Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 11-22-12, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobuck View Post
not my pick but,..... why never?
Alpe answered your post already, but I would say that for me to root for the Atlanta Falcons is like asking me to eat Mayonnaise.
Old 11-22-12, 14:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
I'll start with tomorrow's games for now, and post the others before Sunday.

HOU @ DET - I can't convince myself that this will be one of the upsets of this round. Texans first team to 10.

WAS @ DAL - A do or die game for both teams. My pick is no surprise!

NE @ NYJ - Despite the Jets ****ing me up for a perfect score last week, no way do I see them taking Brady down.

Have a fine day with your families tomorrow, try not to gorge yourselves too much.
I have a feeling that the Lions have a good chance to upset the Texans. Just a hunch. If I was in Vegas I would put money on it.

Washington will beat the Cowboys. If it was not for just pure dumb luck the Browns would have beaten them last week. The Browns are bad so that says much about the Cowpokes.

No idea what will happen with the Patriots and Jets. The Jets could surprise but I would not think the Patriots would have such a bad day and let the Jets win.
Old 11-23-12, 01:43
Administrator

I didn't predict in time for it to "count", but I too thought Detroit might win that game at home over Houston, and they almost did. They are desperate for a win, have been playing better lately, plus the NFC is better than the AFC.

Also would have picked Washington over Dallas. Skins playing fairly well with some tough losses, RGIII hot lately, Cowboys prone to way too many mistakes. Sloppy team with it's head in the sand. If they were more organized and prepared they could be about 11-5. But they aren't.

NE over Jets (1st quarter right now).
Old 11-23-12, 02:25

No detached analytical reaction from me, just very deep joy and a lot of whooping and laughing at the Cowgirls!

This kid is absolutely ****ing amazing. What a player!!! The second quarter was just sensational, the fourth was typical Skins face palm play. I get as big a thrill from watching RG3 play as I get from watching Messi!
Old 11-23-12, 03:45
Administrator

Holy crap that last game was ugly. 35 points by the Pats in the 2nd quarter alone. Gave up after that. Jets are hopeless. Just hopeless. Credit to NE for flawless play though.
Old 11-23-12, 11:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
Holy crap that last game was ugly. 35 points by the Pats in the 2nd quarter alone. Gave up after that. Jets are hopeless. Just hopeless. Credit to NE for flawless play though.
The game was over after that 2nd quarter. NewEngland looks pretty good. They might be on a course to the Superbowl. I don't know if it is just me but I do not believe in the Texans. They might end up out in the first game of the playoffs.
Old 11-24-12, 01:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Wilson View Post
I have a feeling that the Lions have a good chance to upset the Texans. Just a hunch. If I was in Vegas I would put money on it.

Washington will beat the Cowboys. If it was not for just pure dumb luck the Browns would have beaten them last week. The Browns are bad so that says much about the Cowpokes.

No idea what will happen with the Patriots and Jets. The Jets could surprise but I would not think the Patriots would have such a bad day and let the Jets win.
Good thing you weren't in Vegas then, huh?

Vikings @ Bears - It's now or never for da Bears to wake up and rediscover how to play. Last chance from me.
Raiders @ Bengals - Bengals all over the hapless Raiders
Steelers @ Browns - My upset pick of the round
Bills @ Colts - Colts to bounce back at home
Titans @ Jaguars - Jaguars maybe not as bad as 1-9 suggests, but Titans should be better
Broncos @ Chiefs - Peyton vs the worst team in the NFL, nuff said.
Seahawks @ Dolphins - Seahawks should outscore and out defend these Fins
Falcons @ Buccaneers - This could be real tough and could be another upset, but I'm sticking with a winning team
Ravens @ Chargers - Ravens to blunt the Bolts
Rams @ Cardinals - Time to bust that six game losing streak, though the Rams could sneak this one
49ers @ Saints - Could certainly go either way, both need the win, Niners on a coin toss and because Kaepernik looked so hot
Packers @ Giants - The Pack can do my Skins a huge favor here!
Panthers @ Eagles - The Monday night game that NO neutral is waiting for - two awful teams, only KC has cored less points than these Eagles, I'll go for the Panthers.
Old 11-24-12, 06:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
No detached analytical reaction from me, just very deep joy and a lot of whooping and laughing at the Cowgirls!
I said it before, I'll be glad if the RG3 rejuvinated Skins can bury the 'Girls for years to come. That game was total bliss for me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Wilson View Post
The game was over after that 2nd quarter. NewEngland looks pretty good. They might be on a course to the Superbowl. I don't know if it is just me but I do not believe in the Texans. They might end up out in the first game of the playoffs.
And the Jets look very bad with all those turovers that NE turned into points... 35 in one quarter. That's sick. Actually, Sanchez played pretty well. Now way any team will beat NE when they give NE that many more opportunities. But you may be right about NE being Superbowl bound. They will definately be in the hunt for it.

