Sky - Page 892 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 11-22-12, 01:47

Yeah, I'm not perfect. Move on.
Old 11-22-12, 02:00
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
So you agree that there is evidence Mick Rogers should not pass the Team Sky 'Zero Tolerance' test and should be jettisoned like the expendable DSes were?
I'm afraid you'll have to clarify the evidence you are referring to for me - though in principle, i've no problem with giving him the boot.
Old 11-22-12, 02:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinvickers View Post
I'm afraid you'll have to clarify the evidence you are referring to for me - though in principle, i've no problem with giving him the boot.
So we have Working with Ferrari

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cycli...011-27fom.html

and eyewitness accounts of blood doping

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/tmo...619042013.html
Old 11-22-12, 02:35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowspoke View Post
Very suspicious, would certainly justify the authorities in keeping a beedy eye on him, but not evidence per se

Quote:
and eyewitness accounts of blood doping

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/tmo...619042013.html
Incorrect. There is no eye witness account in this article of MR specifically blood doping, or any form of doping. MR is not mentioned specifically, and sinkewitz doesn't specify anyone specifically. if it was everyone in the team, or some. Did he go onto specify him?

Very suspicious, i'll grant you - but this is from 2007 - since that time, did Sinkewitz ever name Rogers? Did anyone else?
Old 11-22-12, 02:43
Administrator

The whole sordid Freiburg thing was effectively hushed up with the peculiar German technique of accepting money in lieu of prosecution. See Kloden.

The problem is Dodger has now been involved in the two of the largest doping scandals in cycling - Freiburg and the Evidence. Levi specifically named Dodger as being on Tenerife with Ferrari while Levi was there to dope. Ask yourself this - when omerta reigns supreme, why would Levi specifically name Dodger with Vino and the others.

The Sky anti doping policy was meant to exclude ANYBODY with an association with doping. So the team could be seen to be clean. Dodger is a fail. Just not quite in the Leinders category (remember him? lol).

hehe got post 9000! now dont go and delete one to cheat anybody lol

Last edited by sittingbison; 11-22-12 at 03:13. Reason: YAY got post 9000 lol
Old 11-22-12, 02:59

Come on Vickers, do you want guys like Rogers in your sport? Y/N.

And then, do you want them in your team Sky, screwing your/its reputation? Y/N

Should be pretty simple really.

Should also be simple to resolve for Rogers, ie. to either sign and declare himself clean, or explain himself otherwise and find another team or retire.

But no need for you to defend the man, he can do that quite simply himself in public. As a high profile rider and quite chatty to the media should be no problem.

“Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.”

Old 11-22-12, 03:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krebs cycle View Post
Calls for publishing biopassport data are meaningless and not revealing that data also isn't a sign of non-transparency because the biopassport data already gets reviewed by an independent panel of experts. Allowing the lay public to view that data won't achieve anything because the lay public doesn't know how to analyse biopassport data since they are not experts.
I disagree entirely. As one familiar with the process of peer review I thought you would argue differently. Publication of blood data (note the word 'public-ation'), will allow discussion and validification. The concepts you refer to are not rocket science (not wanting to diminish your PhD at all) and quite accessible by many enthusiasts and other public experts not currently on the independent panel. And hence it will shift the emphasis of false positives away to a more rational level, where the onus is on the athlete to explain the abberations, not the panel. Restricting data use to an 'independent panel' will always be challenged by external critics, as currently happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krebs cycle View Post
The problem doesn't reside with the teams being non-transparent, it resides with the UCI, who as we know are corrupt.

What needs to happen is that the process of sanctioning riders on the basis of biopassport data must not be left in the hands of the UCI. Those riders who are deemed positive by an independent panel should have a ban put in place by some other body such as WADA, and the UCI must comply with that ban or face expulsion from the olympics or some other consequence such as the formation of breakaway leagues that support "clean cycling" and do comply with WADA.
This I fully agree with. And hence I see no issue with doing both.

“Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.”

Last edited by Tinman; 11-22-12 at 03:13.
Old 11-22-12, 03:20

Please define "independent panel of experts".

Experts in what?
Independent of what?
Old 11-22-12, 03:34

UCI has more control over ABP data than the independent panel of experts.

They may be experts and they may be independent, but nothing happens without the blessings of the highly incompetent UCI.
Old 11-22-12, 03:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
I disagree entirely. As one familiar with the process of peer review I thought you would argue differently. Publication of blood data (note the word 'public-ation'), will allow discussion and validification. The concepts you refer to are not rocket science (not wanting to diminish your PhD at all) and quite accessible by many enthusiasts and other public experts not currently on the independent panel. And hence it will shift the emphasis of false positives away to a more rational level, where the onus is on the athlete to explain the abberations, not the panel. Restricting data use to an 'independent panel' will always be challenged by external critics, as currently happens.
Maybe I should have explained this differently. It's less about the science and more about due process. Should there be a system where evidence is reviewed anonymously by a panel of experts whose recommendation then gets presented in a court or tribunal overseen by a non-corrupt regulatory body or should we just allow mob rule, with all its emotional bias and predjudice? Same concept applies to any legal matter. For example, why don't we just release evidence to the public regarding crimimal cases and then let mob rules decide what the sentencing should be as opposed to judges? Its a slippery legal slope to go down and the risk is that you let dopers off the hook because it could be argued that they were previously tried in the court of public opinion, which would thus lead to a mistrial.

If you have a proper system untainted by UCI corruption, then what would it achieve if you released the biopassport data, say in the event that an athlete has already been cleared any blood manipulation? How will you discourage doping moreso by doing that?

Regarding discussion on how the passport system works, well there already is quite a lot of publications detailing the method and its development in the scientific literature.