Money Laundering & Doping In Italy. Armstrong, Menchov named - Page 23 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 10-20-12, 12:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by the asian View Post
Were these riders training with Ferrari this year?

This is Moser's first year as a neo pro and It's hard to believe he would have trained under Ferrari as a junior.

It seems Pozzatto isn't the only idiot out there.
Surely it's Moreno's older brother, Leonardo Moser, then? Pro from 2005 to 2009.
Old 10-20-12, 12:56

OK. How about the US Feds reopening the Federal investigation that was closed earlier this year?
Old 10-20-12, 15:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
OK. How about the US Feds reopening the Federal investigation that was closed earlier this year?
Give this some time. Noone in Justice is doing much until after the November elections. Why some Republican ****s haven't played up support by Senators Feinstein & Boxer is the electorates current "women's issue" sensitivity. It will come and involve the requisite wire fraud and tax evasion.
Old 10-20-12, 16:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnout View Post
The Moser in the Bertagnolli paper is likely not Moreno, but Leonardo. Moreno was 17 at the time.
OK, I amended the original post to reflect the exact phrasing of Bertagnolli's statement, which says it was "Francesco Moser's cyclist nephew."

As for Vinokourov, Bertagnolli witnessed his training with Ferrari in 2006, so is pre-suspension. However, it being pre-suspension means little. Vinokourov was directly involved with both Fuentes and Ferrari, is knowledgeable to the point of expertise on the subject of systematic team doping involving transfusions, EPO, Ferrari, and the whole system. He is totally unacceptable as a team manager. Astana's license should be withdrawn. My guess is, once the formal accusations come out, Astana will cease to exist. More on that later.
Old 10-20-12, 16:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCutter View Post
If riders and teams are dependant on bankers to keep up the Omerta they are in real trouble. They will rat everyone out if it will keep themselves out of jail
The bankers are an interesting aspect of the Ferrari network. According to Gazzetta, the way it worked was, sports agent Scimone signed the agents to image rights contracts with T&F Sports Management, based in Monaco. These contracts were NOT registered with the UCI. Teams including Lampre and Astana made large payments directly to T&F Sports Management in Monaco. The money could then be transferred to accounts at UBS-Neuchâtel and BSI-Locarno, since the named bankers were friends of Scimone. Ferrari would travel in his camper van to St. Moritz, where he would be paid with cash withdrawals from the collaborating bank accounts. The money was then smuggled back into Italy, with corresponding doping products crossing the border in the reverse direction.

At least that's how I understand it. The end result is that money went by this roundabout means from Astana, Lampre (Scarponi), etc. to Dr. Ferrari and his network's PED suppliers.
Old 11-21-12, 03:59

How about some non-Armstrong/Sky talk.

So Scarponi and Visconti are going to get 3 month bans over winter. Do you think they made any meaningful testimony? Or are sticking to the "Just had a few tests" line used by the likes of Evans and Rogers? (I know they are in public). It is a bit of a joke.

CONI says they might revisit the case, but how much access do they have to the information from Padua, does Scarponi know there's big bombshells coming? Sure he's getting his suspension out of the way, but this is pretty much an admission of guilt. It is impossible that he (Along with Visconti, Pozzato and whoever else) didn't know that Ferrari is banned, they still took the risk.

I take it that this does not account as a second offense for Scarponi? Really, having worked with Fuentes and now Ferrari, I'd want a lengthy/life ban for him. Unless he gave a significant amount of evidence on people further up the food chain.

Looking forward to alot of answers once the investigation is concluded.
Old 11-21-12, 04:29

To ferminal and the hitch, thought you guys might remember the time I said that I thought Menchov was more suspicious than Cadel and both of you responded by saying that you thought Menchov was more or less "normal"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krebs Cycle
I find Menchov's performance history interesting more suspicious than Evans though. He has had pretty big ups and downs within a season on a few occasions and even his ITT results vary quite a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
I dont see why Menchovs performances are that suspicious in themselves anyway. He is a pure gt rider who for most of his career has had 1 good gt a year. 1 or 2 exceptions but generally that, until 2012 when he was 34.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal
Menchov won GTs in 2007 and 2009 but not 2008, hmm

He is dodgy for what we know of him off the bike, nothing about his performances/progression which makes him suspicious above any other GT contender who stepped up in the mid-2000s.
Well done lads. Glad to see your PEDs radar is working so well
Old 11-21-12, 04:31

?

You appear to have misunderstood the point I made.

That you only just worked out that Menchov is a doper is amusing though.
Old 11-21-12, 04:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarnstMorrissey View Post
Looking forward to alot of answers once the investigation is concluded.
The Omerta works in pretty obvious ways, the case will never conclude, but do expect mini conclusions for pretty much forever.
Old 11-21-12, 05:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChingon View Post
The Omerta works in pretty obvious ways, the case will never conclude, but do expect mini conclusions for pretty much forever.
Well we got some pretty conclusive stuff from the USADA investigation. Obviously this is different, but one can always hope. Even if it doesn't reach any conclusions on doping-related matters, it could provide some good leads for future investigations (like the federal postal case). Who knows who they'll crack?