Cadel Evans is a Clean Champion - Page 53 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 11-03-12, 00:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
Gerrans is a guy who, a few years ago, was a really interesting prospect, with great tactical sense to choose the right breaks and get good wins.

Then, he became a contender for the hilly classics, inasmuch as Haimar Zubeldia was a challenger for Grand Tours. He gave up all that tactical nous for the opportunity to come 7th in the uphill sprint from the bunch. And yet he was consistently being talked up as a major contender, when he was to puncheur finishes what José Joaquín Rojas is to sprints. The idea that the whole Australian team backed him over Evans in Mendrisio is proof either that Evans is unbelievably unpopular or Australian cyclists don't have a clue and let their hearts rule their heads, because in 2009 Evans was so much better as an option for the win on that course than Gerrans.

I'm glad that Gerrans has seemed to have come out of his shell a bit again, and has been prepared to take those risks that won him races back in his Crédit Agricole and Cervélo days, because allying the stronger Gerrans of the last 2-3 years with the more tactically astute gambler of the 2-3 years before that has created someone who is actually a genuine challenger to win any (non-cobbled) Classic, not somebody who gets talked up because they won Plouay and happen to come from Australia.
remarkable acuity. Like the Rojas reference. Tho Rojas Gil did threaten to win a green top one stage in july. Give Gerro time in the Ardennes. I think he has equivalent native talent to Frank, and Kolobnev would be an accurate comparison imo.

Need to balance January and February early season objectives, for the antipode. Now he has a national title and the via roma win. He might put his peak back 6 weeks. patience for the next two years may be warranted.
Old 11-03-12, 06:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiton View Post
You might be referring to the time he was holding a press conference at the Tour, while wearing the Maillot Jaune. A reporter asked him to comment on someone else's doping, and he responded, "I don't think I'm really in a position to talk about that."

Some people saw this as a tacit admission on his part, or maybe an inadvertent slip. It may have been the latter, I don't know, but clearly he only meant to say that he was not an expert in the field and/or had no knowledge of the case in question. His answer, in any event, was awkward, but it would be a stretch to call it an admission.
Or, quite simply, that when riding clean and arriving knackered to retain the yellow, "now is not a good time to ask me about doping as I might spill the beans on it, which, wearing the yellow, is not the right time for the sport and me to do so"...

That's how I read it at the time. But fully admit I was biased at the time...

“Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.”

Old 11-03-12, 07:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Or, quite simply, that when riding clean and arriving knackered to retain the yellow, "now is not a good time to ask me about doping as I might spill the beans on it, which, wearing the yellow, is not the right time for the sport and me to do so"...

That's how I read it at the time. But fully admit I was biased at the time...
Maybe. Fair point.
Old 11-03-12, 07:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiton View Post
Maybe. Fair point.
That was the presser(what)I was referring to, thanks. I sure hope Cadel IS clean.
Old 11-17-12, 15:22

Seems credible to me :
Quote:
Evans too has had to face rumours of doping. “As a clean athlete and to be accused of being a drug cheat, personally it’s very offensive and very hard to take. Maybe those people have a thing or two to learn about commitment, hard work, dedication and how far people can go with natural ability.”
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/evan...mstrongs-tours
Old 11-17-12, 15:58

Maybe I'm too much of a cynic, but I'm a bit wary about how long it's taken him to say something like that. His previous statements were a lot more neutral. I can't help but think he's been waiting to see where the wind is currently blowing.

Still, there are some who are sticking to the party line without any regard to the wind, so that's something.
Old 11-17-12, 16:11

Are there any kind of PEDs that can contribute to difficulties in fighting off infections, or that can produce similar or look-a-like symptoms?

Dave.

Lance says he will cooperate with Landis Investigation

"I've done too many good things for too many people"
Old 11-17-12, 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by webvan View Post
What's credible about Evans when he states that the mentality in cycling has changed so drastically? Since when? Based on what?
The available parameters (Riis, Bruyneel, Contador, Schlecks, Spanish Armada, Astana, Sky, etc. etc.) suggest it's hogwash. Such a statement casts a dark shadow on his claim that he himself is clean.
Old 11-17-12, 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper View Post
What's credible about Evans when he states that the mentality in cycling has changed so drastically? Since when? Based on what?
The available parameters (Riis, Bruyneel, Contador, Schlecks, Spanish Armada, Astana, Sky, etc. etc.) suggest it's hogwash. Such a statement casts a dark shadow on his claim that he himself is clean.
Yep, it just sounds like a polite version of Wiggins' whine.

Why have neither of them made any statement denouncing Gianni Bugno, their own professional association boss? Is he so powerful they're too scared to?

Bugno has described Armstrong (since the reasoned decision) as a great rider, who's legacy should be respected, or some similar drivel.
Old 11-17-12, 19:59

nobody cares about bungo's statements save you and also I doubt evans even knows those statements and even then. who the **** is bugno? the guy that steers the helicopter during the giro?