U.S. Politics - Page 492 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 11-12-12, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
Romney did win the 65+ age groupers though. There was a time when older people were considered wise... not so much anymore. I guess the greatest generation are now just old, bitter haters.
Great argument there. The highly educated vote for Obama, old white people don't. Who is "wiser" in your opinion? Could old people maybe just vote conservative by default, as they do everywhere around the world?
Old 11-12-12, 22:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
Fact? Uh, have you ever been to, say, Vermont?

One could say "leans" and that might be true. But I have found that the country is very purple of various shades, rural, urban, suburban, wherever. And if you look at this link by Princeton professor Robert Vanderbei it's very revealing through history.

Also, this map, by University of Michigan professor Mark Newman does the same taking nearly all the bias out of such blanket comments that I feel do nothing more than further split the country into ideological extremes.

Don't fret Alpe I've been to Vermont. If we want to go deconstructionist then fine, however, the less cosmopolitan (that's not even to say Parisian gauche per se) and more rural each zone is, then the statistics speak for themselves. I mean come on.

Last edited by rhubroma; 11-13-12 at 06:06.
Old 11-12-12, 22:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Great argument there. The highly educated vote for Obama, old white people don't. Who is "wiser" in your opinion? Could old people maybe just vote conservative by default, as they do everywhere around the world?
The highest educated voted for Obama. The academia types. Also, the least educated voted for Obama. So he got both ends of the spectrum there.

The demographics that I saw didn't break down the 65+ vote by race. Sorry that doesn't fit the narrative.
Old 11-12-12, 22:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
You can print your own money. California pesos, also known as moonbeams. On the way to Vegas, you can stop at the border and trade your moonbeams in at five for the dollar.
I think moonbeams only work at the parking meters in Frisco.
Old 11-12-12, 22:26

Quote:
The highest educated voted for Obama. The academia types. Also, the least educated voted for Obama. So he got both ends of the spectrum there.

The demographics that I saw didn't break down the 65+ vote by race. Sorry that doesn't fit the narrative.
I wasn't aware of this. Do you have a link?
Old 11-12-12, 22:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobber View Post
Scott is half right.

http://www.happyplace.com/19076/elec...oted-for-obama
Old 11-12-12, 23:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobber View Post

In response to this question; What was the last grade of school you completed?

http://elections.msnbc.msn.com/ns/po...utmk=150696374
Old 11-13-12, 01:20

Quote:
In response to this question; What was the last grade of school you completed?

http://elections.msnbc.msn.com/ns/po...utmk=150696374
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
Thanks! What VeloCity posted is very similar to what was found after the 2000 election so I was surprised a little by Scott's comment. The "no high school diploma" category is also a lower fraction than I would have expected (3%).
Old 11-13-12, 02:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutto View Post
....hmmm...that is like 0 as in zero?...

CBS News reports "it is now becoming clear just how lopsided President Obama's victory was in some cities: in dozens of urban precincts, Mitt Romney earned literally zero votes."

"The Phildadelphia Inquirer reported today that, in 59 precincts in inner-city Philadelphia, the GOP nominee received not a single vote. And according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, nine precincts in Cleveland returned zero Romney votes."

"At first blush, it seems almost impossible: how, even in some of the most heavily Democratic strongholds in the country, could a major party's presidential candidate fail to earn even one vote?"

Cheers

blutto
A mathmatical impossibility. But Velo will tell you there is no such thing as voter fraud on the left.
Old 11-13-12, 02:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutto View Post
....hmmm...that is like 0 as in zero?...

CBS News reports "it is now becoming clear just how lopsided President Obama's victory was in some cities: in dozens of urban precincts, Mitt Romney earned literally zero votes."

"The Phildadelphia Inquirer reported today that, in 59 precincts in inner-city Philadelphia, the GOP nominee received not a single vote. And according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, nine precincts in Cleveland returned zero Romney votes."

"At first blush, it seems almost impossible: how, even in some of the most heavily Democratic strongholds in the country, could a major party's presidential candidate fail to earn even one vote?"

Cheers

blutto
It would be interesting to see who were some of the write in candidates that received more votes than Romney!