Cadel Evans is a Clean Champion - Page 59 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 11-24-12, 06:49

Actually@Blackcat- i think @WinterRider is right, BMC had offered him a spot but he wanted to do the Worlds then confirm.

@WinterRider, what i meant was before the WC was not a lot of other teams showed much interest in Cadel, that year.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"
Old 11-24-12, 10:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenedge View Post
Actually@Blackcat- i think @WinterRider is right, BMC had offered him a spot but he wanted to do the Worlds then confirm.

@WinterRider, what i meant was before the WC was not a lot of other teams showed much interest in Cadel, that year.
According to "Close to Flying" Cadel was in discussions with BMC prior to the WC but nothing had been formally agreed. After his WC win, Jim Ochowicz rang Cadel to congratulate etc and added that he assumed that their 'Project' was off, and was said to be very surprised when Cadel said that nothing had changed. The move to BMC was announced about a month later.
Old 11-28-12, 15:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenedge View Post

When everyone put in their two cents on where Evans was going once it was confirmed he was leaving Lotto, only once person said BMC. Most of us didn't think he'd go to a conti level team.

Want to take a guess who that person was? You guys are wrong on this one. Blackcat's view on this one should be the one listened to. Only person on the forum who said he was going to BMC. Blackcat gave several reasons why. How did he know? Do the math and then apply to this scenario. The other guy is wrong.
Old 11-28-12, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galic Ho View Post
When everyone put in their two cents on where Evans was going once it was confirmed he was leaving Lotto, only once person said BMC. Most of us didn't think he'd go to a conti level team.

Want to take a guess who that person was? You guys are wrong on this one. Blackcat's view on this one should be the one listened to. Only person on the forum who said he was going to BMC. Blackcat gave several reasons why. How did he know? Do the math and then apply to this scenario. The other guy is wrong.
I read somewhere at the time that Cadel said they had been working on the deal for months, and that although he couldn't say anything prior to their announcement, it was essentially a done deal before the WC occurred.

I'm sure he got other offers of interest at the very least, but I recall Cadel using language after the announcement that made it sound like it had been BMC all the way since late summer of that year. Of course my recollection may be wrong, and I'm certainly not fussed enough to go look up old articles to confirm this.
Old 11-28-12, 16:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterRider View Post
I read somewhere at the time that Cadel said they had been working on the deal for months, and that although he couldn't say anything prior to their announcement, it was essentially a done deal before the WC occurred.

I'm sure he got other offers of interest at the very least, but I recall Cadel using language after the announcement that made it sound like it had been BMC all the way since late summer of that year. Of course my recollection may be wrong, and I'm certainly not fussed enough to go look up old articles to confirm this.
I was simply reminding people who weren't on this forum to the best of my knowledge, that Blackcat was the only person who predicted Cadel was going to BMC AFTER it was announced he was leaving Lotto.

I always assumed he had a source, like he does for many things that detailed, as do others on the forum. Hence why I'd put more stock in what he says now rather than what some journo wrote. That's all...

Doesn't matter. He's at BMC and it's a better team for his talents and personality. His 2010 and 2011 seasons were very good. I'd say his best two years. Smart and wise move.
Old 11-28-12, 23:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galic Ho View Post

actually, I did not know then.

I just put the reasons "why". It was pretty obvious I thought. And I do not have inside info, read my harsh critique of CE. Unlike RaceRadio, definitely no inside sources here. But I think you werre intimating, my reasoned (and rational) decision why.

But the information in his book, may well be the truth. Like these guys say. But most biographies, the official ones, the ghost written ones, are hagiographies, and bare little reference to truth. See Its Not About The Bike and Armstrongs' oeuvre, and Landis' Positively False.

I might well be wrong. Actually, I am leaning to what Evans put to print. He had no reason to lie in the book. Not salacious, and not very interesting fact to move units
Old 11-28-12, 23:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterRider View Post

actually, our memory differs remarkably.

all the media at the time was speculating who he was negotiating with, "cant find a team", "has some interest", "leaving Lotto"... when he wins Worlds, Lotto wants to own those bands. bind the rainbow
Old 03-26-13, 17:23

Evans had a virus in 2012? That is news to me. He rode well for a guy with a virus not his usual level, but then again Hushvod had big problems joining BMC and so did Gilbert.

Were they worried they were being watched?
Old 03-26-13, 17:38

but 2006?

Hunters' Syndrome diagnosis post Pais Vasco 2006

http://www.cyclingnews.com/editions/...-april-24-2006
Old 03-27-13, 12:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat View Post
but 2006?

Hunters' Syndrome diagnosis post Pais Vasco 2006

http://www.cyclingnews.com/editions/...-april-24-2006
That was later proven incorrect - http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/...174127077.html

Good thing too. Hunter's Syndrome is life limiting.