women are right! - Page 10 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 11-16-12, 00:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
I was meaning more that people don't feel the need to devalue Fraser's achievements by comparing her to Bolt, because the women's 100m and 200m are seen as valuable events in and of themselves, even if the men's events are more popular. The fact that Fraser runs 100m slower than Bolt is not considered an obstacle to the validation of her achievement.

To take it elsewhere in track and field, I'd argue that Blanka Vlašić and Yelena Isinbayeva are more well-known than any male athletes in their chosen field, and their success is not generally devalued by men being able to jump/vault higher than them in the same way that female cyclists are being devalued by having their performances directly compared to their male equivalents.
It's not about devaluing, it's about not caring enough. I appreciate their sacrifices, dedication but even now with one live race per year I can't be bothered to watch the WC. But I guess this is offensive behavior.

I did watch the Olympics RR though.
Old 11-16-12, 00:32

Some people pretend this is a human rights issue or something. It's just preferences, just like I usually skip (most of the) the cobbled classics, because I don't care about them.
Old 11-16-12, 00:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnout View Post
It's not about devaluing, it's about not caring enough. I appreciate their sacrifices, dedication but even now with one live race per year I can't be bothered to watch the WC. But I guess this is offensive behavior.

I did watch the Olympics RR though.
It's not offensive to say you prefer one to the other, what is offensive is when people start talking nonsense to put other people down. (last bit not aimed at you btw)
Old 11-16-12, 00:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Boom's ride in Roubaix was more impressive than a win in an Italian semi-classic. Or his fifth place at the Worlds leaving all Colombians behind.
I agree with the Boom bit but he needs to actually podium there and all those Italian races have good finishes.
Henao did not finish that far behind Boom at the WC.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"
Old 11-16-12, 01:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenedge View Post
I agree with the Boom bit but he needs to actually podium there and all those Italian races have good finishes.
Henao did not finish that far behind Boom at the WC.
But "world class rider" Carlos Betancur finished more than 2 minutes behind if I remember correctly. Henao was ninth.

All those Italian races have a rather weak field since Lombardia moved.

Anyway, I don't watch female cycling, but I don't mind if other people enjoy it.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 11-16-12 at 01:07.
Old 11-16-12, 01:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnout View Post
Like I've said, my mate beats the second best Dutch female rider of the last few years without training. This argument really is not valid.
beats her at what? Are they both aware that they are racing each other? I know the answer. Vos can punish a huge number of men. I think you should put you and your friends claims on youtube with some name and face association. Many Dutch destroyers will take up your claim and your non training friend may find that the possession of a penis doesn't mean you are fast.

When Armstrong started I am sure he was amazed at just how astonishing Team Lycra was, Berglund,Meister and Golay bringing rides to the redline with elite studs from all disciplines,from MTB to Ironmen the speeds were very,very high on those Wednesdays.Maybe Horner will chime in about Sorrento Valley or Otay training crits, female riders were in the mix. I would take a Twigg or Furtado over your pal in a man vs woman race.
Old 11-16-12, 01:45

Whether a handful of individuals enjoy women's cycling or not is not really the point, is it? I thought the question was whether women cyclists deserve the same pay as men (or at least increased relative to what it is now).

I don't think they do because women don't generate nearly as much money. Cyclists don't get paid for the amount of work they do, they get paid for how much money they can generate. (through fans, sponsors, viewers, etc.).

We can say it's a catch-22, where they can't bring in the money because they don't get the exposure, but they don't get the exposure because they don't bring in the money, but this is part of the process of developing a sport. We shouldn't create "artificial interest" by overpaying them.
Old 11-16-12, 03:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
But "world class rider" Carlos Betancur finished more than 2 minutes behind if I remember correctly. Henao was ninth.

All those Italian races have a rather weak field since Lombardia moved.

Anyway, I don't watch female cycling, but I don't mind if other people enjoy it.
Uggh, the "Italian race" was Piemont which moved WITH Lombardy and took place 2 days before lombardy as it always has.

exactly the same place it had in relation to lombardia when your beloved gilbert won it twice and went on to win Lombardia both times.

So to chalk Urans win there to a poor field because lombardia moved is pure ignorance.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.

Last edited by The Hitch; 11-16-12 at 03:37.
Old 11-16-12, 05:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Uggh, the "Italian race" was Piemont which moved WITH Lombardy and took place 2 days before lombardy as it always has.

exactly the same place it had in relation to lombardia when your beloved gilbert won it twice and went on to win Lombardia both times.

So to chalk Urans win there to a poor field because lombardia moved is pure ignorance.
It's only a few days after the Worlds, so lot's of people will skip it. I never actually stated Piemonte didn't move nor does my post imply that. I was talking about Emilia and GP Beghelli anyway.

So what if Phil won Piemonte? It's still a small race without a world class field. Is that the only argument you got, bringing up Phil every time? You always find something to argue about lol, but for goodness sake, Piemonte is not and never was a race with a world class field. Compare it to Dwars door Vlaanderen if you must lol.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 11-16-12 at 06:14.
Old 11-16-12, 06:03

thats right