U.S. Politics - Page 506 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 11-15-12, 16:02

When in the world did Bobby Jindal become the voice of reason on the right?

Quote:
Jindal said that he “absolutely reject[s]” Romney’s comments and that they were indicative of broader problems for the GOP as they regroup in the wake of last week’s defeat.

“If we’re going to continue to be a competitive party and win elections on the national stage and continue to fight for our conservative principles, we need two messages to get out loudly and clearly: One, we are fighting for 100 percent of the votes, and secondly, our policies benefit every American who wants to pursue the American dream, period,” he said. “No exceptions.”
And then there's Romney.

Quote:
for remarks the former Republican nominee made blaming President Obama’s re-election on “big gifts” for minorities and women.
um, no, Mitt, it was because the majority of the American people didn't like you, didn't like your running mate, and especially didn't like your policies.

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/20...rs.php?ref=fpa

But really, Romney actually lost because of voter fraud perpetrated by mysterious hordes of black people.

Quote:
Maine's outgoing Republican Party chairman plans to investigate claims that "dozens of black people" unfamiliar to local officials voted in rural Maine towns, the Bangor Daily News reports.

“In some parts of the state, there were dozens of black people who came in to vote,” Charlie Webster said in an interview. “Nobody in town knew them.”
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.co...eged?ref=fpblg

Last edited by VeloCity; 11-15-12 at 16:04.
Old 11-15-12, 16:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
Sure.

http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral...during_ob.html

Dow +67% after Obama's first term.

Dow +277% after Clinton's 8 years.

Dow -25% under the 8 years of Bush.

Same pattern with the S&P. I think Wall St is just fine with a Dem pres. But maybe Rs should've been a bit more careful about pushing on the debt ceiling and now on the fiscal cliff. Makes investor's a bit jumpy when they do things like that.
Oh. Thanks.

So how will investors react to another downgrade? New debt ceiling? Why are equity markets liquidating in favor of tax advantaged muni-bonds?

The fiscal cliff has been around for some time. Why did investors react on November 7th? What are we down now.... nearly 700 points? In a week? At the moment the Dow is heading lower again today...

So when next year do you expect the coming recession to be officially under way?
Old 11-15-12, 16:09

Quote:
It depends what environment you put them in... Newt Gingrich also seemed perfectly reasonable on the Colbert Report the other day. John McCain has seemed reasonable for years.
Old 11-15-12, 16:29

Quote:

And then there's Romney.

um, no, Mitt, it was because the majority of the American people didn't like you, didn't like your running mate, and especially didn't like your policies.

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/20...rs.php?ref=fpa

But really, Romney actually lost because of voter fraud perpetrated by mysterious hordes of black people.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.co...eged?ref=fpblg
LMAO at the Maine part.

I have to take care of the recycling stuff here at work today. I notice the bins getting full and it is time to donate some trash back to the creek side. The other day when I went out to my dump site I saw a couple of dead beavers on the other side of the pile of cans that where flowing down the creek. I wonder if anyone warned the beavers about the hazards of drinking from the can's?
Old 11-15-12, 16:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
Oh. Thanks.
No prob. Never hurts to remind people that the economy has historically done way better under D administrations than under R's.

Quote:
The fiscal cliff has been around for some time. Why did investors react on November 7th? What are we down now.... nearly 700 points?
Obama's been around for some time. What are we up now...double or so?

And besides, with re: to the fiscal cliff, it's up to Congress to sort these things out, not Obama. So what exactly has the R-controlled Congress been doing for the past 2 years to address the fiscal cliff? Hmm. Well, they did symbolically repeal Obamacare 33 times. I suppose, technically, that's not doing nothing, per se.

Quote:
So when next year do you expect the coming recession to be officially under way?
Given that there's little reason to believe that Rs will ever put the interests of the country ahead of party and politics (and their anti-Obamaism), I do agree with you that we're probably headed for a dip.
Old 11-15-12, 16:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
It depends what environment you put them in... Newt Gingrich also seemed perfectly reasonable on the Colbert Report the other day. John McCain has seemed reasonable for years.
Newt gingrich has indeed.far above average intelligence for.his wing of the party for which the usual.mouthpieces are uneducated hacks like hannity or limbaugh and i do admire his struggles to present those ideas to thinking people.

