Transfers and Rumours 2012 > 2013 - Page 328 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-12, 18:28
Administrator

mendes will be riding for nett-app endura next season.

with this many small continental teams a lot of u23 riders will be picked up from the youth ranks which is a good thing since the u23 scene in portugal has no future with the way the Portuguese cycling federation is running things.

also with the rumored demise of leopard trek continental maybe one of those teams could get fabio silvestre?
Old 11-14-12, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
6, no? Unless you consider Efapel are disappearing? Or is it Onda - haven't heard much from them this offseason?

Tavira, Efapel, LA and Onda are current

Louletano and OFM are new

Plus according to Jornalciclismo potentially Ceramica Flaminia will be Portuguese-licenced. I'm not sure I believe that, but that would leave 7 Portuguese teams. More than at any point since 2008 (Benfica, Liberty Seguros, LA-MSS, Madeinox, Fercase, Barbot and Palmeiras), no?

There were a bunch of riders who had nowhere to step up to, and a lot of reasonable riders have given up the ghost in the last couple of years. More teams may spread the talent thinly in the short term, but might be better in the long run. As long as we don't get another disaster like Liberty Seguros 2011.

As long as LA-Antarte are looking strong, I'm happy. I'm a big fan of both Mendes and Brco.
onda are gone
Old 11-14-12, 19:39

Ah, makes sense.

Besides, I forgot Loulé in my rundown of 2008-era teams there, so there were actually 8 - down to 6 in 2009 though (end of Benfica and LA-MSS, with LA taking over lead sponsorship of Paredes from Fercase), so if Ceramica Flaminia are Portuguese-licenced then we're back to 2009 levels. Which is a positive, but not that much.

Forever tte de la course.
Old 11-14-12, 19:48

problem is, how are the races?
Old 11-14-12, 20:02
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
problem is, how are the races?
in awfully bad shape?

there are no proper races cept the volta and algarve and i daresay the level at algarve is too high and the volta's parcours are getting worse each year due to lack of funds
Old 11-14-12, 21:39

Troféu Joaquim Agostinho is still OK, and the GP Costa Azul/Volta ao Alentejo is at least still alive, but otherwise they're suffering.

I hadn't seen anything on Onda's collapse, last I knew was from this article from about two weeks ago where they talk of Onda having a threat to Blanco in the Volta should Blanco continue for another year. Of course, Onda collapsing does create a new query: where will João Cabreira end up?

Actually, scratch that - I don't care.

Forever tte de la course.
Old 11-15-12, 08:41

Biciciclismo mentioned somewhere last week that only three of the current conti squads continue 2013 with Onda being disbanded. Plus the two new teams.

But as already mentioned the race calendar is the big problem for Portuguese teams. There is not enough money to create more races in Portugal itself, and the teams don't have the money to buy themself into bigger races abroad (or finance the step to ProConti level). So they're left with what's left of the national calendar and occassional trips to Spain. But with racing shrinking there as well... I am not very optimistic about Portuguese cycling at the moment.
Old 11-15-12, 08:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cimber View Post
Btw sounds as if spidetech might be sponsoring Duggans salary: "As a part of Duggan's move to Saxo Bank-Tinkoff Bank, SpiderTech will become a partner of Saxo Bank-Tinkoff Bank in 2013."
Spot on. Spidertech is busy finding teams for all it's riders and has promised to honour all 2013 contracts. That's the reason they already managed to find teams for Anderson & Roth (Champion System), Boilly, Boivin & Vandborg (Cannondale), Houle (Ag2r) and Parisien (Argos). Keven Lacombe retires due to injury and the rest of the team is still searching for a new home.
Old 11-15-12, 13:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
LA is very strong with broco, sabido, virgilio dos santos and pimenta costa mendes
Jos Mendes will ride in NetApp and Hernni Brco won't ride in LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
6, no? Unless you consider Efapel are disappearing? Or is it Onda - haven't heard much from them this offseason?

Tavira, Efapel, LA and Onda are current

Louletano and OFM are new

Plus according to Jornalciclismo potentially Ceramica Flaminia will be Portuguese-licenced. I'm not sure I believe that, but that would leave 7 Portuguese teams. More than at any point since 2008 (Benfica, Liberty Seguros, LA-MSS, Madeinox, Fercase, Barbot and Palmeiras), no?

There were a bunch of riders who had nowhere to step up to, and a lot of reasonable riders have given up the ghost in the last couple of years. More teams may spread the talent thinly in the short term, but might be better in the long run. As long as we don't get another disaster like Liberty Seguros 2011.

As long as LA-Antarte are looking strong, I'm happy. I'm a big fan of both Mendes and Brco.
LA Antarte, Efapel-Glassdrive and Louletano/Dunas Douradas are 100% ok. Carmim-Prio are searching new sponsors (because need more money) and about OFM-Valongo I have small doubts.
Onda-Boavista seems very difficult to keep on continental level.
Old 11-17-12, 16:50

Big and unexpected news for me tbh.

Gianni Meersman leaves Lotto-Belisol over WorldTour uncertainty

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13...certainty.aspx

Some team had to make him very good offer. So it's gotta be someone like Sky, BMC or RSNT.

Last edited by Gloin22; 11-17-12 at 16:56.
Closed Thread