Omni racer - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-12-12, 12:38
Duckula Duckula is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 10
Default Omni racer

Thinking about swapping out my dura ace cassette for something lighter. I thought about going red till I found an article about omni racer titanium cassettes. Anyone try them, any issues? They seem well constructed and light but what about durability?

Thanks
Jeff.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-12-12, 14:06
Giuseppe Magnetico's Avatar
Giuseppe Magnetico Giuseppe Magnetico is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rocky Mountain High
Posts: 359
Default

Keep your DA cassette and stop being a weight weenie. No replacement will shift as good as the DA cluster, and will wear out much faster. Stop counting grams and go ride your bike. Who was it that said "don't buy upgrades, ride up grades" ?
__________________
–––The user formerly known as RDV4ROUBAIX–––
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-12-12, 14:08
The Gnome The Gnome is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Magnetico View Post
Keep your DA cassette and stop being a weight weenie. No replacement will shift as good as the DA cluster, and will wear out much faster. Stop counting grams and go ride your bike. Who was it that said "don't buy upgrades, ride up grades" ?
lol...well said...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-12-12, 14:16
Bustedknuckle's Avatar
Bustedknuckle Bustedknuckle is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USofA
Posts: 1,539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckula View Post
Thinking about swapping out my dura ace cassette for something lighter. I thought about going red till I found an article about omni racer titanium cassettes. Anyone try them, any issues? They seem well constructed and light but what about durability?

Thanks
Jeff.
Well, lessee..they are expensive, not as durable as steel, shift not as well.

For all that $, how much weight will you be saving? Couple of power-bars of weight?

Stay away from Red also, noisy, expensive. ''Least expensive compatible cogset and chain". They are consumables, afterall.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-12-12, 23:06
Duckula Duckula is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 10
Default Omni racer

Thanks for the replies . I was looking at saving some weight that is true but I was also interested in adding North American components to my ride. Just a personal choice but important to me.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-12-12, 23:56
Giuseppe Magnetico's Avatar
Giuseppe Magnetico Giuseppe Magnetico is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rocky Mountain High
Posts: 359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckula View Post
Thanks for the replies . I was looking at saving some weight that is true but I was also interested in adding North American components to my ride. Just a personal choice but important to me.
You really want to support your local economy, you could start by selling off that damaged and repainted off-the-shelf Specialized, get a custom frame built from your nearest frame master, then have a wheel set built with a sweet US made hub set. Forget about using SRAM as an excuse to support American companies. What you're doing with that is supporting the top 3% of a huge corporation that produces the cheapest quality Asian made crap in bikedom. If I was wrong, they wouldn't be the kings of OEM and have the absolute best warranty out there. They need that killer warranty like you wouldn't believe. You feel me?
__________________
–––The user formerly known as RDV4ROUBAIX–––
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-13-12, 14:03
Bustedknuckle's Avatar
Bustedknuckle Bustedknuckle is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USofA
Posts: 1,539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Magnetico View Post
You really want to support your local economy, you could start by selling off that damaged and repainted off-the-shelf Specialized, get a custom frame built from your nearest frame master, then have a wheel set built with a sweet US made hub set. Forget about using SRAM as an excuse to support American companies. What you're doing with that is supporting the top 3% of a huge corporation that produces the cheapest quality Asian made crap in bikedom. If I was wrong, they wouldn't be the kings of OEM and have the absolute best warranty out there. They need that killer warranty like you wouldn't believe. You feel me?
Bing, bing, bing, we have a winner!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.