Mccain is from.the moderate side of the party which is far.more.successful at producing rational human beings.though mccain himself seems to be losing it a bit in his old age and its perfectly understandable considering what he lived through.

John huntsman seems to.me.to.be 1 of the most reasonable, and could play a big role if the party is willing to modernize.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 11-15-12, 17:43

Quote:
No prob. Never hurts to remind people that the economy has historically done way better under D administrations than under R's.

And besides, with re: to the fiscal cliff, it's up to Congress to sort these things out, not Obama. So what exactly has the R-controlled Congress been doing for the past 2 years to address the fiscal cliff? Hmm. Well, they did symbolically repeal Obamacare 33 times. I suppose, technically, that's not doing nothing, per se.

Given that there's little reason to believe that Rs will ever put the interests of the country ahead of party and politics (and their anti-Obamaism), I do agree with you that we're probably headed for a dip.
Quote:
You mean like now? Record numbers on welfare? Obama's time will rewrite the history books.

Quote:
Sure. By that logic we can also state that the market hasn't made it to where it peaked under Bush.

Quote:
Yes. It's as if there is no democratic party at all.

Quote:
You missed your "it's Bush's fault" talking point.
Old 11-15-12, 17:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
You mean like now? Record numbers on welfare? Obama's time will rewrite the history books.
Yep, it will be known as the time when the country got back on track after nearly being destroyed during the Bush administration. Your guys, if I recall.

And remember:

http://www.blogforarizona.com/.a/6a0...dda2970d-500wi

See all that red nosediving downward? Your guy. See all that blue, slowly but surely going back up? Our guy cleaning up your guy's mess.

Quote:
Sure. By that logic we can also state that the market hasn't made it to where it peaked under Bush.
And then disintegrated. Let's give them the same chance, shall we? Come back in 4 years and then let's compare. I'm pretty confident you won't like it.

Quote:
Yes. It's as if there is no democratic party at all.
Odd, I didn't see the D party wasting time and millions of dollars on 33 votes to recall the ACA. I thought that was exactly the sort of thing that you "fiscal conservatives" were so outraged about? Apparently not so much.

Quote:
You missed your "it's Bush's fault" talking point.
No need to say it, everyone knows why we're in the economic mess that we're in. Did you miss the exit polls?

Quote:
Americans interviewed as they left their polling places Tuesday were in wide agreement that the economy is still in sorry shape. But they were less likely to blame Obama than to point the finger at his predecessor, George W. Bush.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/news/politics/...#ixzz2CJZFdQtA
You can still deny it all you want, but most Americans know that we are where we are because of the policies of your guys, not Obama.

Last edited by VeloCity; 11-15-12 at 18:06.
Old 11-15-12, 18:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Wilson View Post
LMAO at the Maine part.

I have to take care of the recycling stuff here at work today. I notice the bins getting full and it is time to donate some trash back to the creek side. The other day when I went out to my dump site I saw a couple of dead beavers on the other side of the pile of cans that where flowing down the creek. I wonder if anyone warned the beavers about the hazards of drinking from the can's?
did you see any crying indians?
Old 11-15-12, 19:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricknd View Post
did you see any crying indians?
I remember those television commercials.

Nope but I did see two Homeless people looking at my pile of cans. I told them if they even think about taking these cans that they can rest assured that I will be calling the local law enforcement on their sorry asses.
I know what they want to do with them......they want to collect them all up and take them down to receive a deposit on them at the local Recycling center. That is not happening because those are my cans that I dumped there.

Just changed the oil on my big 1974 Dodge ramz. I decided to dump it on all the fence row in along my neighbors side of the lot. That will kill the brush and grass from growing around those areas.

I remember those television commercials. The Indian was upset with the polluted river. I'm still confused about the message they were trying to convey.

Anyhow in the spirit set forth by our President ---I just wanted to do my part for recycling day.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...ycles-day-2012

Last edited by Glenn_Wilson; 11-15-12 at 19:56.