Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 01-31-10, 05:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravens View Post
apologies for having not read the entire thread...is anyone roasting their own beans? Where do you get 'green' beans? What typesof roasters do you use. I have heard a lot of people recommend a simple air popcorn popper as a basic start for a roasting device.

I will roast out of doors, I have heard the smoky odor and 'husk' or bean coating is a real mess.

Your thoughts....
I use the Behmor drum roaster from sweetmarias.com and have been happy with it. The roaster filters most of the smoke and I vent the rest. I use a salad spinner to separate any chafe that the roaster doesn't filter itself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bwade91...7621841805165/
Old 02-11-10, 02:56
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxer View Post
I use the Behmor drum roaster from sweetmarias.com and have been happy with it. The roaster filters most of the smoke and I vent the rest. I use a salad spinner to separate any chafe that the roaster doesn't filter itself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bwade91...7621841805165/
Thanks for the info, at this point, since I am not really committed to home roasting, I think I will get my wife an induction cook-top for her birthday (seriously, she won't mind) and along with a cast iron pan get a few pounds of green beans and try it out OUTSIDE. That way, if it's just a passing fancy, we get a neat induction cook-top out of the deal which I know I will use a lot.

What type of beans do you recommend for beginners? Do you get them at sweetmarias? There was a site that had some cheap beans (like 4.50/#), i think it was like coffebeancorral or something.

How many batches did it take to get a good quality batch? Thanks for the tip on the salad spinner.
Old 02-11-10, 14:22

Default Illy

I keep getting some of this or that beans but I keep going back to Illy. A can lasts 2 weeks and although I have other coffees as good I can get Illy in most cities. I prefer italian roasts and Lavazza is good too,
Old 11-17-12, 05:01

Default coffee beans

I was just searching for the same info.
I have a jar of green coffee extract capsules that I was wondering if I should start taking BUT I just quit coffee (because of the sugar, milk etc) and was wondering if it would do any good or just keep me hooked on caffeine.
Old 11-17-12, 12:22

Default coffee beans

If the coffee beans are whitish or faded around the edges then this is likely a result of insufficient drying or storage in humid conditions. The cup will be bland and ordinary. These white marks are also observed in coffee that has not been dried evenly. The part of the bean that has a whitish tone has higher moisture than the other parts of the bean. Whitish or discolored beans can also result from oxidation, contact with the earth, or polluted waters.
Old 11-17-12, 22:43

In my experience the best coffee beans come from Kenya. Caribou Coffee Co. offers a terrific lilghtly roasted Kenyan coffee. I checked their website and they don't appear to have any Kenyan at the moment. But when they do, it should be snapped up immediately. http://www.cariboucoffee.com/page/1/home.jsp
Old 11-18-12, 04:18

Peets Sulawesi, whole bean. Burr grind every morning and brewed through a Chemex drip with filtered water.
Old 11-20-12, 18:12

Default tried these?

have a look at www.ciclo.cc
Old 11-29-12, 05:03

don pachi esmerelda geisha.

best coffee in aus would be monk bodhi dharma in balaclava. no one else in its league. and if you drink white, even more so, because of the schulz milk.

its like your own portlandia, and you are trapped in the box. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syk24qq3d64
I just hope that rather than hate, judge, or feel cheated, that our community will choose to do the same - to move forward without forgetting and to ride, not for greed or fame, but for the unbridled joy and love that the simple act of cycling brings us.
that bombastic tosh is courtesy of Allen Lim
Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family.
Renton Trainspotting.
Choose Life
t-shirts George Michael before busted by the bobbies trawling Hyde Park for glory holes.
Old 11-29-12, 05:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oncearunner8 View Post
I have heard that before.

http://www.tomdanielson.com/pages/tdcoffee.htm

I also heard that "BlackCat" drinks this stuff all the time! He said the only drawback was that it gave him the "runs" 24/7!

after you drink it make sure PortaJohn is close or else.....................
bulldust OAR.

sorry to break it to you guys, but Melbourne is the number one in the world for coffee. sheets on prtland, ny, sanfran

this guy is the number 1 expert in the world, from norway, he is always doing a melbourne trip for seminars etc.

coffee can be good.

but its a bit of a ****.

like onanism in a mirror.
I just hope that rather than hate, judge, or feel cheated, that our community will choose to do the same - to move forward without forgetting and to ride, not for greed or fame, but for the unbridled joy and love that the simple act of cycling brings us.
that bombastic tosh is courtesy of Allen Lim
Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family.
Renton Trainspotting.
Choose Life
t-shirts George Michael before busted by the bobbies trawling Hyde Park for glory holes.