U.S. Politics - Page 488 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 11-10-12, 23:50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutto View Post
....here are some comments from one of Canada's pre-eminent political commentators....

The election, its spokesmen insisted in a press release, showed that the Republican Party had not been true enough to the conservative principles that reflected the virtues and values of the Founding Fathers. A temporary setback, the Tea Party declared...
This too plays into the comment from Whitman I gave above, how the GOP is running the risk of being so exclusive, that no matter how bad things are going, no matter how bad the Democratic candidate is, they aren't going to beat them, because they are by and large appealing to a very vocal, very dedicated 15-25% of the population. Mostly older, white men.
Old 11-10-12, 23:53

Quote:
...from one of the very few economists worth listening to......

http://www.salon.com/2012/11/08/the_coming_debt_battle/

Cheers

blutto
good article, thanks. you want to also check out new economic perspectives and, in particular, this article by spephanie kelton.
Old 11-11-12, 00:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatandfast View Post
Lessons for the GOP.
1. Rape is bad, it should be dealt with w all hands on deck,paid for with anybody's money to solve the problem.
2.Women(and men) don't think that insurance paying for birth control is a controversy.
3. Brown,black and yellow people do count.
4. Don't put Michelle Bachmann on the House Intel Committee and don't put
Mr.Selective rape,Todd Akin on the Science Committee. Don't let the GOP leadership spend a week debating the Light Bulb Freedom Of Choice Act,(yes that is real) GW Bush passed the ban.
5. Never tell seniors that they are getting a super keen voucher for health care.
6. do better math because 47% of anything is sometimes not enough.

be really careful of getting near any cliffs, it may look insane at first but by going headlong off the cliff the Dems will get lots of what they want, deep cuts in lots of programs w protections in place for most programs they want to go untouched.
Each time I pay my tax bill, quarterly, I go between tears and throwing up.I want so bad to understand the other million things the GOP is doing as they mention my 3 or 4 big interests , taxes,health care, infrastructure and schools.
GOP please hit the reset button. You went after the old ,white vote and you even missed your mark there.
read this

http://nymag.com/news/frank-rich/gop-denial-2012-11/
Old 11-11-12, 00:38

My bold added below to emphasize this perfect example of one of the major fundamental differences between the US and European democracies. These kinds of practices would be unthinkable over here, just as it would be unthinkable for any highest court to condone these practices. There is nothing remotely 'democratic' about this, yet it's simply accepted on all sides.

Maybe something can eventually be done when the current ultra conservative nature of the SCOTUS has been changed, hopefully within the next four years, though it would probably take many further years to get a case heard by the court.

Quote:
In this year’s election, the popular vote for President matched the final outcome: Obama won in both cases. For the House of Representatives, that wasn’t so. The popular vote was a majority Democratic, but the Republicans retained control of the chamber. Next week, the GOP will no doubt elect teary-eyed, fork-tongued John Boehner as their leader, the Speaker of the House, once more.

According to thinkprogress.org, the disparity between the popular vote and the actual outcome results from Republican gerrymandering and the refusal of the U.S. Supreme Court to do anything about it. It’s a fact that both political parties gerrymander Congressional districts when they are in power at the state level. That is, they redraw district lines into distorted pretzel shapes so that the opposition is packed into as few districts as possible while they dominate the rest. However, in 2004, the Supreme Court had a chance to intervene in a Pennsylvania case of extreme GOP gerrymandering, Vieth v. Jubelirer, but the conservative majority threw the lawsuit out.

Here are some examples of this year’s results. President Obama won the vote in Pennsylvania by five percentage points, but Democrats took only 5 out of 18 of the state’s Congressional seats. Similarly, the President won in Virginia; Democrats won 3 of 11 seats. He won in Ohio; Dems took 4 of 16 seats. Make sense to you? Me, either–until I started looking at districting maps. Check them out at slate.com, and you’ll see what I mean.
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/11...-with-boehner/
Old 11-11-12, 01:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobefast View Post
Absolutely brilliant article, right on the money! Highly recommended to all, especially moderate wrong-wingers.

Thanks for posting!
Old 11-11-12, 03:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
My bold added below to emphasize this perfect example of one of the major fundamental differences between the US and European democracies. These kinds of practices would be unthinkable over here, just as it would be unthinkable for any highest court to condone these practices. There is nothing remotely 'democratic' about this, yet it's simply accepted on all sides.

Maybe something can eventually be done when the current ultra conservative nature of the SCOTUS has been changed, hopefully within the next four years, though it would probably take many further years to get a case heard by the court.

It is simply absurd to think that a free western democracy such as the US would not have a single independent body governing over the entire country's presidential elections and that each state would vote and elect their leaders in different ways. A documentary about Florida and the recent US Election made this clear to me and I was amazed at that.
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
Old 11-11-12, 05:31

Quote:

Yeah, I see what you mean!

Old 11-11-12, 10:55

Quote:
What I find most interesting is that literally everywhere outside the urban areas, the Republicans win. It doesn't even matter which state.
Old 11-11-12, 11:06

Quote:
...from one of the very few economists worth listening to......

http://www.salon.com/2012/11/08/the_coming_debt_battle/

Cheers

blutto
What gets me is the fact that the Republicans vow to cut every social program, which many among the working class or aged rely upon to survive and who have paid taxes if applicable; however, they refuse to cut one penny from the military budget.

It's appalling how they can see this combination as even remotely acceptable and, on top of this, so many conservatives and Tea Partyiers insolently call themselves the faithful. They firmly believe that they are a righteous people, who live in a nation that has been sellected by God to protect liberty and to save civilization from the evil forces of collectivism. At least their market ideologues and preachers have convinced them that such an evil and calling exists and of their own exceptionalism. What exceptionalism?

The civilian horrors of drone warfare that US military spending has facilitated, or the many humanitarian catastrophes caused by US bellicosty in no way phases them; in no way is in contradiction with the tenants of their fervent Christian religiosity and selective moralism, because, after all, America is simply the good in a world dominated by evil and untoward hostility towards it. Yet providing health coverage through the citizens fiscal contributions to all Americans is evil, because anti-free market capitalism.

It's all mindboggling…

Last edited by rhubroma; 11-11-12 at 11:34.
Old 11-11-12, 11:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregod View Post
good article, thanks. you want to also check out new economic perspectives and, in particular, this article by spephanie kelton.
On the other hand even if the Fed is not beholden to the same rules and logic of earning-spending as ordinary citizens, at some point America, and civilization at large, will at least have to reassess the current economic model, which is doped on steroids: and begin to embrace a salutary concept of "happy downsizing." Under the present market regime I realize the very notion is anathema, however, at some point sooner or later, as I see it, mankind will either do so of its own free will, or be forced to.

Now the latter will probably be the more likely scenario, although this unfortunately brings to mind Einstein's frightful quote: "I don't know which weapons the third world war will be fought with, but the fourth will be fought with sticks and stones."

Last edited by rhubroma; 11-11-12 at 12:46.