Wiggins knocked off bike, broken ribs suspected. - Page 13 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 11-12-12, 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatParker117 View Post
Picture this you've been an accident, broken your ribs, probably haven't slept well, on various painkillers, food was probably **** and bunch of idiots are shoving cameras in your face.

Would you not be even a little ****ed off?
the camera is not in his face. in fact you can't even se ehis face

Last edited by Ryo Hazuki; 11-12-12 at 11:57.
Old 11-12-12, 11:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCadence View Post
That's odd since i asked him for his autograph a few weeks back near where he lives and he was exceptionally nice about it since he didn't need to give me one and was on his own time and out with his wife.
how brown is your nose by now?
Old 11-12-12, 11:57

Quote:
Yes i am saying the comments and hate being thrown at Wiggo would be different if Ivan basso was in the same situation.

Trying to compare Wiggins giving the finger to a pap and Mel Gibsons racist rants is moronic that's like comparing apples to oranges to be honest.
blablabla. you sound like a complete racist to me, what a hypocrite

Last edited by Ryo Hazuki; 11-12-12 at 11:59.
Old 11-12-12, 12:53

Quote:
I think it has more to do with the fact that he's a brit and a brit that has won the tour de france than anything else i bet you it would be completely different had he been riding as say an italian or french rider.

It's just discrimination and it's really sad to see it.
That's quite a stretch to chalk it up to discrimination. Where is the evidence of that? It's likely he's built up a track record (no pun intended) of being colorful, acting without thinking (calling some of his detractors w@nk#$s and c#*ts). To be surprised that he gets this type of reaction has little if anything to do with his nationality. Froome gets much love here in the forum (I realize he's adopted Britain as his home country), as does Robert Millar, who is very well respected here.
Old 11-12-12, 13:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of The Wolds View Post
He's had 2 months off and has his main aim for next year less than 6 months away. Besides, I think the current Velo d'Or winner, yellow jersey and Olympic Champ knows how to prepare. I would like to know why he's out at night though. A lot of Sky' marginal gains stuff is about reducing risk. Seems a bit pointless to then go out in the dark.
Multiple demands on his time as Britains' first Tour winner making him a high profile commodity. Maybe that was the only time he could squeeze in a ride.
Old 11-12-12, 13:24

Quote:
That's odd since i asked him for his autograph a few weeks back near where he lives and he was exceptionally nice about it since he didn't need to give me one and was on his own time and out with his wife.
Maybe your rude interruption of his time with his wife, for the sole purpose of satisfying your own personal desire without consideration for Wiggins and his wife, was the straw that broke the camel's back, the point at which he decided, over a strained smile/pleasantries, that he was fed up. Yep, that's it, I say we blame HiCadence.

Last edited by Angliru; 11-12-12 at 13:31.
Old 11-12-12, 13:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimobici View Post
Remember this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_Basics_(campaign)

Politicians telling people how to live their lives, whilst not applying the same rules to themselves, forced to resign. So, in answer to your question - absolutely right.
No I didn't remember that but the list made disturbing reading. Major was so bland it's hard to remember him at all. But he probably seems charismatic compared to some Australian politicians.
Old 11-12-12, 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL2037 View Post
It's not exactly the sort of thing that improves the relationship between cyclists and motorists in traffic. Wiggins had a golden opportunity to get the road safety message out, but no, instead flips the finger into a camera. Way to promote cycling!
This exactly. I don't really care that he gave the camera the finger. I rather like this version of Wiggo that is emerging as someone who gets angry and sometimes speaks before he thinks. It makes things interesting.

What's frustrating about this as a cyclist is that he had a golden opportunity to address road safely issues. Instead he reinforces the images that many motorists have of cyclists as arrogant jerks who don't deserve to be on the road. They may only be Daily Mail readers, but it may happen that it's a Daily Mail reader that's behind me and too frustrated to wait for a safe spot to pass.

Sure, Mello Wiggo may mount a cycling safety campaign later, but the moment is lost. The moment when most eyes were on him and was relevant to the issue. There's only so much media attention, only so much space in the paper or the listeners' consciousness. Now that space is filled with his apology rather than something that might have called attention to the fact that we all share these roads, that he was lucky to have escaped relatively unscathed and that hundreds don't.
Old 11-12-12, 15:08

There was lots of stupid comments by drivers before he gave the finger.
Vickie Pendleton would make a better safe cycling ambassador anyway.
Old 11-12-12, 15:18

Quote:
I think it has more to do with the fact that he's a brit and a brit that has won the tour de france than anything else i bet you it would be completely different had he been riding as say an italian or french rider.

It's just discrimination and it's really sad to see it.
lol, playing the race card immediately. pathetic. If its discrimination against a brit why are half the people who think hye is a ****, british themselves?
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.