Obree's land speed record bike - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > General

General Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-21-12, 21:00
avanti avanti is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: At 1,585 m elevation
Posts: 865
Default Obree's land speed record bike

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...record-vehicle

After reviewing the photos of this bike I could not figure out his riding position. But I found it here:
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/...d-attempt.html

I see how he would get high power but is this position better than a traditional recumbent position

The bike also needs a knife edge at the rear end to decrease drag.

Last edited by avanti; 11-21-12 at 21:11.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-21-12, 23:01
Rossco8's Avatar
Rossco8 Rossco8 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 71
Default

Thanks for posting the 2nd link. So excited about Obree's attempt and his journey to get there.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-22-12, 00:22
Afrank's Avatar
Afrank Afrank is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,672
Default

Jeez, does it get any more aero than that?



Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I see how he would get high power but is this position better than a traditional recumbent position
Probably not as comfortable, but he looks much more tucked down and streamlined. In recumbent position you have to sit up more in order to see, so being tucked down makes him a little more aero I think.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-23-12, 11:50
coinneach coinneach is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 624
Default

Never mind the bike; did you see where he was trying to set the record?
Only Obree could think of Machrihanish as being a suitable spot!
Must be the windiest place on this country/hemisphere/planet!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-23-12, 13:39
Magnus's Avatar
Magnus Magnus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
Probably not as comfortable, but he looks much more tucked down and streamlined. In recumbent position you have to sit up more in order to see, so being tucked down makes him a little more aero I think.
But it doesn't really matter how tucked he is as he'll be using a fairing. On a recumbent the rider is pretty much between the wheels (like this: http://www.hamberg.dk/pix/hpv/nocom/nocom_01.jpg), whereas Obree is on top of the wheels so he isn't lower than he would be on a low recumbent.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-26-12, 14:29
hiero2's Avatar
hiero2 hiero2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: In Descartes' reality
Posts: 2,627
Default

I hope he gets the record!
__________________
It is of great use to the sailor to know the length of his line, though he cannot with it fathom all the depths of the ocean. ~ John Locke
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-27-12, 00:50
ferryman's Avatar
ferryman ferryman is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: LostinFife
Posts: 2,246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coinneach View Post
Never mind the bike; did you see where he was trying to set the record?
Only Obree could think of Machrihanish as being a suitable spot!
Must be the windiest place on this country/hemisphere/planet!


Sorry to correct but you have missed out the Universe and EDINBURGH where there is a freaking different gale coming at you on every street you turn into, even on a non windy day That's all Apart from 'Go Graeme', we love you
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-28-12, 01:35
Polyarmour's Avatar
Polyarmour Polyarmour is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mt Coot-tha
Posts: 717
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
But it doesn't really matter how tucked he is as he'll be using a fairing. On a recumbent the rider is pretty much between the wheels (like this: http://www.hamberg.dk/pix/hpv/nocom/nocom_01.jpg), whereas Obree is on top of the wheels so he isn't lower than he would be on a low recumbent.
Maybe the problem with that position is the transmission loss associated with the long chain?
__________________
"I thought of that while riding my bicycle." ~ Albert Einstein on the Theory of Relativity
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 15:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.