Are you afraid? - Page 17 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > General

General Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 04-17-11, 05:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by on3m@n@rmy View Post
Lahaina, Hawaii. Somewhere between Dickenson St, past Lahainalua down almost as far as Papalaua St. You might know of some other way, but google maps lets you zoom in past the maximum, which takes you to a webcam view... just like you are standing there looking at the streets. Then you can navigate yourself down the street... pretty intuitive in the navigation.

There are some pull off parking spots for cars, but these are always full. Then imagine traffic full both lanes and lots of tourist traffic on both sides.
I presume you mean Front Street.

goo.gl/maps/Vign

Yes, I would be riding near the yellow center stripe. I've been there when it's crowded with tourists (I was one of them!)... stay away from the curb for sure!
Old 04-17-11, 05:39

Has anyone been watching the videos which I've linked?

Here's another...

commuteorlando.com/wordpress/2010/03/01/the-dance-on-video/

Don't be afraid! Cycling in traffic is a dance!
Old 04-17-11, 05:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm View Post
I presume you mean Front Street.

goo.gl/maps/Vign

Yes, I would be riding near the yellow center stripe. I've been there when it's crowded with tourists (I was one of them!)... stay away from the curb for sure!
oh ya. sorry, front street is correct.
Old 11-19-12, 09:11

Default Black Black Black

Over the last couple of weeks now I have become less and less sympathetic with cyclists getting knocked over by cars.

What is it with you men with wearing BLACK WINTER GEAR ????

Okay you have a light front and back but you're on a wing and a prayer if you think motorists can see those. Why wont you wear hi-viz jackets ??

Yeh they look crap but its only for winter.

I,m also curious as to what kit Bradley Wiggins had on when hit. I bet my bottom penny that he had on the Black Sky kit...no hi - viz stuff...probably a tiny light. Anyone know ?

So - no sympathy with cyclists wearing black kit. Even in Holland, where the motorist is liable for any incident involved with a cyclist, it would be hard to convict when the rider is dressed in black.
Old 11-19-12, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle Chic View Post
Even in Holland, where the motorist is liable for any incident involved with a cyclist, it would be hard to convict when the rider is dressed in black.
Eh no. Dutch law only requires a light and a driver who misses a cyclist with a front and rear light is going to be guilty by default. You are probably from the UK with the hi-viz victim blaming mentality. In Holland, people ride bikes in regular clothes.
Old 11-19-12, 18:02

I moved to Boulder, Colorado and it is amazing how bike friendly car drivers are. There are still accidents (usually inexperienced riders) and the occasional nutty driver.
Old 11-19-12, 18:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aapjes View Post
Eh no. Dutch law only requires a light and a driver who misses a cyclist with a front and rear light is going to be guilty by default. You are probably from the UK with the hi-viz victim blaming mentality. In Holland, people ride bikes in regular clothes.
I've been riding in the city here for the better part of two months and, with a few exceptions, am far more trusting of most drivers, cabs and buses to act with competence on the roads than I was for several years in New York. There've been a few cases of getting on people's blind spots on the right side, but I don't rely on people to see me in those cases anyway.

From what I've seen of the high-viz jackets here, there's no guarantee at all that they'd be seen in situations and areas (late at night) by any driver who going too fast and is incapable of seeing decent lights.

Last edited by aphronesis; 11-19-12 at 19:23.
Old 11-19-12, 19:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by auscyclefan94 View Post
Even when I ride my mountain bike along trails you get morons of which you ring the bell at and they actually walk in front of you because they are clueless of the rule which is to keep to the left & move to the left side when a cyclist is passing.
There is no "rule". Just slow up and give pedestrians space. Getting all worked up about it isn't the answer. Lose the bell. "Ding, Ding! I'm a cyclist! All you lowly walkers, move from my path of destiny. Now! Or suffer the consequences you minions. Don't you know who I am?!"

Ride as if the pedestrians don't know you're there. Don't inconvenience them at all. Works much better than the imperious and arrogant "bell".
Old 11-19-12, 19:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle Chic View Post
Over the last couple of weeks now I have become less and less sympathetic with cyclists getting knocked over by cars.

What is it with you men with wearing BLACK WINTER GEAR ????

Okay you have a light front and back but you're on a wing and a prayer if you think motorists can see those. Why wont you wear hi-viz jackets ??

Yeh they look crap but its only for winter.

I,m also curious as to what kit Bradley Wiggins had on when hit. I bet my bottom penny that he had on the Black Sky kit...no hi - viz stuff...probably a tiny light. Anyone know ?

So - no sympathy with cyclists wearing black kit. Even in Holland, where the motorist is liable for any incident involved with a cyclist, it would be hard to convict when the rider is dressed in black.
This has to be wind up. Cyclists don't need your sympathy. They need for car drivers to stop killing them.
Old 11-19-12, 19:57

Default Get Noticed.

The point is it is hard for motorists to spot cyclists when they are wearing in effect camouflage gear. I have been driving recently and noticed how difficult it is in the winter to see cyclists. The light is very poor at this time of year so why would a cyclist not wear hi-viz clothing ?

You cant see lights from the side view either. We have to accept that we are nowhere close to having the Dutch driving laws. People riding in all black are asking for trouble.