Le Tour de France 2013: who will win? - Page 31 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2013 Tour
Alberto Contador 61 63.54%
Cristopher Froome 25 26.04%
Andy Schleck 6 6.25%
Vincenzo Nibali 2 2.08%
Cadel Evans / Teehay Van Garderen 2 2.08%
Ryder Hesjedal 1 1.04%
Alejandro Valverde / Juan Jose Cobo 1 1.04%
Other (specify) 1 1.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-12, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
True, but it was a separate day. An excellent day for Schleck and Contador. Mediocre day for Menchov who wavered all the way up to the top and Sanchez who crashed. The stage showed tendency but not its value. It's naive to assume that Contador and Schleck could have done something similar 2-3 times in the race even jointly, if they had needed this. So, that's a distance, but not a gulf.

To me Froome's climbing level in comparison to these 2 is unknown, to put it mildly. 2.5 years is too much to trust that relation of forces entirely.
Col de madeline. Schleck and contador go.
10 seconds later only 5 riders remain.
20 seconds later only 2 riders remain.
30 seconds later. No riders remain.
40 seconds later, they do track stands. Samuel sanchez gets back on.
45 seconds later. And sanchez is dropped again.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.

Last edited by The Hitch; 11-19-12 at 21:43.
Old 11-19-12, 22:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
In Samu's defense he had crashed earlier and had quite an extensive chase to regain contact so his performance was pretty impressive considering the circumstances.
Old 11-19-12, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angliru View Post
In Samu's defense he had crashed earlier and had quite an extensive chase to regain contact so his performance was pretty impressive considering the circumstances.

Read again

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 11-19-12, 22:16
Administrator

indeed Madeleine was as impressive as tourmalet, they put a lot of time into every1 even tho they were paced by jens voigt for a while before the top. if they just kept going they would have put more then 2 and a half minutes into every1 by the end of the stage.
Old 11-19-12, 22:22

Quote:
You offer to consider that stage the mirror of nowadays climbing hierarchy? IMO it's quite doubtful.
It is.But what is supposed to be the mirror?
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
what? quintana is already better climber than froome. see final stages of the tour and he's only 23. quintana is the best climber I've sene since pantani. he will become a legend
I am a fan of Afrank's hyping posts!
Excuse me for my English
Old 11-19-12, 23:22
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angliru View Post
If you admit that Froome's climbing level in comparison to Contador and Schleck is unknown, as many of us have been trying to impress upon you along, then why do you find it so hard to accept that until he proves himself against them we can't place him at their level?
Why? I accept. I'm just wondering why people generally underrate him a bit. Apparently, it is because of Wiggins and one can think Froome is the same cart without an explosive spark as Wiggins. Dunno. Just a feeling. Visually Froome makes a furious impression. The man with no weaknesses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILovecycling
It is.But what is supposed to be the mirror?
The mirror doesn't exist. Everything is too complicated.

Last edited by airstream; 11-19-12 at 23:27.
Old 11-20-12, 01:48

Quote:
The mirror doesn't exist. Everything is too complicated.
Jim Morrison before LSD??
Old 11-20-12, 01:53

Contador hasn't done anything like Madeleine/Tourmalet since, so why should we expect Andy to get back to that level?
Old 11-20-12, 02:18

I will never pick against Alberto Contador in a GT. I don't believe in Andy Schleck anymore. J-Rod has passed him, Froome has passed him and Wiggins has as well. With all that being said, there's too many if's and but's right now to pick the rest of the podium. I would literally have to make three different podiums to include/not include Wiggo and J-Rod, so I will hold off until I know more.
Old 11-20-12, 02:21
Administrator

Quote:
Why? I accept. I'm just wondering why people generally underrate him a bit. Apparently, it is because of Wiggins and one can think Froome is the same cart without an explosive spark as Wiggins. Dunno. Just a feeling. Visually Froome makes a furious impression. The man with no weaknesses.
He's being underrated because he is unknown, we don't know how he will do against the best climbers. It was easy to ride away from everyone on this years parcours, it will not be as easy next year. He might hang in there and show himself to be one of the best climbers, he might end up seeing the best ride away; only time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post
Contador hasn't done anything like Madeleine/Tourmalet since, so why should we expect Andy to get back to that level?
Because Andy has a stomach full of anger

In seriousness though, I think it is more a hope of seeing both Andy and Contador back at that level. I have my doubts as well that we will see them like they were in 2010 again, but I'll take even half of that over the bore that is Wiggo and his Sky train.

Also I think Contador at least could still have the ability to reach and perform at that level, 2011 wasn't that long ago.