Omni racer - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 11-12-12, 12:38

Default Omni racer

Thinking about swapping out my dura ace cassette for something lighter. I thought about going red till I found an article about omni racer titanium cassettes. Anyone try them, any issues? They seem well constructed and light but what about durability?

Thanks
Jeff.
Old 11-12-12, 14:06

Keep your DA cassette and stop being a weight weenie. No replacement will shift as good as the DA cluster, and will wear out much faster. Stop counting grams and go ride your bike. Who was it that said "don't buy upgrades, ride up grades" ?
Old 11-12-12, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Magnetico View Post
Keep your DA cassette and stop being a weight weenie. No replacement will shift as good as the DA cluster, and will wear out much faster. Stop counting grams and go ride your bike. Who was it that said "don't buy upgrades, ride up grades" ?
lol...well said...
Old 11-12-12, 14:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckula View Post
Thinking about swapping out my dura ace cassette for something lighter. I thought about going red till I found an article about omni racer titanium cassettes. Anyone try them, any issues? They seem well constructed and light but what about durability?

Thanks
Jeff.
Well, lessee..they are expensive, not as durable as steel, shift not as well.

For all that $, how much weight will you be saving? Couple of power-bars of weight?

Stay away from Red also, noisy, expensive. ''Least expensive compatible cogset and chain". They are consumables, afterall.
Old 11-12-12, 23:06

Default Omni racer

Thanks for the replies . I was looking at saving some weight that is true but I was also interested in adding North American components to my ride. Just a personal choice but important to me.
Old 11-12-12, 23:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckula View Post
Thanks for the replies . I was looking at saving some weight that is true but I was also interested in adding North American components to my ride. Just a personal choice but important to me.
You really want to support your local economy, you could start by selling off that damaged and repainted off-the-shelf Specialized, get a custom frame built from your nearest frame master, then have a wheel set built with a sweet US made hub set. Forget about using SRAM as an excuse to support American companies. What you're doing with that is supporting the top 3% of a huge corporation that produces the cheapest quality Asian made crap in bikedom. If I was wrong, they wouldn't be the kings of OEM and have the absolute best warranty out there. They need that killer warranty like you wouldn't believe. You feel me?
Old 11-13-12, 14:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Magnetico View Post
You really want to support your local economy, you could start by selling off that damaged and repainted off-the-shelf Specialized, get a custom frame built from your nearest frame master, then have a wheel set built with a sweet US made hub set. Forget about using SRAM as an excuse to support American companies. What you're doing with that is supporting the top 3% of a huge corporation that produces the cheapest quality Asian made crap in bikedom. If I was wrong, they wouldn't be the kings of OEM and have the absolute best warranty out there. They need that killer warranty like you wouldn't believe. You feel me?
Bing, bing, bing, we have a winner!!