women are right! - Page 2 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 11-15-12, 13:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Didn't Marianne Vos ride up the final climb of the Cauberg at the Worlds in the same time as Philippe Gilbert? Good luck with that.

It's such a moronic discussion really. "I only want to watch men's cycling because men are stronger than women". Who the f.ck cares, as long as there is a level playing field? I'd choose the Giro Donne anytime over 90% of men's races.
I do.

sdhfjdsghj
Old 11-15-12, 13:24
Administrator

I only want to say that I totally agree with the title of this thread........

Susan
Old 11-15-12, 13:25

Quote:
Didn't Marianne Vos ride up the final climb of the Cauberg at the Worlds in the same time as Philippe Gilbert? Good luck with that.

It's such a moronic discussion really. "I only want to watch men's cycling because men are stronger than women". Who the f.ck cares, as long as there is a level playing field? I'd choose the Giro Donne anytime over 90% of men's races.
The fans of the sport? The networks? Let's face it, the male feminists on this board who love women's cycling represent a tiny minority. It doesn't get air time because the demand just isn't there.
Old 11-15-12, 13:31

Whoa, hold on a second. You have to be a feminist to watch women's sports? What?
Old 11-15-12, 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrotha View Post
Whoa, hold on a second. You have to be a feminist to watch women's sports? What?
Yes, you commie lesbian.

What the above (interestingly, mostly Dutch) haters of women's cycling don't seem to realize that actually in their own country, viewership for women's cycling is as big as men's cycling. That is, if it is actually broadcasted, like at the Olympics and the Worlds.
Old 11-15-12, 13:55

Quote:

2012:---1:33---(Gasparotto-Vanendert-Sagan)
2011:---1:26---(Philippe Gilbert)
2010:---1:31---(Philippe Gilbert)
2009:---1:43---(Sergey Ivanov)
1:41---(Gilbert-Cunego-Kolobnev)
2008:---1:33---(Cunego-F.Schleck)
2007:---1:51---(Stefan Schumacher)
1:46---(Davide Rebellin)
2006---1:47---(Frank Schleck)
2004---2:10---(Davide Rebellin)
1:56---(Bettini-Di Luca-Van Petegem)

Keep in mind that in AGR and the WC this year they came straight of a descent when they were climbing the Cauberg. That explains the faster times in 2012. Gilbert's time at the WC was a little faster than his time in 2011, but I don't know exactly how much faster. I think a couple of seconds.

You can check Marianne Vos' time your self if you want.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 11-15-12, 14:03

I also don't think that there is the same demand or large talent pool for pro women's cycling (I mean, isn't that the reasoning behind equal pay, to encourage more participation?) But I really don't care, I think it's great if there are equal earnings. I don't really see how this affects me at all as a fan, my earnings for my job are going to be the same regardless.
Old 11-15-12, 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
the strongest climbers in the world are there and that's what most racing is. climbing.
Oscar sevilla and Felix cardenas are the best climbers in the world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
2012:---1:33---(Gasparotto-Vanendert-Sagan)
2011:---1:26---(Philippe Gilbert)
2010:---1:31---(Philippe Gilbert)
2009:---1:43---(Sergey Ivanov)
1:41---(Gilbert-Cunego-Kolobnev)
2008:---1:33---(Cunego-F.Schleck)
2007:---1:51---(Stefan Schumacher)
1:46---(Davide Rebellin)
2006---1:47---(Frank Schleck)
2004---2:10---(Davide Rebellin)
1:56---(Bettini-Di Luca-Van Petegem)

Keep in mind that in AGR and the WC this year they came straight of a descent when they were climbing the Cauberg. That explains the faster times in 2012. Gilbert's time at the WC was a little faster than his time in 2011, but I don't know exactly how much faster. I think a couple of seconds.

You can check Marianne Vos' time your self if you want.
What is the point of this post? We are trying to compare the times of.vos and Gilbert up the cauberg from the 2012 worlds and you post the time for every other cauberg ascent in history apart.from the relevant ones
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 11-15-12, 14:14

Quote:
Yes, you commie lesbian.

What the above (interestingly, mostly Dutch) haters of women's cycling don't seem to realize that actually in their own country, viewership for women's cycling is as big as men's cycling. That is, if it is actually broadcasted, like at the Olympics and the Worlds.
That's because when it is on telly it's extremely hyped because we happen to have the best woman cyclist at the moment. NOS is very good at only focusing on sports when Dutch athletes compete, and only focus on the Dutch athletes: that's why male cycling coverage is dreadful and many people (not only CN.commers) watch male cycling on Sporza.

Remember when the Dutch ladies football (soccer) team was doing well a couple of years back, during a Euro Championship or something. NOS doesn't bother with women football usually, but when there is a bandwagon, they're very eager to jump on it. They broadcast one match, 2 million viewers. After that hype, no-one cares about women soccer anymore.

Long story short: those occasional viewing figures are not representative at all.
Old 11-15-12, 14:19

The problem with your arguments, to all of yous who celebrate that women's cycling is treated poorly and justify your misogyny with- " the demand isnt there, haha " is that demand works both ways.

There is less demand for.women's cycling because the races aren't being shown in the first place. If eurosport didn't show mens cycling i and many others in this country would never have been hooked in the first place. same goes.for.absolutely every sport out there. People don't just wake up and out of the blue say - i want to.be a fan of a sport where people do.this that or the other. The idea has to come.from.somewhere.

Its no coincidence that the sports where male and female competition run together and are broadcast together, are the sports in which women athletes achieve the greatest popular acclaim.

Why is there no demand for women's cycling? Because its not being shown in the first place.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.