive guy than my modest 532 point top pick last year, it'll clear up some room for neo-pros.
Old 11-11-12, 05:45
Administrator

I already know who is going to be the most picked rider this year, he's only worth 20 points but I hear he's suppose to be a pretty good climber. Too bad he only cares about a couple races.
Old 11-11-12, 07:48

The U23 World Champions always seem to be a profitable pick.