Pat McQuaid seeks nomination from CI for 3rd term - Page 2 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 11-16-12, 11:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankChickens View Post
I think that tweet has been deleted? Can't see anything on that link..
https://twitter.com/ConorTMcGrane/st...30804322500608
Old 11-16-12, 11:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
. When I asked this there was only mention of the biological passport... which was actually spearheaded by Anne Gripper, and we know where she stands on Pat...

So again, what has Pat contributed in any positive way since 2005?
McQuaid's recent open letter listed the following accomplishments of the UCI related to doping:
"the haematocrit test, the EPO tests, the homologous blood transfusion test and the blood passport"

As you say impossible for him to take credit for these.

Besides placing blame on the scientific community for not coming up with better tests, and blaming the riders for final responsibility for doping, McQuaid mentions the new UCI "hotline", so that riders can snitch other riders directly to the UCI. Riiiiiiiight. Especially seeing how well the UCI has treated other whistleblowers.
Old 11-16-12, 11:57

Is it just me, or does anyone else wonder just WTF we even need the UCI for - sincerely?

And WTF are they paying a PR company for when me, being part of the <public> feel the <relations> with the UCI is quite possibly the worst it has ever been?
Old 11-16-12, 12:03
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Wiggo View Post
Is it just me, or does anyone else wonder just WTF we even need the UCI for - sincerely?

And WTF are they paying a PR company for when me, being part of the <public> feel the <relations> with the UCI is quite possibly the worst it has ever been?
All sports need a governing body, if only to organise and co-ordinate technical rules of the sport. Even F1 has the FIA.

doesn't mean it has to be the bloody UCI, mind! Perhaps a new FIC (Federation International du Cyclisme?), start from scratch?

One thing I'm not sure of is how useful UCI currently is on the no-profile stuff - they're useless for pro-racing, or doping control, but do they do any useful work on the more mundane level?
Old 11-16-12, 16:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankChickens View Post
So if Cycling Ireland do not nominate him, presumably this will be a big problem for Pat? Who do we email at CI to request that they do not put him forward? Would an online petition help? Plenty of cyclists out there, especially right now, who would love to see the back of McQuaid.
The tradition of his home country nominating him would end. I find it difficult to believe finding another UCI federation to nominate him would be an issue if he can't buy enough votes in Ireland.

Should the nomination be difficult, per the usual IOC mechanics he would simply find another federation to nominate him by promising a nice expenses-paid business trip to the TdF for the federation bosses. The usual IOC bribery that could or could not be expensed to the UCI at a later date..

The guy leading the charge to deny Pat a nomination in Ireland is headed in the right direction. He needs more support. IMHO it's the tip of a huge iceberg of change.
Old 11-16-12, 17:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWorks View Post
The tradition of his home country nominating him would end. I find it difficult to believe finding another UCI federation to nominate him would be an issue if he can't buy enough votes in Ireland.

Should the nomination be difficult, per the usual IOC mechanics he would simply find another federation to nominate him by promising a nice expenses-paid business trip to the TdF for the federation bosses. The usual IOC bribery that could or could not be expensed to the UCI at a later date..

The guy leading the charge to deny Pat a nomination in Ireland is headed in the right direction. He needs more support. IMHO it's the tip of a huge iceberg of change.
How can we provide our support?

I have zero confidence in our National SO, unfortunately. Moreover, they could justifiably take the position that they cannot interfere in matters within the jurisdiction of another National SO. Thus, 'official' channels are not available to communicate support.

Dave.

Lance says he will cooperate with Landis Investigation

"I've done too many good things for too many people"
Old 11-16-12, 17:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinvickers View Post
All sports need a governing body, if only to organise and co-ordinate technical rules of the sport. Even F1 has the FIA.

doesn't mean it has to be the bloody UCI, mind! Perhaps a new FIC (Federation International du Cyclisme?), start from scratch?

One thing I'm not sure of is how useful UCI currently is on the no-profile stuff - they're useless for pro-racing, or doping control, but do they do any useful work on the more mundane level?
The UCI has a few critical, boring, purposes.

1. Produce most aspects of the Olympics cycling events to elaborate and precise IOC standards.
2. Develop talent for ASO/RCS(giro organizer) events.
3. Coordinate international race calendars.
4. Act as Q/C for elite, professional teams. The history of cycling is littered with suddenly failed "pro" teams.
5. maintain and enforce standards for events.

Now, all that assumes the UCI is a fair dealer, and they aren't. But, they do lots of boring international stuff.
Old 11-16-12, 17:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Queued View Post
How can we provide our support?

I have zero confidence in our National SO, unfortunately. Moreover, they could justifiably take the position that they cannot interfere in matters within the jurisdiction of another National SO. Thus, 'official' channels are not available to communicate support.

Dave.
Perhaps reply to the tweet below as to what the "electorate" is? Once that is established, whether it's a quorum of CI clubs, or CI members or other, then lobby the heck out of em!?!?

https://twitter.com/ConorTMcGrane/st...30804322500608

Course there's always route 1:

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/Home/Co...g-Ireland.aspx
Old 11-16-12, 19:05

A real alternative candidate needs to run against him, that's the crucial thing. And with all that's happened, I think Hein's dirty campaigning tricks will looked at a lot differently this time than when Pat last ran opposed in 2005.
Old 11-16-12, 22:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWorks View Post
The UCI has a few critical, boring, purposes.

1. Produce most aspects of the Olympics cycling events to elaborate and precise IOC standards.
2. Develop talent for ASO/RCS(giro organizer) events.
3. Coordinate international race calendars.
4. Act as Q/C for elite, professional teams. The history of cycling is littered with suddenly failed "pro" teams.
5. maintain and enforce standards for events.

Now, all that assumes the UCI is a fair dealer, and they aren't. But, they do lots of boring international stuff.
Thanks for the list.

What is #2?

Curious where the World Cycling Centre fits into all this?