Shaun Stephens to Sky - Page 6 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 11-14-12, 16:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJB123 View Post
No, Mr. Prejudice. I need facts on one Mr. Shaun Stephens. When you go around accusing someone of something, you should be able to back it up. And let me give you a hint, it should be better than "he is in sports, ergo he condones or assists PED-abuse".

And as side note. The only time I could get caught in a cave or under a rock, it would be to find nutters like yourself.
you're smarter than that, GJB, I know you are.
i'm feeling good today, so I'll spell it out, just for you:
fact 1: PEDs are pervasive in prosport including triathlon
fact 2: coaches most of the time know what their athletes are on
fact 3: Stephens is a very successful triathlon coach

now, if you have evidence that Shaun has actively tried to keep his athletes from using PEDs, post it.
until then the most plausible inference from facts 1-3 is that Shaun endulges doping.

EDIT: I love the German translation of common sense: gesundes Menschenverstand

Last edited by sniper; 11-14-12 at 16:12.
Old 11-14-12, 16:16

I think a few posters seem to have forgotten something important when it comes to discussing Sky, but luckily I'm happy to remind you all:

It is ludicrous to demand proof or evidence of doping.

Carry on as you are.
Old 11-14-12, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper View Post
you're smarter than that, GJB, I know you are.
i'm feeling good today, so I'll spell it out, just for you:
fact 1: PEDs are pervasive in prosport including triathlon
fact 2: coaches most of the time know what their athletes are on
fact 3: Stephens is a very successful triathlon coach

now, if you have evidence that Shaun has actively tried to keep his athletes from using PEDs, post it.
until then the most plausible inference from facts 1-3 is that Shaun endulges doping.
Fact 1 and fact 3 are genuine facts. Fact 2 is an assumption on your part. From combining fact 1 and fact 3, we do not automatically get fact 4: "Shaun Stephens endulges doping." We do get your opinion/prejudice: "Shaun Stephens endulges doping." Did you spot the difference or was that difficult with your blinders still on?
Old 11-14-12, 16:31

Quote:
Fact 1 and fact 3 are genuine facts. Fact 2 is an assumption on your part. From combining fact 1 and fact 3, we do not automatically get fact 4: "Shaun Stephens endulges doping." We do get your opinion/prejudice: "Shaun Stephens endulges doping." Did you spot the difference or was that difficult with your blinders still on?
what he'd written isn't exactly a non-sequitor as you suggest. he's merely establishing some data points from which we can draw our own conclusions.

the both of you could use a refresher course in formal logic.

tho his conclusions are drawn somewhat rashly based upon what i agree are flimsy data points, at least they're based upon something. your position is essentially, "just because". you "value" giving folks the benefit of the doubt which is an even more biased approach.

Last edited by lean,mean,&green; 11-14-12 at 16:36.
Old 11-14-12, 16:41

Quote:
i said it's an assumption, i.e. common sense inferred from facts. hard to grasp, ey? i know you're smarter, GJB, i just feel it.
Here's the link again to the Wikipedia site on common sense. Just take your time and read it through. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_sense. See it as a personal investment.
Also take some time to check a dictionary and find the difference between assumption and fact. you'll see that the former doesn't equal the latter, but rather is based on viz. inferred from, the latter.

Last edited by sniper; 11-14-12 at 16:47.
Old 11-14-12, 16:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by lean,mean,&green View Post
what he'd written isn't exactly a non-sequitor as you suggest. he's merely establishing some data points from which we can draw our own conclusions.
thanks!
see, GJB, it wasn't that hard to understand
Old 11-14-12, 16:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by lean,mean,&green View Post
tho his conclusions are drawn somewhat rashly based upon what i agree are flimsy data points, at least they're based upon something. your position is essentially, "just because". you "value" giving folks the benefit of the doubt which is an even more biased approach.
lovely!

I recognize common sense when I see it.

Last edited by sniper; 11-14-12 at 17:03.
Old 11-14-12, 16:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RownhamHill View Post
I think a few posters seem to have forgotten something important when it comes to discussing Sky, but luckily I'm happy to remind you all:

It is ludicrous to demand proof or evidence of doping.

Carry on as you are.
I think its become a battle to who can become the most condescending poster.. A bit unfortunate to say the least.

I want less of that and more background checks on Shaun because I'm so concerned lol
Old 11-14-12, 17:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Wiggo View Post
Sky just need a running coach and they should be set.
Maybe they could try and get Dr. Peters back from UK Athletics.
It seems you didn't know about that even though it happened
a month ago. Too busy trying to figure out why Sky didn't want
Kimmage embedded with them in the 2012 Tour until after the
8th stage of the 2010 Tour I guess.

Can't wait to see how the Tin Hats spin the fact that Peters left for
UK Athletics. It should be very illuminating. Very illuminating, indeed.
Maybe it will require it's own thread.
Old 11-14-12, 17:11

some datapoints on Stephens' 'boys', amongst whom we find the latest under 23 world champion Aaron Royle:

Quote:
Royle (...)pushed the go button to clear out over the final stages to beat Spain’s Fernando Alarza and Great Britain’s Thomas Bishop.
Quote:
It was an encouraging day all round for the next generation of Australia’s emerging men with Australian Head Coach Shaun Stephens belief in his boys coming to fruition.
Quote:
“We put a lot of planning into this race. A lot of race preparation and simulation with the boys. Jamie mapped out a course around the hills of West Dapto and we also worked in the NSWIS altitude training assimilation tent.
http://www.trizone.com.au/20121022/a...s-road-to-rio/