Wiggins Sports Scientist work for English Rugby - Page 5 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 11-22-12, 13:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by coinneach View Post
As a big fan of British Sport, I think you've got some fair points there; equally valid in Rugby & Cycling

I have often worried about "suppliments/right products", they may be legal just now BUT BUT BUT.....

All I can say to reassure you is there's a big difference in mentalities in the sports & organisations: Rugby has never had a big drug scandal, cycling's had loads. British Cycling comes out of the Olympic track programme: they are a really tight organisation founded on clean sport. IMHPO british cycling is officially clean.

When rugby went pro, there was much less /no focus on ethical issues. I know the parents of one international rugby union player worried about their son taking stuff: they asked him, and he denied it. Who knows??
The team that showed the biggest leap in fitness, for whatever reason, at last RWC I think was Wales, and its not doing them much good now!
I am concerned that rugby is not testing for the right products. A sport in which body shape and strength levels have changed so quickly, recovery from injury so vital, and in which the very limits of legal supplement use are being explored should have seen a heckuva lot more positive tests.

I mean, in SA it's an open secret there is a steroid culture in top level rugby from high school and up - yet no one tests positive at the professional level.

If one looks at the UK anti doping agency stats you see that both codes of rugby constitute a high number of positive tests compared to other sports. Yet it all must be at levels below publicity because no professional players have been caught.

So it's only the guys who aren't good enough that are dabbling.....probably because they're lazy.....
Old 11-22-12, 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by del1962 View Post
If you want to discuss doping in Rugby I suggest you do it on a broader basis rather than coming across as some embittered anti-English fool. You have no evidence that English rugby is any way more involved in doping than rugby in genreral.
You're obviously not familiar with his alter-ego on the Guardian. . .

That said, this thread represents everything I love and hate about the Clinic.
Based on everything I know about Rugby (both how it's played, and the culture around it) it just seems so obvious to me that pretty much the whole of professional rugby is drowning in steroids et al - England in 2003, Wales last year, any southern hemisphere team ever, the whole lot of them - so is worth talking about.

And yet, where is the evidence for any particular accusation? And what's more, if I'm just going to throw enough mud around on the basis that some might stick, does that really make me the best champion of cleaner, more ethical anything?
Old 11-22-12, 14:59

The forum jumps up and down and gnashes it teeth if you dare say there is national bias, yet we have a thread related to wiggins and Sky arbitrarily discussing doping in English rugby, and in particular the 2003 WC winning team.

Oh wait concern has been expressed about NZ and SA.

Just wondering if Mongol is an Aussie?

Because this thread, as many do, stinks of bias
Old 11-22-12, 15:43

My house is better than yours.
Old 11-22-12, 15:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFingers View Post

I don't know his nationality - obviously - but under another pseudonym, Mongol is fairly well known on the Guardian sports blogs as being a particularly one-eyed fan of Welsh Rugby. Think Ryo on Colombian cyclists (and all that entails) on these boards as a good comparison.
Old 11-22-12, 20:21

Then presumably this thread can be put to bed? Prurient nonsense
Old 11-22-12, 20:33
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFingers View Post
The forum jumps up and down and gnashes it teeth if you dare say there is national bias, yet we have a thread related to wiggins and Sky arbitrarily discussing doping in English rugby, and in particular the 2003 WC winning team.

Oh wait concern has been expressed about NZ and SA.

The thread title is about Wiggins coach going to English Rugby - pretty simple then that any chat should revolve around (wait for it) English rugby.

Rugby has a pretty poor record with doping - attempting to dismiss someones point on nationality shows your bias - no-one else's.
Old 11-22-12, 20:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Maserati View Post
The thread title is about Wiggins coach going to English Rugby - pretty simple then that any chat should revolve around (wait for it) English rugby.

Rugby has a pretty poor record with doping - attempting to dismiss someones point on nationality shows your bias - no-one else's.
Again, amazing interpretation. Much like your amazing insight earlier in the thread to one of my posts.
Old 11-23-12, 10:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by RownhamHill View Post
I don't know his nationality - obviously - but under another pseudonym, Mongol is fairly well known on the Guardian sports blogs as being a particularly one-eyed fan of Welsh Rugby. Think Ryo on Colombian cyclists (and all that entails) on these boards as a good comparison.
This isn't me.....I am banned from the Guardian for over a year for telling the truth about Lance.

Plus I don't like Welsh rugby that much.
Old 11-23-12, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongol_Waaijer View Post
This isn't me.....I am banned from the Guardian for over a year for telling the truth about Lance.
Are you really...? Maybe there are two or three Mongol_Waaijer's... Here is the one defending Lance appearing at a Hoorn triathlon in Sept this year. Here's what (s)he wrote in support of him, in this thread on 11 Sept. Must have been quite something getting you banned by the Guardian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongol_Waaijer View Post
Lance Armstrong has a very special position in the Netherlands where his success started. At that time he had even a Dutch girlfriend. In the Netherlands we have the opinion that you should not play back to the future with taking away titles of the past from Lance. Writing this I know that the opinion in the States is totally different. Mart Smeets, our most senior Sport Report on cycling supports this story as well. Famous cyclists like Leontien van Moorsel also support this opinion.
This shows that we never punish sporters on this for life and for that reason we feel sorry for Lance.

I totally agree that Lance can not compete on professional cycle courses anymore and I respect the rules of the WADA on that. I do not respect the opinion that he can never participate in recreative Running events like ours. And we can not be bounded by WADA rules indeed. Everyone should have the right participating in a local sport event. We do not check on drugs so I see no reason why he should not be welcome in our event. I do not belief that this will cause any damage. In the Netherlands this is not such a big deal. We belief that Lance will generate a positive vibe around our event.

“Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.”