Rider Points System - Page 3 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-15-12, 15:46
El Pistolero's Avatar
El Pistolero El Pistolero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janraaskalt View Post
He cannot blame the lack of points. I could blame my lack of goals in the Premier League for not getting a contract at Manchester City, but the fact is I am not good enough. There a tons of football players without goals who get a contract, just like there a hundreds of cyclists without points who get a contract.

If Radioshack was satisfied with him, he would have gotten a contract extension. Radioshack wasn't looking for points; they hired Devolder, for crying out loud.
He's BFF with Bruyneel and De Mol just wants someone for the classics. He's still a little bit annoyed that Boonen left him in 2003 lol.

Will be interesting next year, will Cancellara be screwed by one of his teammates for a change?

Devolder should be a cheap rider by now. And like it or not, he has talent, so he's worth the risk.

Posthuma had an awful year, I only brought him up because Ryo said Jrod was talking about his helpers while in fact he was talking about Posthuma. Subtle difference.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 11-15-12 at 15:51.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-15-12, 16:09
Matthijs Matthijs is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janraaskalt View Post
He cannot blame the lack of points. I could blame my lack of goals in the Premier League for not getting a contract at Manchester City, but the fact is I am not good enough. There a tons of football players without goals who get a contract, just like there a hundreds of cyclists without points who get a contract.

If Radioshack was satisfied with him, he would have gotten a contract extension. Radioshack wasn't looking for points; they hired Devolder, for crying out loud.
Even Devolder in a bad year wins more then Joost Postuma. Ok not every bad year, but at least he became Belgium champion, won TT, Belgium Tour after his Rvv wins..
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-15-12, 16:42
hfer07's Avatar
hfer07 hfer07 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysmo View Post
Purito makes a good point regarding the fact that domestiques receive no points for burying themselves for the greater good of the team. I believe the TEAM should receive points for race results and that a rider's minimum points total should be the team points total. You can then add on individual points for the top tier of riders that win.

I'm sure I've probably missed some of the intricacies of what the point system needs to do. However, this is a TEAM sport, is it not?

Cheers! -Tom
The problem here is this: We have many riders like "Andy Schleck" how can single-handed win a load of points by finishing second in the tour & not racing the entire season, while the help gets sh!t & burn themselves for nothing....

bottom line: Domestiques MUST get to "race" too & earn points for themselves
__________________
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
Sun Tzu

Last edited by hfer07; 11-15-12 at 19:33.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-15-12, 17:07
Afrank's Avatar
Afrank Afrank is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 7,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janraaskalt View Post
He cannot blame the lack of points. I could blame my lack of goals in the Premier League for not getting a contract at Manchester City, but the fact is I am not good enough. There a tons of football players without goals who get a contract, just like there a hundreds of cyclists without points who get a contract.

If Radioshack was satisfied with him, he would have gotten a contract extension. Radioshack wasn't looking for points; they hired Devolder, for crying out loud.
I don't think he is entirely blaming not finding a team on lack of points, just that a lot of teams are in need of riders with points more so then they are in need of domestiques. And that is just one contributing factor to some riders not finding teams. I agree with you part of the reason riders are finding it difficult to find teams is not being good enough, I just don't think it is the only reason.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-15-12, 17:23
Ryo Hazuki's Avatar
Ryo Hazuki Ryo Hazuki is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
He himself said part of the reason was the points.
lol and you believe that
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-15-12, 17:24
Ryo Hazuki's Avatar
Ryo Hazuki Ryo Hazuki is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
The reason for him not getting a team is a combination of reasons, one of them is the points, another of them was him not being good enough, another being sick at key moments during this season, another lack of motivation. I think Posthuma could still be capable of being a good domestique though, he did good work for Schleck in the 2011 tour.
no he's not. his motivation sucks. that's the reason he's out of the cycling world and thank god for that. just read one interview with him and you understand. zero selfreflection. I wish him good luck finding any sort of career in our society. he will need it
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-15-12, 17:26
Ryo Hazuki's Avatar
Ryo Hazuki Ryo Hazuki is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
I don't think he is entirely blaming not finding a team on lack of points, just that a lot of teams are in need of riders with points more so then they are in need of domestiques. And that is just one contributing factor to some riders not finding teams. I agree with you part of the reason riders are finding it difficult to find teams is not being good enough, I just don't think it is the only reason.
if posthuma is disapointed that teams like euskaltel didn't want him then he's even more of a joke. if he had any class left he could've stayed with a much stronger team who don't need points and let's face it. at least 15 wt teams don't need riders with points and don't select on that, not to mention ALL the pct teams. so he shouldn't whine and tell the truth instead of all his bs excuses
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-16-12, 00:36
Afrank's Avatar
Afrank Afrank is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 7,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
lol and you believe that
Is there any reason not to believe him? Other than it being contradictory to what you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
no he's not. his motivation sucks. that's the reason he's out of the cycling world and thank god for that. just read one interview with him and you understand. zero selfreflection. I wish him good luck finding any sort of career in our society. he will need it
He said that his motivation was part of the problem. And like I said I think it is only one part of multiple reasons for not getting on a team for 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
if posthuma is disapointed that teams like euskaltel didn't want him then he's even more of a joke. if he had any class left he could've stayed with a much stronger team who don't need points and let's face it. at least 15 wt teams don't need riders with points and don't select on that, not to mention ALL the pct teams. so he shouldn't whine and tell the truth instead of all his bs excuses
Whenever any pro says something that is contradictory to your point of view you call them a liar and say they are making excuses. Your logic is brilliant . Not everyone lies and makes up excuses like you think, And he did pretty much say that not being good enough was part of the problem. He's not making any excuses, just stating the reasons for him not getting a contract for 2013.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-16-12, 08:21
janraaskalt janraaskalt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 731
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
And like I said I think it is only one part of multiple reasons for not getting on a team for 2013.
I agree with you here: there are multiple reasons. It seems to me that Posthuma has the level to act on World Tour level (and I like him). I wonder however why he did not get a contract extension at Radioshack.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.