U.S. Politics - Page 520 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 11-20-12, 00:36

Alpe - of course, you're the mod around here, and if you want to close this topic I guess you can and will...but, I thought that previous feedback was pretty clear in that most, if not all, of us thought there was a reasonable case for keeping this open, so as to divorce US politics talk, whether still election-related or not, from the General topic.

I think the last year or so has shown that more posters in this forum talk about US related 'serious stuff' than they6 do about the global picture. Can you not simply remove the '2012 election only' from the title, if that's what's bothering you, and change the title to 'US politics', for example? I really do think there's a case for two topics. It seems more sensible to me to keep an existing and reasonably thriving topic going - my opinion honestly has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that I happened to start this.
Old 11-20-12, 01:05
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
OMG what an idiot. And totally unfit for any office. not just for the wackjob beliefs but for not being able to figure out that hes better off just saying yes, rather than spend a paragrpah trying to explain why he doesn't know the answer to the 1 relevant question the magazine asked him.

Kind of ironic that a politician spends an entire interview talking at length about his favorite rap stars, but moans that questions about science have nothing to do with him.
The GQ interview was pretty interesting.

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/poli..._medium=twitte

A wag on another forum described it like this:

"Sounds like Marco is taking night courses at Romney U. The school motto: Take no position you can't be on both sides of later."

Bobby Jindal, the other Republican Great Brown Hope, is even worse. Anyone who took part in an exorcism should have a reserved seat on the express bus to crazy town.
Old 11-20-12, 12:58
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Bala Verde Send a message via Skype™ to Bala Verde

Another "moran" bites the dust:

Allen West concedes to Patrick Murphy
Old 11-20-12, 13:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala Verde View Post
Another "moran" bites the dust:

Allen West concedes to Patrick Murphy
Calling someone a Moran is cool if you are a moderator.

Now I guess we can guess how the Tea Party will claim that the election was rigged or stolen from West.

They have no choice because of the half wits that claimed GWB stole the election in 2000.
Old 11-20-12, 13:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Wilson View Post
Calling someone a Moran is cool if you are a moderator.

Now I guess we can guess how the Tea Party will claim that the election was rigged or stolen from West.

They have no choice because of the half wits that claimed GWB stole the election in 2000.
The tea party have so many ideas that people endorse. Gun ownership rights for example. Tea party says every kind of weapon all the time.They read the constitutional amendment in a way that make a regular citizen a rightful owner of a grenade launcher. Most people don't believe that. Rape? We have seen what both men and women think about rape victims rights. There are so many other issues where the tea party could have come a little left and gained votes but instead they leaned so far right that the majority found them extreme. In Florida anything extreme when it comes to immigration will sink you.
Old 11-20-12, 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatandfast View Post
The tea party have so many ideas that people endorse. Gun ownership rights for example. Tea party says every kind of weapon all the time.They read the constitutional amendment in a way that make a regular citizen a rightful owner of a grenade launcher. Most people don't believe that. Rape? We have seen what both men and women think about rape victims rights. There are so many other issues where the tea party could have come a little left and gained votes but instead they leaned so far right that the majority found them extreme. In Florida anything extreme when it comes to immigration will sink you.
Did you just say gun ownership? I agree with you.

Everyone should own many weapons. The grenade launcher is not that effective because of reload time,,,,(if you are talking about the M203 attached to my AR-15) now if you are talking about the MK 19 then that is a different story. I like me some Mark19 that is 40mm of pure love going down range on the bad guys at a cyclic rate of 325 to 375 rounds per minute!

I still like the M2 (maw duce) 50cal machine gun,,,it has a rate of,,, depending on the model 485 to 850 rounds per minute.
Of course the Geneva convention requires that these weapons not be used against personnel and only against equipment.

How did you get onto rape and immigration from the weapons talk?
Old 11-20-12, 15:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
The GQ interview was pretty interesting.

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/poli..._medium=twitte

A wag on another forum described it like this:

"Sounds like Marco is taking night courses at Romney U. The school motto: Take no position you can't be on both sides of later."

Bobby Jindal, the other Republican Great Brown Hope, is even worse. Anyone who took part in an exorcism should have a reserved seat on the express bus to crazy town.
Jindal is nuts, and not surprisingly in a state with a governor who believes in excorcism, the education system in Louisiana is an absolute joke.

http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marb...na-tax-dollars

Quote:
Thanks to a new law privatizing public education in Louisiana, Bible-based curriculum can now indoctrinate young, pliant minds with the good news of the Lord—all on the state taxpayers' dime.

Under Gov. Bobby Jindal's voucher program, considered the most sweeping in the country, Louisiana is poised to spend tens of millions of dollars to help poor and middle-class students from the state's notoriously terrible public schools receive a private education. While the governor's plan sounds great in the glittery parlance of the state's PR machine, the program is rife with accountability problems that actually haven't been solved by the new standards the Louisiana Department of Education adopted two weeks ago.

For one, of the 119 (mostly Christian) participating schools, Zack Kopplin, a gutsy college sophomore who's taken to Change.org to stonewall the program, has identified at least 19 that teach or champion creationist nonscience and will rake in nearly $4 million in public funding from the initial round of voucher designations.

