Cuisine Corner - Page 79 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 11-13-12, 21:45

Never argue about pasta with an Italian I've tried it.

SafeBet, do you also exactly measure the amount of time the pasta is boiling? I didn't do this the first time I had Italian housemates and they were so surprised and shocked I've never tried cooking pasta without a timer again
Old 11-13-12, 21:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeBet View Post
Where did you take the boullion cube idea from?
It's slightly odd unless you prepare tortellini or ravioli, or some other kind of broth pasta.
Just from my head!
I don't prepare anything with fancy Italian sounding names, it's food I don't give it names...
Old 11-14-12, 05:57

Quote:
Where did you take the boullion cube idea from?
It's slightly odd unless you prepare tortellini or ravioli, or some other kind of broth pasta.
It helps give the pasta some flavor. The other thing I do is salt the water to the point the water is too salty to sip. Kosher salt in the U.S. is much preferred. American table salt is all wrong for cooking.

Canned pasta sauce is a crime. You'd be better off just burning the money.

As for canned, peeled tomatos, put them in a pan and simmer them down to sauce without much of the liquid from the can. Start it the same time as the water boiling. When you put the hard pasta in the water pot to cook, add salt, pepper and raw garlic. Plenty of garlic and a splash of olive oil to get the sauce to spread better. Add basil and whatever last and stir well before serving. San Marzano tomatos are preferred for their low moisture content.

This is not hard to do. You've got one pot boiling water and the other simmering tomatos and both are done at the same time.

Last edited by DirtyWorks; 11-14-12 at 06:04.
Old 11-14-12, 22:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedheadDane View Post
Just from my head!
I don't prepare anything with fancy Italian sounding names, it's food I don't give it names...

Dear Dane, I guess we're better off talking about cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnout View Post
SafeBet, do you also exactly measure the amount of time the pasta is boiling? I didn't do this the first time I had Italian housemates and they were so surprised and shocked I've never tried cooking pasta without a timer again
Ah, this is actually a discussed issue among italians themselves.
I've got friends who would never ever cook pasta without checking the clock.
But in my family, and in many others as well, we have the habit to just taste it every now and then until it's ready (and I mean italian ready, not the squashy thing people dare to call pasta in other countries).
Clearly, this requires having cooked pasta a few times and having an idea on when it's gonna be ready.

Oh and btw I don't eat much pasta myself, maybe once a week. I just find quirky to cook it in stock, though I know a few italians doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWorks View Post
It helps give the pasta some flavor. The other thing I do is salt the water to the point the water is too salty to sip. Kosher salt in the U.S. is much preferred. American table salt is all wrong for cooking.

Canned pasta sauce is a crime. You'd be better off just burning the money.
About the stock: if the pasta is good, and the sauce is good, you don't really need extra flavor. But I guess to each his own.
As for salt: we use coarse sea salt (which we actually call big salt )
Old 11-15-12, 10:29

Quote:

Dear Dane, I guess we're better off talking about cycling
Sure! As long as there are no fancy Italian names involves (And Giro d'Anything isn't a fancy Italian name, it's just the name...)

As for using a timer, I don't. I just sorta... frequently check to see if it's done. Also I'd rather give it a little too little than a little too much, mainly because of two reasons:

1: I'm kinda impatient and don't wanna wait for my food to be done!

2: I prefer my pasta al dente.
Old 11-15-12, 22:55

Screw al dente, it's too fancy for ya
Old 11-16-12, 09:14

No it's not!
Old 11-17-12, 18:57

Quote:
Ah, this is actually a discussed issue among italians themselves.
I've got friends who would never ever cook pasta without checking the clock.
But in my family, and in many others as well, we have the habit to just taste it every now and then until it's ready (and I mean italian ready, not the squashy thing people dare to call pasta in other countries).
Clearly, this requires having cooked pasta a few times and having an idea on when it's gonna be ready.

Oh and btw I don't eat much pasta myself, maybe once a week. I just find quirky to cook it in stock, though I know a few italians doing it.

About the stock: if the pasta is good, and the sauce is good, you don't really need extra flavor. But I guess to each his own.
As for salt: we use coarse sea salt (which we actually call big salt )
I think pasta is absolutely great. Cheap, easy and quick, and with different flavors it can be different every time. If it only takes ~15 minutes to prepare, I don't care if I have to do it every day.

And in my time in Italy, I indeed learned that the best way is the simple way. You guys just add one or two ingredients and off you go, while in the Netherlands you have to absolutely stuff your pizza or pasta with literally everything before it is taken seriously.
Old 11-17-12, 20:48

Old 11-17-12, 22:38

1 whole chicken boil it in water for 15 minutes. Remove chicken from pot. Set it out to cool, if it's cut in half it is easier but not critical. After chicken is cool enough to remove all meat off the bone, combine half the chicken meat w the stock that was in the pot it was cooked in, add 2 diced potatoes,two stalks of celery, 3 large cut up carrots,2 zucchini or whatever you like heat until it boils.At boil toss in 8 oz of fat pasta,like ziti,penne,I like campanelle.let it go for 2 or 3 minutes,turn off heat and cover. It makes decent soup. With the other half of the chicken you tear it all off the bone and use it in stir fry, or open faced chicken sandwiches w gravy over cuscus or potatoes,or can make pulled chicken w way less fat, and yes a little less taste than baked or fried chicken.
I also do this w 2 chickens at a time and freeze the boneless chicken in containers for recipes later.

I also take the meat and make full size chicken pot pies using store bought crust. You get the two crust pack from the store, put chicken and veg in one crust after you combine it w a jar of gravy, use the other crust as the top, after it can be molded/welded w the bottom crust using your fingers. Put some green peas in your pie.
I have popped them right in the oven or if you make more than one they freeze and cook afterwards really easy. Now that it's 40 outside I have started doing some heat up the house cooking
dogs go crazy for chicken skin so don't throw it out.