Reactions from the peloton - Page 102 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 11-09-12, 05:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Shrimp, agree on lauding Routley.

Would be too much to ask for our real pro-peloton leaders (thinking Cadel & Wiggo, and how about Spartacus...) - who would like us to believe they are clean - to make similar/supporting statements? Not necessarily about the past (we understand you don't want to nail your "other" team mates) but at least about the future?
Omerta lives...

That's why I love finding the comments from the up-and-comers.

We want to change cycling? Look at the young-guns speaking out!

They have the b*lls I didn't have, and good on them for that.

Any comments from the current peloton are manifestly clouded in the past, as they should be. The current run of riders saying they were "forced into it" is utter BS.

Laud the second-tier riders grinding it out, trying to make a living under this cloud...

Good on them.
Old 11-09-12, 06:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougvdh View Post
Not to get into the specifics of whether cycling is the most tested sport or not (it clearly has a more rigorous testing protocol than many sports), but the quote about IIHF is comparing total OoC tests (blood and urine) to cycling's OoC Blood tests. If you include all OoC cycling tests I wonder where the stats stand?
I was wonder that myself, out of real interest, not to be critical because 6000 test of either sort deserved some credit.
I had a poke around their website and did not find what I was after but did find a summary page of news that included what the IOC had planned for the 2010 Winter Olympics

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ecap/4124.html

of 2000 tests, 25% for EPO in urine and 20% blood.

Then I noticed that their total number of registered senior players alone total 373000, so that didn't make it look so good.

http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/the-ii...f-players.html

ratty

Last edited by labratty; 11-09-12 at 06:41.
Old 11-09-12, 06:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBeaushrimp View Post
Omerta lives...

That's why I love finding the comments from the up-and-comers.

We want to change cycling? Look at the young-guns speaking out!

Laud the second-tier riders grinding it out, trying to make a living under this cloud...

Good on them.
Would it not be great if as a next step "clean teams" are not only those who sign a declaration, but those whose riders speak out strongly, like Routley. And ideally routinely release their blood data. That for me would be a team and sponsor I support. And Routley would be a guy I would therefore consider if I were a team manager (rather than Dekker by the way JV).

We would soon know who is serious about "clean", not only junior riders, but also teams.

JV take note. Beyond the clean team PR. Insist your riders speak about how clean they now are. Coming second, or tenth, behind Omerta types, would be noticed. Riders to speak out loudly. Because they need to put their balls on the block. So we can be real (trusting) fans once more. You've already announced who was not clean for your team in the past. So you're ready to go. Lead by example.

“Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.”

Last edited by Tinman; 11-09-12 at 06:44.
Old 11-09-12, 16:05

Benoît Joachim, ex-teammate of LA, had the opportunity to work with Dottore Ferrari, but didn’t take his chance – in fear of a positive text result. He declares doping to be a personal thing. Nobody is forced to do it …

He calls the USADA investigation ridiculous and says, that LA is the greatest champion of cycling. Still.

http://www.lematin.ch/sports/depeche...story/17055197 (French)
Old 11-12-12, 14:54

Just in case you thought Omerta was a thing of the past:

Freire: I never had suspicions about Armstrong

This is priceless:

“Among fellow cyclists he didn’t seem to be a suspect [for doping]. We all passed the controls, just as he did, and he was the one who was winning,” said Freire in an interview on Spanish state radio.

Move along, move along.

But, my favorite part is this:

"...According to Freire, a case like Armstrong’s could not happen at the moment because the situation is cycling is “better” because there are more controls and they are more effective than before...."

Total bullchips. And, I am sick and tired of that Omerta line.

The only way that Freire, or any of the other Omerta-perpetuating idiots in the peloton, could know that this is true would be if they knew for sure that someone who was doping and didn't get caught before is getting caught now.

Sure glad that a stand-up guy like Oscar is about to become the Spanish national coach.

Dear Oscar,

Please provide proof that the controls are more effective. Who got busted? Did you fail a test that you had passed before?

Mentiras.

Yours Truly,

Dave.

Lance says he will cooperate with Landis Investigation

"I've done too many good things for too many people"
Old 11-12-12, 19:12

Nibali

Quote:
A proposito di personaggi nella bufera: che idea s’è fatto di Armstrong?

"Per me resta sempre Lance, quello che ha vinto i sette Tour".
I am told this translates as

Quote:
What's your thought about Armstrong's case?
"To me he's still Lance, the one who won 7 Tdfs."
http://www.gazzetta.it/Ciclismo/12-1...97045203.shtml

Dissapointing comments from him
Old 11-12-12, 19:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by del1962 View Post
Nibali

I am told this translates as

http://www.gazzetta.it/Ciclismo/12-1...97045203.shtml

Dissapointing comments from him
To me it seems pretty clear, any contemporary of Armstrong's who does not greet the USADA findings with some comment along the lines of "the basterd cheated me" was doing a lot of the same things, and probably still is.

Proud member of the Clinic 1200
Old 11-12-12, 19:31

Igor Anton:

Q. Do you think cycling can get rid of doping?

In cycling, as other sports and in general life, some guys will take a shortcut. In every situation, both in social and in athletic cases, we need to realize that the shortcut is not the correct way. In cycling there are things like the biological passport and the ADAMS (whereabout) system that should prevent the mishaps of individuals that damage the whole sport and the peloton. In cycling, we are at the forefront of the fight against doping and there is total commitment for a clean sport.

What do you think about the Armstrong case? Will it damage or improve the image of cycling?

The impact has been very strong worldwide. I hope we can put the story behind us in the short to medium term and improve the image of the sport once and for all.

http://www.grada360.com/ciclismo/201...121215-g3.html

There is also a bit on Contador, can a Spanish speaker translate it, I fail to do so with my limited Spanish and Google translate.

G: ¿Cómo cree que ha tratado los organismos y los medios de comunicación a Contador?

I.A.: Es difícil valorarlo en general, ha habido de todo. Lo que sí que creo es que Contador mueve mucho y pienso que es querido también por muchos medios.

All in all a, for me, satisfactory response from him, considering he normally doesn't say anything at all on anything in interviews. Certainly better than Sanchez.
Old 11-12-12, 22:24

Freire is part of the problem in cycling. Old school doper and believer in old ways about doping.

Need these people out of the sport.

The sport needs to for the next 8 years hand out large bans to doping, min 4 years for epo 1st offence. This can only be done by independent anti doping.

Miss 3 ooc tests 4 year ban.

That'll make the likes of Freire think about the sport in a new light!
Old 11-12-12, 22:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnout View Post
G: ¿Cómo cree que ha tratado los organismos y los medios de comunicación a Contador?

I.A.: Es difícil valorarlo en general, ha habido de todo. Lo que sí que creo es que Contador mueve mucho y pienso que es querido también por muchos medios.
G: How do you think the institutions and media have treated Contador?

IA: It's hard to assess it in broad terms, there's been a bit of everything. I do believe however that Contador has a lot of weight and I think he has the affection of many media outlets, too.