Last world tour spot to be decided between Saxo and Shimano? - Page 2 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-22-12, 14:58
Capablanca and me's Avatar
Capablanca and me Capablanca and me is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 70
Default

if SAXO get the WT license = no changes in the system, just hypocrisy again, and again

and the truth is: Saxo does not have enough WT point (before the new guys arrives)
and yes, this point system s_cks
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-22-12, 15:11
jens_attacks's Avatar
jens_attacks jens_attacks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11,710
Default

go saxo !









..........
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-22-12, 15:12
Nilsson Nilsson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 355
Default

Fortunately the article is bull****...

Nevertheless, it shows the failure of the system and its non-correspondence with its goal (getting the best riders/teams in the most important races).
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-22-12, 15:21
Siriuscat's Avatar
Siriuscat Siriuscat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: North East Scotland
Posts: 736
Default

System exists to further the corruption and take of the UCI, Id suggest the decision is already made depending on who sends Pat the biggest cheque!
__________________
I'm in shape...Round is a shape
Unashamed Contador Fanboy

www.justcycling.myfastforum.org
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-22-12, 15:21
Ferminal Ferminal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 16,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Saxo were better on paper this season as well. However, in the actual races they simply sucked. And to solve that problem they signed some riders who are great on paper, but also sucked (Breschel, Bennati, Kreuziger). For next year I'd definitely expect more in the classics from Degenkolb than Breschel/Bennati.

That leaves a choice between one of the best stage racing teams (built around Contador) vs. one of the best sprinting teams (built around Kittel/Degenkolb). It's a cr.pshoot.
Depth?

...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-22-12, 15:27
Parrulo's Avatar
Parrulo Parrulo is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,979
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Saxo were better on paper this season as well. However, in the actual races they simply sucked. And to solve that problem they signed some riders who are great on paper, but also sucked (Breschel, Bennati, Kreuziger). For next year I'd definitely expect more in the classics from Degenkolb than Breschel/Bennati.

That leaves a choice between one of the best stage racing teams (built around Contador) vs. one of the best sprinting teams (built around Kittel/Degenkolb). It's a cr.pshoot.
on paper and on the road saxo were very average last season without contador. the moment he was banned every knew the team had nothing to offer.

breschel is a risk because he gets injured a lot but if he reaches his 2010 form he would be an outside bet for the ronde and MSR, and let's not pretend like degenkolb didn't finish 63rd 15 minutes down in roubaix this year so him performing at top level on the cobbles is far from a guaranteed situation.

kreuziger's season wasn't crap. . . . it was better then in 2011 CQ wise actually, he just happened to crack so badly at the giro that people only remember that from his season. he hasn't been the same rider as he was a couple seasons ago for a while now but he is still caplable to get a good results on 1 week races and GT's.

bennati and zaug were only hired for their points and roche is massively overrated imo so those 3 will only be domestiques, but a guy like majka is a very interesting talent.

and then ofc we can't forget contador who will very likely win one or two (or more) 1 week races and a GT, so even tho his points don't count, the fact that he is there racing still matters.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-22-12, 15:30
T-Nielsen's Avatar
T-Nielsen T-Nielsen is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 943
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca and me View Post
if SAXO get the WT license = no changes in the system, just hypocrisy again, and again

and the truth is: Saxo does not have enough WT point (before the new guys arrives)
and yes, this point system s_cks
Leopard Trek had no points at all before the new guys arrived. Whats your point.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-22-12, 15:33
theyoungest theyoungest is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
on paper and on the road saxo were very average last season without contador. the moment he was banned every knew the team had nothing to offer.

breschel is a risk because he gets injured a lot but if he reaches his 2010 form he would be an outside bet for the ronde and MSR, and let's not pretend like degenkolb didn't finish 63rd 15 minutes down in roubaix this year so him performing at top level on the cobbles is far from a guaranteed situation.
Let's not forget that Roubaix is a race notorious for its crashes... which is what happened to Degenkolb this season. Last year, in his first pro year, he was 19th.

Quote:
kreuziger's season wasn't crap. . . . it was better then in 2011 CQ wise actually, he just happened to crack so badly at the giro that people only remember that from his season. he hasn't been the same rider as he was a couple seasons ago for a while now but he is still caplable to get a good results on 1 week races and GT's.
Kreuziger isn't bad indeed, and I'm sure Riis can get the best out of him... but that's on paper, like I said.

Quote:
bennati and zaug were only hired for their points and roche is massively overrated imo so those 3 will only be domestiques, but a guy like majka is a very interesting talent.
For every Majka there's a Barguil over at Argos...

Quote:
and then ofc we can't forget contador who will very likely win one or two (or more) 1 week races and a GT, so even tho his points don't count, the fact that he is there racing still matters.
Of course Contador matters. He alone should guarantee them a WT spot. But Argos getting the spot wouldn't be as ridiculous as you would have us believe.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-22-12, 15:49
JimPanzen's Avatar
JimPanzen JimPanzen is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 565
Default

I don't like the idea of giving the last WT spot to a "pure sprinter team". Saxo's roster has more depth without any doubts.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-22-12, 16:17
Ryo Hazuki's Avatar
Ryo Hazuki Ryo Hazuki is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Saxo were better on paper this season as well. However, in the actual races they simply sucked. And to solve that problem they signed some riders who are great on paper, but also sucked (Breschel, Bennati, Kreuziger). For next year I'd definitely expect more in the classics from Degenkolb than Breschel/Bennati.

That leaves a choice between one of the best stage racing teams (built around Contador) vs. one of the best sprinting teams (built around Kittel/Degenkolb). It's a cr.pshoot.
yeah with contador in it they were and showed they were (winning vuelta)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 23:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.