Last world tour spot to be decided between Saxo and Shimano? - Page 2 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 11-22-12, 14:58

if SAXO get the WT license = no changes in the system, just hypocrisy again, and again

and the truth is: Saxo does not have enough WT point (before the new guys arrives)
and yes, this point system s_cks
Old 11-22-12, 15:11

go saxo !

Old 11-22-12, 15:12

Fortunately the article is bull****...

Nevertheless, it shows the failure of the system and its non-correspondence with its goal (getting the best riders/teams in the most important races).
Old 11-22-12, 15:21

System exists to further the corruption and take of the UCI, Id suggest the decision is already made depending on who sends Pat the biggest cheque!

www.justcycling.myfastforum.org
Old 11-22-12, 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Saxo were better on paper this season as well. However, in the actual races they simply sucked. And to solve that problem they signed some riders who are great on paper, but also sucked (Breschel, Bennati, Kreuziger). For next year I'd definitely expect more in the classics from Degenkolb than Breschel/Bennati.

That leaves a choice between one of the best stage racing teams (built around Contador) vs. one of the best sprinting teams (built around Kittel/Degenkolb). It's a cr.pshoot.
Depth?

Old 11-22-12, 15:27
Administrator

Quote:
Saxo were better on paper this season as well. However, in the actual races they simply sucked. And to solve that problem they signed some riders who are great on paper, but also sucked (Breschel, Bennati, Kreuziger). For next year I'd definitely expect more in the classics from Degenkolb than Breschel/Bennati.

That leaves a choice between one of the best stage racing teams (built around Contador) vs. one of the best sprinting teams (built around Kittel/Degenkolb). It's a cr.pshoot.
on paper and on the road saxo were very average last season without contador. the moment he was banned every knew the team had nothing to offer.

breschel is a risk because he gets injured a lot but if he reaches his 2010 form he would be an outside bet for the ronde and MSR, and let's not pretend like degenkolb didn't finish 63rd 15 minutes down in roubaix this year so him performing at top level on the cobbles is far from a guaranteed situation.

kreuziger's season wasn't crap. . . . it was better then in 2011 CQ wise actually, he just happened to crack so badly at the giro that people only remember that from his season. he hasn't been the same rider as he was a couple seasons ago for a while now but he is still caplable to get a good results on 1 week races and GT's.

bennati and zaug were only hired for their points and roche is massively overrated imo so those 3 will only be domestiques, but a guy like majka is a very interesting talent.

and then ofc we can't forget contador who will very likely win one or two (or more) 1 week races and a GT, so even tho his points don't count, the fact that he is there racing still matters.
Old 11-22-12, 15:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca and me View Post
if SAXO get the WT license = no changes in the system, just hypocrisy again, and again

and the truth is: Saxo does not have enough WT point (before the new guys arrives)
and yes, this point system s_cks
Leopard Trek had no points at all before the new guys arrived. Whats your point.
Old 11-22-12, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
on paper and on the road saxo were very average last season without contador. the moment he was banned every knew the team had nothing to offer.

breschel is a risk because he gets injured a lot but if he reaches his 2010 form he would be an outside bet for the ronde and MSR, and let's not pretend like degenkolb didn't finish 63rd 15 minutes down in roubaix this year so him performing at top level on the cobbles is far from a guaranteed situation.
Let's not forget that Roubaix is a race notorious for its crashes... which is what happened to Degenkolb this season. Last year, in his first pro year, he was 19th.

Quote:
kreuziger's season wasn't crap. . . . it was better then in 2011 CQ wise actually, he just happened to crack so badly at the giro that people only remember that from his season. he hasn't been the same rider as he was a couple seasons ago for a while now but he is still caplable to get a good results on 1 week races and GT's.
Kreuziger isn't bad indeed, and I'm sure Riis can get the best out of him... but that's on paper, like I said.

Quote:
bennati and zaug were only hired for their points and roche is massively overrated imo so those 3 will only be domestiques, but a guy like majka is a very interesting talent.
For every Majka there's a Barguil over at Argos...

Quote:
and then ofc we can't forget contador who will very likely win one or two (or more) 1 week races and a GT, so even tho his points don't count, the fact that he is there racing still matters.
Of course Contador matters. He alone should guarantee them a WT spot. But Argos getting the spot wouldn't be as ridiculous as you would have us believe.
Old 11-22-12, 15:49

I don't like the idea of giving the last WT spot to a "pure sprinter team". Saxo's roster has more depth without any doubts.
Old 11-22-12, 16:17

Quote:

yeah with contador in it they were and showed they were (winning vuelta)