Tenerife - Page 12 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #111  
Old 11-21-12, 09:29
sniper sniper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle Chic View Post
well we dont know where he got it do we ? uncle tony would know
fact of the matter is: we've seen russians (e.g. the Safinas) and italians (e.g. Serrani) move to (the north-west of) Spain to train (and with great results), but no Spanish players moving to Russia or Italy, afaik.

iow: There is something cosey about the north-west of spain, mallorca, etc.
What Bretagne was to the Galliers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterix), Catalunya, Valencia and the Baleares are to Spanish sports.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 11-21-12, 10:22
del1962 del1962 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper View Post
fact of the matter is: we've seen russians (e.g. the Safinas) and italians (e.g. Serrani) move to (the north-west of) Spain to train (and with great results), but no Spanish players moving to Russia or Italy, afaik.

iow: There is something cosey about the north-west of spain, mallorca, etc.
What Bretagne was to the Galliers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterix), Catalunya, Valencia and the Baleares are to Spanish sports.
As far as the Russians are concerned it is a bit of a shame as you would think that January in Russia would be a great place to get out on the roads and ride your bike
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 11-21-12, 13:04
martinvickers martinvickers is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by del1962 View Post
As far as the Russians are concerned it is a bit of a shame as you would think that January in Russia would be a great place to get out on the roads and ride your bike
Not all of Russia is Siberia! By the Black sea, it barely falls below a mild chill.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 11-21-12, 13:20
JimmyFingers's Avatar
JimmyFingers JimmyFingers is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinvickers View Post
Not all of Russia is Siberia! By the Black sea, it barely falls below a mild chill.
Who trains there then?
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 11-21-12, 13:25
martinvickers martinvickers is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFingers View Post
Who trains there then?
no-one presumably - I was simply noting that the cliche of Russian winter as ice-bound desert is just that; a bit of a cliche.

I'm afraid I don' buy into geography as guilt, myself. correlation not equalling causation and all that. Of course there was a huge amount of doping in tenerife. But that doesn't mean it was 'because' it was tenerife - or that that is all tenerife is good for.

correlation not equalling causation and all that.

After all, perhaps the reason Tenerife was used by some doping doctors is because the cyclists were already happy to be there, precisely because it's a perfect natural base - and they would be there whether the doping doctors were there or not.

i.e. they didn't neccesarily go to tenerife only to meet the doctors - just as likely the doctors went to tenerife because that's were the cyclists were able to train.

it's not like the shining, you know; the very island is not imbued with the spirit of evil - just the evil of spirit
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 11-21-12, 13:42
King Of The Wolds King Of The Wolds is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinvickers View Post
After all, perhaps the reason Tenerife was used by some doping doctors is because the cyclists were already happy to be there, precisely because it's a perfect natural base - and they would be there whether the doping doctors were there or not.

i.e. they didn't neccesarily go to tenerife only to meet the doctors - just as likely the doctors went to tenerife because that's were the cyclists were able to train.

it's not like the shining, you know; the very island is not imbued with the spirit of evil - just the evil of spirit
Nail on the head, right there.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 11-21-12, 14:23
JimmyFingers's Avatar
JimmyFingers JimmyFingers is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinvickers View Post
no-one presumably - I was simply noting that the cliche of Russian winter as ice-bound desert is just that; a bit of a cliche.

I'm afraid I don' buy into geography as guilt, myself. correlation not equalling causation and all that. Of course there was a huge amount of doping in tenerife. But that doesn't mean it was 'because' it was tenerife - or that that is all tenerife is good for.

correlation not equalling causation and all that.

After all, perhaps the reason Tenerife was used by some doping doctors is because the cyclists were already happy to be there, precisely because it's a perfect natural base - and they would be there whether the doping doctors were there or not.

i.e. they didn't neccesarily go to tenerife only to meet the doctors - just as likely the doctors went to tenerife because that's were the cyclists were able to train.

it's not like the shining, you know; the very island is not imbued with the spirit of evil - just the evil of spirit
This makes imagine evil doctors dressed like **** Dastardly hiding behind rocks and jabbing unsuspecting cyclists going past with a giant syringe labelled 'PEDs' before running off, laughing evilly shouting 'that should give you a 15-20% performance boost'
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 11-21-12, 16:38
martinvickers martinvickers is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFingers View Post
This makes imagine evil doctors dressed like **** Dastardly hiding behind rocks and jabbing unsuspecting cyclists going past with a giant syringe labelled 'PEDs' before running off, laughing evilly shouting 'that should give you a 15-20% performance boost'
Remove the word unsuspecting and you aren't far off the reality ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 11-21-12, 16:40
martinvickers martinvickers is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFingers View Post
This makes imagine evil doctors dressed like **** Dastardly hiding behind rocks and jabbing unsuspecting cyclists going past with a giant syringe labelled 'PEDs' before running off, laughing evilly shouting 'that should give you a 15-20% performance boost'
p.s. Doping doctors are in my view the lowest of the low - worse than cheating cyclists, worse even than the Bruyneels, because they betray something absolutely fundamental to society - that medicine "do no harm"
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 11-21-12, 17:20
RownhamHill RownhamHill is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFingers View Post
This makes imagine evil doctors dressed like **** Dastardly hiding behind rocks and jabbing unsuspecting cyclists going past with a giant syringe labelled 'PEDs' before running off, laughing evilly shouting 'that should give you a 15-20% performance boost'
Funny you say that, from what I've been led to understand by reading the Clinic, it sounds like the perfect description of the team Sky training camp.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 00:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.