Many of these schools, Kopplin notes, rely on Pensacola-based A Beka Book curriculum or Bob Jones University Press textbooks to teach their pupils Bible-based "facts," such as the existence of Nessie the Loch Ness Monster
Yep, private voucher schools, that's the ticket to a good education.
Old 11-20-12, 15:57

meh, jindal was never anything special. Rubio, even though he came through the tea party seemed like he might be someone with a few brain cells who was merely riding the tea party wave into power but it appears now that clearly is not the case
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 11-20-12, 16:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Wilson View Post
Did you just say gun ownership? I agree with you.

Everyone should own many weapons. The grenade launcher is not that effective because of reload time,,,,(if you are talking about the M203 attached to my AR-15) now if you are talking about the MK 19 then that is a different story. I like me some Mark19 that is 40mm of pure love going down range on the bad guys at a cyclic rate of 325 to 375 rounds per minute!

I still like the M2 (maw duce) 50cal machine gun,,,it has a rate of,,, depending on the model 485 to 850 rounds per minute.
Of course the Geneva convention requires that these weapons not be used against personnel and only against equipment.

How did you get onto rape and immigration from the weapons talk?
I never would have gotten on to it. When lots of tea partiers are asked about a variety of issues the responses that are recorded are extreme and usually alienate anybody with a practical life style. An example is that you need a license and insurance to own a car. You are required a different license at each level of vehicle, an 18 wheeler requires additional skills that the soccer mom may not need. The vehicles size and weight have restrictions on where it can be operated. Many residential areas will have size and weight limit signs to ensure that oil tankers or trucks from a quarry are not on the block while kids are playing outside. It makes sense with those machines but not guns.?. Guns are different machines that require no insurance or special training and @60% of the time ,no license process for the owner.

Now you can try, and fail to answer why that is the reality we live.

Rape was brought up, @half a dozen highly publicized times during the election cycle. The idea that a woman can't make choices after being the victim of a crime was astounding and stupid. If a punk spray paints your garage door with graffiti you need to live with the aftermath? If somebody breaks into a school and vandalizes it, the kids should return asap because it should not be repaired after the criminal act? Of course not. The effect is the same, the only difference is that tea peoples don't understand, then and now that a woman's body is her private property and she should be able to make medical and life decisions as to what is best for her, not some chubby Republican half whit telling her that as result of a crime your career,life, education just for starters are over or so altered that they may as well be.
Hello 20 year old college student, you need to shift gears because we have decided along with the guy who raped you that you need to be a mother now,rather than when you chose to do so, if ever.

The immigration issue is no less absurd. The economy has huge service industry and construction components. Immigrants both legal and illegal are a huge factor in both. Without them we all lose. The tea party folks also want to contract legal immigration to levels that represent some way to regain traction in high tech employment. Good luck with that.
The TPers can't see either end, from the scientist to the farm worker the tea party is ignoring reality. Just do a search for farm jobs offered that went unfilled be area residents.

If guns are your big issue cool. I like guns. I think everybody should be able to own them. I think that they should be sold and operated by people that are qualified,just like cars,trucks or ultralight planes or backhoes.

If people with vaginaz, brown, yellow or black skin are seen as fringe parts of society to the Tea Party they are doomed. The long standing stat that if an adult votes for one party in their first 3 elections,it puts them onboard with that political affiliation for life should worry the GOP from the left to the TeaBags to the far right.

PS lots of people in the Republican leadership say that the rape issue and the response to it within the party lost them the election and some closer races nation wide.The women have spoke,keep your politics off my p-ssy.

I have been a registered Republican , mainly for tax reasons. Now the tax issue has been settled. They code words capital gains as an untax.

What % of the population participates in capital gains?

Greater still what % participate within the tax code where capital gains make up the majority of their income? Romney is one. He made over $20,000,000 last year without working, just from dividend and cap gains income at less than 14%. I paid double that percent. I also pay at the register and pump,so does he. He was lucky enough to use my money to buy his gas and lots of political travel trough the election funds process. So I paid more than once at the pump. I don't think that he has created any jobs in a long time. I also see his comments on defense spending as bizzarre. Is defense not a government program? Are tanks and heavy weapons a growth industry. See we made it full circle. you will answer that you should be able to buy an M1 and drive it to get a pizza because it's your right.

As the population gets older and grey you better pray for somebody other than Piyush"Bobby" Jindal and Marco Rubio to represent the GOP crop.or pick the other Rubio that makes fish tacos.

Mitt paid more in taxes than he was asked by the IRS. He did so because he made statements about the average taxes he paid and added some cash so that he could get 14% rather than a lower number and would be truthful He did lie when asked if he would give the IRS more money than they asked for .
Old 11-20-12, 18:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatandfast View Post

What % of the population participates in capital gains?

Anybody who has any investment that has appreciated that is not taxed as a dividend or ordinary income and that does not have tax favored status (muni bonds as an example).

Mutual Funds outside of TQ plans, individual stocks, real estate (including primary residences homes), business interests, intellectual property... the goes on and on.

Is anybody paying attention to the amount of money flowing out of equities (investors liquidating positions now.. paying low-ish capital gains this year) and in to the Muni Bond market? The mad rush has happened since the election. Coincidence? Nope.

Expect ETF's and muni bonds to go crazy... although the left will tell you people don't make investments based on tax considerations