The really sad game of the day though was Houston over Detroit, who should have won if not for a blown refs call of not blowing the whistle when Forsett went down. What's sadder, is in frustration Lions HC Schwartz threw the CHALLENGE flag on an automatically reviewed play (a score), which is a challenge rule violation. The resulting penalty for throwing the challenge flag was the play by rule would NOT be reviewed (which prevented the refs from correcting the error), plus a 15 yard penalty on the ensuing kickoff. This mistake was as much a rule glitch as it was on the ref for failure to blow the whistle. If they want to have a penalty for throwing the challenge flag on an automatically reviewed play, then just enforce a 15 yard penalty... but don't take away a review of the play under the hood. The main goal should be to get a correct Official's call. I smell a rule change coming so refs have a chance to correct the mistake (of not blowing the whistle and/or calling the RB down, in this case).

So in Detroit there might not be too much love for the refs at the moment, even though the blown call is not all the refs fault, but problem with the rule book:

NCAAFB rivalry upsets today:
- ASU over #24 Arizona 41-34, ASU just dominated the 4th quarter
- WSU over #25 Washington in OT, 31-28, WSU dominated 4th Q and OT (tho UW should have won at the end of regulation but their FG kicker missed a chip shot FG attempt to win the game in the final seconds)

In other WSU news, I predict HC Mike Leach will stay put after the Marquis Wilson mess. Some players on the team say Wilson is just lazy, which is why the HC called him out, which then prompted the player to leave the team. A team cannot have a star player acting lazy. At least Leach showed no special / preferrential treatment toward the player.
Old 11-25-12, 00:32
Administrator

That penalty rule that cost the Lions the win on Thursday will be overturned next season. Talk today also that next season all chop blocks will be eliminated. I won't be surprised if the NFL also implement more direct rules against tackles like what we saw Ed Reed do last week. It's almost inevitable. The NFL is facing lawsuits that could bankrupt them, and will be aggressive with the rules if they have to be.

Predictions later, hopefully.
Old 11-25-12, 03:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
That (challenge flag) penalty rule that cost the Lions the win on Thursday will be overturned next season. Talk today also that next season all chop blocks will be eliminated. I won't be surprised if the NFL also implement more direct rules against tackles like what we saw Ed Reed do last week. It's almost inevitable. The NFL is facing lawsuits that could bankrupt them, and will be aggressive with the rules if they have to be.
I would be in favor of all of those rule changes really, including the tackling rule. On the tackling rule some might argue, "ahhhhhh that's not football", or "that's just football". But that's not how football used to be back in the days of leather helmets without facemasks. It's just a different technique that needs to be retaught and relearned. The game is so much faster now than in those days, though, that eliminating all those kinds of hits will be impossible. We will still have the inadvertant, accidental illegal hits. But at least they can do the best they can with the rule changes.

Anyone watch ND play USC? Conservative play calling by USC HC Lane Kiffan may have cost USC the game. There was a point in the game when you could see what USC was trying to do was not working well. At that point they needed to turn Wittek loose and become less predictable.