Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 11-16-11, 11:05

i'm certainly not just getting caught up on the waterproofing factor because i'm considering the Adriano (gore-tex active shell for endurance sports), rapha (reviewed as highly breathable), and mavic infinity (with body and arm zippers).

what i am trying to clarify a bit more is such a low spec of 1,500mm for the montane. you still didn't answer if you tested in a constant rain. i will say again, i am searching for something that works in constant rain rather than works only in light rain.

regarding fold-ability...yes there is some natural expansion when folding down a jacket, but really the mavic spray (gore-tex paclite) is really not a material that folds down small for cycling. it's the only thing that makes me hesitant on the infinity (since they are the same design although different material) but most people say it's ok in the jersey pockets...
Old 11-16-11, 14:09

I have a Sugoi rain jacket. light weight, close fitting and vents well enough to not be too hot. Usually there is just as big a challenge to not get wet from the inside. I can't say I ever liked a perfectly water proof jacket as I usually just get sweaty wet.
I chose my jacket for light weight and packability with reasonable venting for heat and sweat. If it keeps me warm and prevents soak through I am happy. Waterproof is for commuting. Fast riding or hard efforts then dry is a dream. I have worn completely waterproof and after an hour been almost as wet from sweat.
Old 11-16-11, 21:02

everyone keeps having to mention this "wet from the inside" effect which is already obvious and a clear consideration since i originally started this post from being interested in the higher end jackets like the Adriano and Rapha Rain, which both have a new material apparently being their most breathable!

i still don't hear much about Adriano, except from one user which was positive. it was also developed and used by garmin-cervelo so i'm sure it's great. however i'm getting a bit tired of an all black kit as i also have a black castelli gabba (super!), i think i need to have a bit more color or white, another reason to consider the mavic H2O infinity...
Old 11-17-11, 14:35

get yourself a Rapha rain jacket. if you dont like it send it back. The red is bright.
Old 11-19-12, 15:58

just to update and give some info on my experience....

i ended up buying a used(good condition) rapha jacket. i wore it a lot in the winter and it served me well, it's very very light(170g) and very packable in the jersey pocket. it worked well in winter except when it's very cold/near 0C you have to be careful because the of how open/ventilated the jacket is. but typically it was good balance that worked well in winter.

unfortunately the biggest problem was it's waterproofing! just recently i was caught outside in the rain, 20min light rain then ~10min constant medium rain. i don't understand how this jacket didn't work at all to keep me dry. water went through everywhere and it was one of the disappointing experiences i have had.

so my search continued, and luckily i found a really good deal on a new Castelli Pocket Liner (eVent fabric and super silver color:-). i received this and it seems to be a very nice jacket in terms of material, design, side zips...

however, it does deserve to be criticized as they quoted a 170g weight and the jacket is easily over 200g, making it not so packable and comfortable in the jersey pockets. also the fit is very strange on the arms, the sleeves are way to big/round!? it's a pro level jacket and castelli is know well for their style/fit, the body fits nice/perfect then the diameter on the sleeves is way too big and flaps around a lot during high speed descents, big shame...

anyway, the pocket liner will also be great for winter, so far the breathability seems fine, and i'm sure water will not leak though should i ever be on a rainy ride.
Old 11-22-12, 16:43

Breathable fabrics aren't breathable when they're wet. So if it is raining, you will get wet either from the inside or from the outside. I have pretty much stopped riding with "waterproof/breathable" gear altogether (I commute year-round in Vancouver - so I know what rain is). I just wear enough to stay warm, even once I am wet. I don't really care about being wet (washes right off), but I don't like overheating and becoming uncomfortably sweaty.
Old 11-22-12, 23:24

i was riding an easy tempo, nothing hard, so it was not sweat inside. anyway to be completely wet inside like that i would have to been riding very hard or long at a medium/high pace. i can easily say the rapha jacket didn't work during a short time in normal rain.

my gore tex hiking jacket that i wear in the city has kept me completely dry moving around the city during long periods on the bike.
Old 11-23-12, 11:47

oh and just to another "non jacket but waterproofing" point i would like to make/recommend is that i have found the rapha softshell pants to be completely incredible!

these have also been under heavy rain and have kept me as dry as my gore tex jacket, and i was not wet on the inside(as everyone likes to claim)! they can get a bit a hot in normal weather but when it's cool / cold / wet outside then it's not a problem.

maybe under prolonged rain they would finally give/let water in, but cycling in the city under heavy rain i have not passed this limit. so it's for sure one of my better purchases from the last year, and probably what makes me more disappointed with their rain jacket...

also had similar/good experience with sealskinz socks and gloves!
Old 12-01-12, 06:22

Assos. No more need be said.
Old 12-02-12, 20:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by laziali View Post
Assos. No more need be said.
how about the price?

if price is not an issue then of course Assos becomes more of a consideration.