Le Tour de France 2013: who will win? - Page 19 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2013 Tour
Alberto Contador 61 63.54%
Cristopher Froome 25 26.04%
Andy Schleck 6 6.25%
Vincenzo Nibali 2 2.08%
Cadel Evans / Teehay Van Garderen 2 2.08%
Ryder Hesjedal 1 1.04%
Alejandro Valverde / Juan Jose Cobo 1 1.04%
Other (specify) 1 1.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-12, 02:52
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
couldn't agree more. remind me of early years of kreuziger, perhaps even worse is nibali's hype.
At least Nibali has lived up to his hype a lot more than Kreuziger has. I think Nibali has and is living up to his hype very well.
Old 11-14-12, 09:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentacycle View Post
Well, I just hope he can get at least one decent shot at the Tour podium before the end of his career, something he hasn't been able to do since 2008. And now with a full season of racing in his legs I believe he can.

Btw which British riders were in the podium of this year's Tour and the 2011 Vuelta? And if Vuelta performances don't have many parallels with the Tour I'm wondering why Froome isn't first in this poll, with the Vuelta being probably his last GT before next year's Tour? Cobo's just a bad reference, Valverde has proven to be a much more consistent top 10 rider in GT, podiuming in 2 out of his last 3 GT's.
I was talking about winners of the Tour also winning the Vuelta. Contador only. Vuelta winners like Menchov, Nibali, Heras, Vinokourov, Valverde, Cobo have not been close to winning the Tour. But I take your point. Podium riders in the Vuelta like Evans have also won the Tour and Wiggins who I think finished fourth in the Vuelta ? I am just noting the history of both races in recent times. I still think Froome has some chance in next year's Tour but less chance for Valverde. Valverde has been very consistent of course as has Evans except for 2009 and 2010.
Old 11-14-12, 10:00

Evans was not consistent in 09 but he still did 2 good rides at the Vuelta and WC. In 2010 he would have had a good season but got sick at the Giro/ crashed at the TDF.
Wiggins finished 3rd last year.
Vino came close to winning the TDF in 03 as well.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"
Old 11-14-12, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenedge View Post
Evans was not consistent in 09 but he still did 2 good rides at the Vuelta and WC. In 2010 he would have had a good season but got sick at the Giro/ crashed at the TDF.
To me Evans was unlucky getting sick at the Giro because he was looking really good, really strong but Basso was very good too. Even though he was in yellow at the Tour I had my doubts even if he had not hurt his elbow. I think fatigue would have beaten him but he was riding well until he crashed and Schleck's and Contador's climbing I think could have been too much for him. Of course he still had great results in 2009 as well. I think the puncture at the Vuelta may have helped motivate him for the World's. Thankfully the ups and downs got ironed out at the Tour in 2011.
Old 11-15-12, 02:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenedge View Post
Menchov wasn't too shabby either in 2010. Legitimate 3rd place and was already on his decline after 2009's Giro performance. Menchov also could've had better luck in his earlier years - the shared Rasmussen and Freire green objectives cost him a lot of rider support when he was with Rabobank, and later with Gesink coming aboard as the next big thing didn't help either. And though he was on the decline, not being able to ride in 2011 due to political issues didn't give him a fair chance to prove his legs.
Old 11-15-12, 07:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
At least Nibali has lived up to his hype a lot more than Kreuziger has. I think Nibali has and is living up to his hype very well.
Indeed. You can't put that down to "luck"
Old 11-15-12, 09:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18-Valve. (pithy) View Post
Indeed. You can't put that down to "luck"
of course he's good. but he's not within the top ten best cyclists in the world. the reason he is ranked so high is just luck and lots of it.
Old 11-15-12, 15:51

Quote:
of course he's good. but he's not within the top ten best cyclists in the world. the reason he is ranked so high is just luck and lots of it.
Top ten best cyclist in the world,uhm thats interesting.What are yours?
Mine top ten in their category
Cavendish,Greipel,Sagan,Boonen,Cancellara,Wiggins, Rodriguez,Contador,Gilbert,Valverde
what? quintana is already better climber than froome. see final stages of the tour and he's only 23. quintana is the best climber I've sene since pantani. he will become a legend
I am a fan of Afrank's hyping posts!
Excuse me for my English
Old 11-15-12, 16:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangerider View Post
Menchov wasn't too shabby either in 2010. Legitimate 3rd place and was already on his decline after 2009's Giro performance. Menchov also could've had better luck in his earlier years - the shared Rasmussen and Freire green objectives cost him a lot of rider support when he was with Rabobank, and later with Gesink coming aboard as the next big thing didn't help either. And though he was on the decline, not being able to ride in 2011 due to political issues didn't give him a fair chance to prove his legs.
Gesink worked for Menchov in the Tour 2010, so I don't know what you're talking about.
Old 11-16-12, 00:51
Administrator

Quote:
Luck doesn't play any more a role in Nibali's ranking than it does in any other riders. It is ridiculous to reduce a riders entire results as just because of luck, luck plays a role but it is not the ultimate factor in how a rider does.