Stars and Watercarriers - Page 4 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 11-19-12, 12:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
I've already made a thread to debunk this. . . .
yada, yada, yada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
man I'd rather speak to a brick wall. . .
Ok, echo, down in front!

I have to wonder what that list of international participants would look like if you made it today. Hmmmm - I'll betcha it would be a LOT longer.

I liked the quip - there are more TEAMS from outside the main European cycling nations today, than there were riders back then. You see, I'm old enough that I remember John Howard. Did the US have a real presence against Merckx? Not really. Certainly not against Anquetil. Boyer and Lemond were the first real contenders to ride in Europe.

But do tell us, please, as a matter of history's sake. How many one-day classics, or short but major stage races did any riders from the US, Columbia, and Oz win, prior to Lemond?
Old 11-19-12, 14:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
yada, yada, yada.

Ok, echo, down in front!

I have to wonder what that list of international participants would look like if you made it today. Hmmmm - I'll betcha it would be a LOT longer.

I liked the quip - there are more TEAMS from outside the main European cycling nations today, than there were riders back then. You see, I'm old enough that I remember John Howard. Did the US have a real presence against Merckx? Not really. Certainly not against Anquetil. Boyer and Lemond were the first real contenders to ride in Europe.

But do tell us, please, as a matter of history's sake. How many one-day classics, or short but major stage races did any riders from the US, Columbia, and Oz win, prior to Lemond?
How many now? Goss, Gerrans and O'Grady... Nothing to show off about. Considering 2 of those won MSR and the other was from a breakaway.

Does the US have a real presence now? They have Phinney and that's about it anymore these days.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 11-19-12, 14:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
How many now? Goss, Gerrans and O'Grady... Nothing to show off about. Considering 2 of those won MSR and the other was from a breakaway.

Does the US have a real presence now? They have Phinney and that's about it anymore these days.
Old 11-19-12, 14:38

Do you ever come up with a real argument Ryo? I bet that dolphin in your avatar is smarter than you.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 11-19-12, 14:41

Belgians trying to convince the world that pro cycling was already extremely global in the days of Merckx... what else is new.
Old 11-19-12, 14:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Belgians trying to convince the world that pro cycling was already extremely global in the days of Merckx... what else is new.
No, not that. Just saying it's still very much a European sport these days.

Less popular in West-Europe(nowadays), but more popular outside of the traditional European cycling countries. I just don't see this supposed internationality of cycling. It's a European sport down to its core.

Australia and Great Britain have made the greatest leaps since the day of Merckx. USA had great cyclists in the past, but now there's few great American cyclists anymore. But then again, a good friend of Eddy Merckx was Tom Simpson. World champion, Ronde van Vlaanderen winner, Giro di Lombardia winner, Milan-San Remo winner and winner of Paris-Nice. Still the best British cyclist they ever had.

There's still very few Asian and African cyclists and that makes up for a large portion of the world population. Even South-Americans are non-existant in Europe except for Colombia.

If UCI was trying to create a global cycling then they failed. No surprise there.

I'd love to discuss further with you, but I'm afraid you're just going to resort to insults again and bring up my nationality all the time. Doesn't seem you're capable of much more then that.

Overall I would say that cycling is more popular now in Western countries. And East-Europeans now get the chance to ride in West-Europe, but they were always cycling, just behind the iron curtain. And Merckx did go there once in his amateur years and beat all their best riders. Very shameful defeat in sport for the Soviet-Russians.
Quote:

Last edited by El Pistolero; 11-19-12 at 15:33.
Old 11-19-12, 15:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Do you ever come up with a real argument Ryo? I bet that dolphin in your avatar is smarter than you.
I;m sure he is
Old 11-19-12, 16:54

Quote:
Did the US have a real presence against Merckx? Not really.
I'm still waiting for a US successor to Andy Hampsten.

Quote:
Certainly not against Anquetil.
I don't give a damn about Anquetil. I leave this sad rider to the Frogs, they deserve it, I guess.

Quote:
Boyer and Lemond were the first real contenders to ride in Europe.
Capital M for LeMond. Boyer raced against Merckx in 1977 and was constantly behind. And after that he had to mix it up with all the former opponents to Merckx + Hinault. Mike Neel and Tom Sneddon raced in Europe.

Quote:
For f*** sake, since when do you have to wait a win to assess the international character of a race.

You had riders from Oz, from Columbia, from New-Zealand, from Poland racing against Merckx. They were the best riders of their countries. They were perfectly trained. If they wished to win a major race, all they needed to do is beat Merckx. They did not, so Merckx was the best rider of an intercontinental era. Case closed.

For your information, Sir Hubert Opperman won Paris-Brest-Paris in 1931.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest
A quick look at your username tells me that you know nothing of cycling in the 70's.
Old 11-19-12, 16:58

By the way: Ryszard Szurkowski. It's really not that complicated.
Old 11-19-12, 17:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
A quick look at your username tells me that you know nothing of cycling in the 70's.
My username comes from a song I was listening to at the moment I signed up for this forum

But if it gives me perpetual youth, I'll gladly accept.