Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-22-12, 03:42
purpletezza purpletezza is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 61
Default Shimano chainset in BB30 frame - How?

How do I fit Shimano chainset (like 6700 Ultgra) into a BB30 bike frame? I have heard that Shimano have a press fit bearing setup available but is this for BB30 frames? One of my bike has Dura Ace 7900 in a BB30 frame with a Token branded bearing/adapter setup. (By the way these token things are crap and only last ~1000km). I am sure there are many after market solutions. Would prefer Shimano to ensure 100% compatability.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-22-12, 08:56
Parera Parera is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 361
Default

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id286.html

These work OK.

There are probably more out there but as far as I know Shimano DOES NOT make a BB30 adapter for their cranksets. Shimano's press fit bottom brackets are for the BB86/92 standard.

Just get a BB30 specific crank if you want "100% compatibility."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-26-12, 23:41
James Huang's Avatar
James Huang James Huang is offline
Tech Editor
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 159
Default

This is the most thoroughly engineered converter I've seen so far:

http://praxiscycles.com/pages/bb30-conversion
__________________
James Huang
Technical Editor
Cyclingnews.com
BikeRadar.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-28-12, 00:43
Night Rider Night Rider is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 357
Default

Another option that works well is the Wheels Manufacturing adaptor, BB-Shim is the product code for the one you need.

http://wheelsmfg.com/products/bottom...-adapters.html
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-13-12, 21:46
mortailcoil mortailcoil is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 41
Default

Are there any other solutions?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-14-12, 12:55
Bustedknuckle's Avatar
Bustedknuckle Bustedknuckle is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USofA
Posts: 1,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpletezza View Post
How do I fit Shimano chainset (like 6700 Ultgra) into a BB30 bike frame? I have heard that Shimano have a press fit bearing setup available but is this for BB30 frames? One of my bike has Dura Ace 7900 in a BB30 frame with a Token branded bearing/adapter setup. (By the way these token things are crap and only last ~1000km). I am sure there are many after market solutions. Would prefer Shimano to ensure 100% compatability.
shimano, bless their contrary hearts, make NO adapter for BB30, PFBB30 or anything else except for British or the far superior Italian threading.

NOT saying BB30 or any of the other non threaded 'standards'(what a joke) is a good idea cuz it isn't BUT shimano still doesn't make anything but threaded BB cups.

FSA makes a press in adapter for threaded cups, Wheels manufacturing makes some adapters. Praxxis has an interesting design also.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-14-12, 15:00
kuoirad kuoirad is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 118
Default

Forgive the possibly silly question, but what makes Italian threading superior to English?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-14-12, 18:48
richwagmn richwagmn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustedknuckle View Post
shimano, bless their contrary hearts, make NO adapter for BB30, PFBB30 or anything else except for British or the far superior Italian threading.

NOT saying BB30 or any of the other non threaded 'standards'(what a joke) is a good idea cuz it isn't BUT shimano still doesn't make anything but threaded BB cups.

FSA makes a press in adapter for threaded cups, Wheels manufacturing makes some adapters. Praxxis has an interesting design also.
Any predictions as to what happens with BB design going forward? Is BB30 going to go away?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-15-12, 05:41
Fiemme's Avatar
Fiemme Fiemme is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuoirad View Post
Forgive the possibly silly question, but what makes Italian threading superior to English?
I'm curious to know as well.
From my experience english thread is better than italian, as the cups will not loosen. The rotational force keeps tightening the english thread.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-15-12, 12:43
Bustedknuckle's Avatar
Bustedknuckle Bustedknuckle is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USofA
Posts: 1,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richwagmn View Post
Any predictions as to what happens with BB design going forward? Is BB30 going to go away?
BB30, PFBB30 makes for a cheaper frame to make. Easier to hook big tubes to other, big tubes. And the final machining is simplier, particularly w/o threading.

Italian threading is superior, well because it's Italiano, of course...geeez..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 23:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.