U.S. Politics - Page 491 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 11-12-12, 18:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
But that's what Rs don't get - the election was largely about the economy. All "social issues" are at their heart economic issues - gender equality/equal pay (being publicly against the Lilly Ledbetter Act was one of the stupidest things Rs have ever done), contraception issues, health care, social safety nets, student loans, they're all economic issues and important ones for women, the young, and the poor. And they look at the Ds and see a diversity of minorities and women in positions of power and then they look at the Rs and see a bunch of wealthy old white men who think they're all just being lazy. Who the **** do you think they're going to vote for?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor...c_reasons.html
Quote:
the election was largely about the economy.
No it wasn't.

Quote:
gender equality/equal pay
All talk. So no, this wasn't it either.

"When a salary analysis of the same time period is done to see how women fared when considering the entire White House staff, we find that women, on average, earned about $10,000 a year less than the men."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickunga...uld-be-better/

Quote:
contraception issues
Yep. Women want this for free, especially young women.

Quote:
health care
Nope. The last data I saw (Nov 4) showed that 50% of the people in the US wanted full repeal of the ACA.

Quote:
social safety nets
Yep. Look at the exit poll demographics particularly regarding income level.

Quote:
student loans
Nope. Young people supported Obama less than in 2008 by 6 points. Still a big gap over the R's, but that's been true for decades.

Quote:
And they look at the Ds and see a diversity of minorities and women in positions of power and then they look at the Rs and see a bunch of wealthy old white men who think they're all just being lazy.
That's just BS talking points. The fact remains that women, blacks, hispanics, young people have been hurt the worst by this economy. One of the lowest unemployment rates in the country (by race) are Asians. I wonder why that is??
Old 11-12-12, 18:58
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubroma View Post
That's all well and good, but of course you have neglected fact: namely, that rural American votes republican.
Fact? Uh, have you ever been to, say, Vermont?

One could say "leans" and that might be true. But I have found that the country is very purple of various shades, rural, urban, suburban, wherever. And if you look at this link by Princeton professor Robert Vanderbei it's very revealing through history.

Also, this map, by University of Michigan professor Mark Newman does the same taking nearly all the bias out of such blanket comments that I feel do nothing more than further split the country into ideological extremes.

Old 11-12-12, 19:21

I was looking for a map like that, could not find it. They are starting to block out all the political, drug, gambling, websites here at work.

At least I can still buy my new 50cal. They have not messed with my assault weapon sites.

Last edited by Glenn_Wilson; 11-12-12 at 19:25.
Old 11-12-12, 19:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
No it wasn't.
Yep, it was. The problem for Rs is that they either fail to recognize or acknowledge or simply ignore that the economic issues prioritized by women, minorities, and the young aren't necessarily the same as for the elderly, white, males, and wealthy that make up the core of their base.

Last edited by VeloCity; 11-12-12 at 20:11.
Old 11-12-12, 20:11

Quote:
Yep, it was. The problem for Rs is that they have trouble recognizing that the economic issues for women, minorities, and the young aren't the same as for the elderly, white, males, and wealthy that make up the core of their base.
Funny how you accuse R's of generalizing and stereotyping........ pot meet kettle.
Old 11-12-12, 20:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldman View Post
Funny how you accuse R's of generalizing and stereotyping........ pot meet kettle.
It would be generalizing if it weren't backed up by voting statistics.
Old 11-12-12, 21:26

Wait, who are the un-American traitors again?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ion-to-secede/
Old 11-12-12, 21:27

Quote:
Yep, it was. The problem for Rs is that they either fail to recognize or acknowledge or simply ignore that the economic issues prioritized by women, minorities, and the young aren't necessarily the same as for the elderly, white, males, and wealthy that make up the core of their base.
No, it wasn't.

Obama won despite the electorate thinking the country's on the wrong track and yet Romney scored higher than Obama on who's better equipped to handle the economy. Obama crushed Romney among the very highly educated and the very uneducated. Obama crushed Romney among low income earners, in fact, the less money one makes the larger the gap. No surprise there.

So when you say the R's fail to prioritize, you are right. The R's will never compete where Obama really hit the ball out of the park... which was the question; "which of the candidates cares about people like me?" Obama garnered something like 81% of that opinion. Touchy, feely, form over substance. It has nothing to do with results.

Romney did win the 65+ age groupers though. There was a time when older people were considered wise... not so much anymore. I guess the greatest generation are now just old, bitter haters.

Look for yourself.

http://elections.msnbc.msn.com/ns/po...utmk=150696374

http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/re...ent/exit-polls
Old 11-12-12, 21:32

Quote:
Wait, who are the un-American traitors again?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ion-to-secede/
Let them go. You guys hate the south anyways.

I saw the petition for Louisiana... but I had no idea those other states had petitions too.

I sure hope Cali doesn't try and secede. Without our friends at Treasury printing money we'd be really screwed.
Old 11-12-12, 21:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
Let them go. You guys hate the south anyways.

I saw the petition for Louisiana... but I had no idea those other states had petitions too.

I sure hope Cali doesn't try and secede. Without our friends at Treasury printing money we'd be really screwed.
You can print your own money. California pesos, also known as moonbeams. On the way to Vegas, you can stop at the border and trade your moonbeams in at five for the dollar.