Giro del Lazio returns - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 11-15-12, 21:50

Default Giro del Lazio returns

According to the cyclingnews article, the Giro del Lazio may be returning as an early March race. It looks as though RCS has it down for the Saturday after Omloop, with the Strade Bianche being moved to the Sunday.

Nice to see Lazio return, and I'm a particular fan of the Rome region - I like the sound of going over the Appia Antica cobbles. Those things are so big they make Roubaix cobbles look like little stones.

That said, is moving Strade Bianche to the Sunday a good thing? I'm not sure. I love that race and it's just started getting TV coverage. It will now be going head to head with Paris-Nice. Given the choice between Strade Bianche and Paris-Nice opening stage, I'd pick Strade Bianche every time, and I won't be alone on this forum on that one - but will the TV companies see it that way? Somehow I doubt it. Strade Bianche won't miss out on riders because of this but we as fans might be the losers.
Old 11-15-12, 22:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cult Classics View Post
According to the cyclingnews article, the Giro del Lazio may be returning as an early March race. It looks as though RCS has it down for the Saturday after Omloop, with the Strade Bianche being moved to the Sunday.

Nice to see Lazio return, and I'm a particular fan of the Rome region - I like the sound of going over the Appia Antica cobbles. Those things are so big they make Roubaix cobbles look like little stones.

That said, is moving Strade Bianche to the Sunday a good thing? I'm not sure. I love that race and it's just started getting TV coverage. It will now be going head to head with Paris-Nice. Given the choice between Strade Bianche and Paris-Nice opening stage, I'd pick Strade Bianche every time, and I won't be alone on this forum on that one - but will the TV companies see it that way? Somehow I doubt it. Strade Bianche won't miss out on riders because of this but we as fans might be the losers.
if that is an actual pic of the road they are talking about it would be ridiculous. those are carriage tracks you see worn out in the stones, it would be an absolute deathtrap with all the crashes.
Old 11-15-12, 22:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerundium View Post
if that is an actual pic of the road they are talking about it would be ridiculous. those are carriage tracks you see worn out in the stones, it would be an absolute deathtrap with all the crashes.
That is the same road (it's a long road, an old Roman road), but I don't know how much of the road they would ride or whether that specific bit above. The photo's just one I found on a well-known encyclopaedic website.
Old 11-16-12, 00:40

I think most of the road has those carriage tracks though. Fascinating to see. Beautiful road. You'd probably need Roubaix bikes to ride this race if true. Or at least for that part of the race.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 11-16-12, 12:55

actually the race parcours DID use parts of this Appia road, with those huge stones, but I can't find any pictures (I think they used it until 93 or 95)
Old 11-16-12, 13:45

I walked along a few kilometres of that road and it was painful enough, never mind doing it on a bike!

Is nobody else down about Strade Bianche moving to Sunday (and so probably not getting on TV outside Italy as broadcasters choose Paris-Nice)?
Old 11-16-12, 14:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cult Classics View Post
I walked along a few kilometres of that road and it was painful enough, never mind doing it on a bike!

Is nobody else down about Strade Bianche moving to Sunday (and so probably not getting on TV outside Italy as broadcasters choose Paris-Nice)?
SB conflicting with P-N is a problem. The race has real potential way beyond Italy and could generate excitement to fans outside the niche online stream hunters.

Cycling needs to get the stuff that really works in focus.
Old 11-16-12, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
SB conflicting with P-N is a problem. The race has real potential way beyond Italy and could generate excitement to fans outside the niche online stream hunters.

Cycling needs to get the stuff that really works in focus.
Agree. Meanwhile expect 2 hours of coverage on flat stages of the Tour of Poland.
Old 11-30-12, 18:30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerundium View Post
There are a few sections of the road that look like that, but most of it is in nice little cobbles very similar to the PR ones (but probably in better conditions). They could very well take other roads to avoid those bad sectors. Or just leave them as they are and have fun
Depending how they'll design this it could be VERY challenging. The cobbles sector would be various kms long, and the Via Appia ends in Rome itself, so the finishing line wouldn't be far. I'd say 5 kms at most. I'm bumping this thread because I think this will be the race to be held on the Friday before MSR, as RCS hinted.

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
Old 11-30-12, 18:33
Administrator

from Streetview

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...