Tenerife - Page 2 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 11-11-12, 13:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs John Murphy View Post
I didn't know there was one. Sorry.
More than one, actually. You posted 4 times in one of them.
Old 11-11-12, 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnout View Post
More than one, actually. You posted 4 times in one of them.
There you go. To be honest I was more interested in the history of Tenerife and I didn't remember it being discussed before.

...girls and ****ed 'em at school. All I know is that there were rumours he was into field hockey players

"the only thing worse than reading Cycling News is talking to them" Paul Kimmage

"The four most beautiful words in our common language: I told you so." Gore Vidal
Old 11-11-12, 14:13

Quote:
There you go. To be honest I was more interested in the history of Tenerife and I didn't remember it being discussed before.
Just had a quick look on wikipedia, there's a bit about the Spanish conquest in the late 15th century and plenty about the island's later use of slavery. I'm sure you can find more knowledgeable historians than us lot though.
Old 11-11-12, 14:22

Maybe the hotel on Teide costs more?
Old 11-11-12, 14:24

Quote:
Was Tenerife in use pre-EPO era as a winter training base?

Did Lemond train down there etc?

When did Ferrari start using it with his riders (was it after the court case when he was banned from working with people and so somewhere remote was more favourable?)

I didn't know there was one. Sorry.
Tenerife and Majorca have been THE training camp destinations for pros and amateurs for as long as I can remember.

I have been to training camps on both islands dozens of times, before and after the EPO era

Not to say it doesn't see its share of suspect action, but it didn't become popular because of it.
Old 11-11-12, 14:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post
Maybe the hotel on Teide costs more?
I think thehog is right and they book a cheap package holiday and stay at one of the resorts on the coast.
Old 11-11-12, 14:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1234 View Post
Tenerife and Majorca have been THE training camp destinations for pros and amateurs for as long as I can remember.

I have been to training camps on both islands dozens of times, before and after the EPO era

Not to say it doesn't see its share of suspect action, but it didn't become popular because of it.
When did you first become aware of it as a training location and who do you associate with it?

...girls and ****ed 'em at school. All I know is that there were rumours he was into field hockey players

"the only thing worse than reading Cycling News is talking to them" Paul Kimmage

"The four most beautiful words in our common language: I told you so." Gore Vidal
Old 11-11-12, 15:08

Quote:
When did you first become aware of it as a training location and who do you associate with it?
First went there as a teenager in 86 with the team I was riding for.

A couple of the British pro teams were there and a few continental pros.

I'm not sure what you mean by who I associate with it. I guess you mean Ferrari and LA? If so, not really. I and many others used it for training before they had even heard of it.
Old 11-11-12, 15:22

tenerife has been used by italian pros and liquigas especially for high altitude winter training since long time.
there was a long article with photos on the magazine cycling pro in 2010 about liquigas trining with their gt squad ( basso, nibali, szmyd, agnoli..) training on teide under the guidance of paolo slongo.
later in 2011, liquigas went training on etna, where basso fell and injured himself while preparing the season in which he was supposed to target the tour.

liquigas pros told me that is better the teide, because at lower altitudes in sicily there is too much traffic and training on etna is very often disturbed by strong winds.

please get informed before writing that are very well known by cycling suiveur.
i completely agree with andy : tenerife is long time well known site for training.
Old 11-11-12, 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1234 View Post
First went there as a teenager in 86 with the team I was riding for.

A couple of the British pro teams were there and a few continental pros.

I'm not sure what you mean by who I associate with it. I guess you mean Ferrari and LA? If so, not really. I and many others used it for training before they had even heard of it.

Ferrari and LA is the obvious one, but I was wondering if any rider from the pre-EPO era was well known for using Tenerife. Who was the pioneer of winter training in Tenerife? Where did say Hinault train in the winter, or Ocana, or Merkcx?