Travis Tygart for S.I. Sportsperson of the Year - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 11-15-12, 17:07

Default Travis Tygart for S.I. Sportsperson of the Year

Some will think this is just about Lance, but it isn't. USADA showed to the sporting world that problems that have been ignored for years can be addressed. They showed that this can be achieved in an ethical, non-corruptible, manner. Recognizing and celebrating this process hopefully encourages similar actions in the future.....as well as lessens the need for them

This idea has been suggested to the new editor of SI. The editor also listens to the letters and emails from the public, and every email is read. You, and your friends, can write them at

letters@si.timeinc.com

thanks
Old 11-15-12, 17:14

At last, Sanity
Old 11-15-12, 17:31

Armstrong should SI sports person of the year. It'll bring more awareness of who he really is/was.
Old 11-15-12, 18:32

That we hold Tygart up as an example of ethics and achievement shows just how far into the muck sports have fallen. The man did a great job in the face of adveristy, but he just did his job. Sad that doing what you are supposed to do has become such a rarity in pro sports that we honour the few that do. There is honour in doing your duty, but I would rather we focused our efforts into exposing and removing the corrupt bums who occupy positions of influence. It was corrupt officials, journalists, politicians, and corporate leaders who chose profit over integrity, silenced the honest, and created this mess.
Old 11-15-12, 19:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedaling squares View Post
That we hold Tygart up as an example of ethics and achievement shows just how far into the muck sports have fallen. The man did a great job in the face of adveristy, but he just did his job. Sad that doing what you are supposed to do has become such a rarity in pro sports that we honour the few that do. There is honour in doing your duty, but I would rather we focused our efforts into exposing and removing the corrupt bums who occupy positions of influence. It was corrupt officials, journalists, politicians, and corporate leaders who chose profit over integrity, silenced the honest, and created this mess.
well said.
indeed striking how much of a rarity fair play has become in the world of prosport.

while tygart clearly deserves all honor, i hope the general public won't forget to honor floyd, who made this all possible and had the balls to blow the whistle, and kimmage, who has been made to suffer, indeed, for doing his job.

Last edited by sniper; 11-15-12 at 19:19.
Old 11-15-12, 19:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper View Post
well said.
indeed striking how much of a rarity fair play has become in the world of prosport.

while tygart clearly deserves all honor, i hope the general public won't forget to honor floyd, who made this all possible and had the balls to blow the whistle, and kimmage, who has been made to suffer, indeed, for doing his job.
here here!
Old 11-15-12, 20:51
Administrator

I wholeheartedly disagree. Without Tygart fearlessly and relentlessly going above and beyond the call of duty, none of this would have been possible.

Yes, there are others who deserve honorable mention who suffered greatly, both financially and psychologically, but Tygart was the man who put in the work in an official capacity, despite what must have been tremendous pressure to call off the dogs.

Email sent. Thanks, Race Radio.
Old 11-15-12, 21:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Radio View Post
Some will think this is just about Lance, but it isn't. USADA showed to the sporting world that problems that have been ignored for years can be addressed. They showed that this can be achieved in an ethical, non-corruptible, manner. Recognizing and celebrating this process hopefully encourages similar actions in the future.....as well as lessens the need for them

This idea has been suggested to the new editor of SI. The editor also listens to the letters and emails from the public, and every email is read. You, and your friends, can write them at

letters@si.timeinc.com

thanks
This is way beyond Lance.

This is about baseball, football, basketball, hockey, Athletics, Tennis and every other major sport where doping is epidemic and little is being done.

This is about the epidemic of cheating, and the lone figure that took on someone of Lance's stature and won. That person is truly deserving of Sportsperson of the year - they are possibly the only person that is trying to keep sport sporting.

This would be a victory for all those who are tired of the inability of US professional sport to rid us of Roger Clemmens, Barry Bonds and their counterparts.

Dave.

Lance says he will cooperate with Landis Investigation

"I've done too many good things for too many people"
Old 11-15-12, 21:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzin View Post
I wholeheartedly disagree. Without Tygart fearlessly and relentlessly going above and beyond the call of duty, none of this would have been possible.

Yes, there are others who deserve honorable mention who suffered greatly, both financially and psychologically, but Tygart was the man who put in the work in an official capacity, despite what must have been tremendous pressure to call off the dogs.

Email sent. Thanks, Race Radio.
disagree with what/whom? i think we agree here.
Old 11-15-12, 21:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper View Post
disagree with what/whom? i think we agree here.
not to worry. it's a common failing in the Clinic... people don't actually read what others have written