Best high end Road bike bargain you have ever seen? - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 11-24-12, 09:48

Location: byron bay, NYC, Bangkok, Radelaide, Sydney, Sunshine Coast.
Default Best high end Road bike bargain you have ever seen?

How can a HM carbon bike with FULL sram red 2012 this cheap? Better warranty than a 15k Colnago...

2199AUD at time of posting.

http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycle/...bike-2013.aspx

Ive been to bike shops all over the world and used to work in the industry. NEVER seen a deal like this..

Strava data
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600
Old 11-24-12, 11:59

Why do they have to give these cheap chinese jobs italian sounding names.Nothing wrong with cheap and chinese,just so tired of all the bs.
LOL @ watt transfer downtube..... and its not High modulous carbon, most bikes arent made of hm carbon;but the bike industry exaggerates a bit as who would ride on an "intermediate modulous" cxarbon frame

"You have no idea the power of the dark side of the Force"
Old 11-24-12, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by durianrider View Post
How can a HM carbon bike with FULL sram red 2012 this cheap? Better warranty than a 15k Colnago...

2199AUD at time of posting.

http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycle/...bike-2013.aspx

Ive been to bike shops all over the world and used to work in the industry. NEVER seen a deal like this..
What's so surprising? Best warranty doesn't mean best product. SRAM makes the cheapest componentry and they wouldn't survive without a great warranty. RED grouppos can be had for about $700 OEM cost, that frame is roughly $300 at OEM. Do you realize Colnago is the only major bike brand never to have a safety recall? Think about that.
Old 11-24-12, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Magnetico View Post
What's so surprising? Best warranty doesn't mean best product. SRAM makes the cheapest componentry and they wouldn't survive without a great warranty. RED grouppos can be had for about $700 OEM cost, that frame is roughly $300 at OEM. Do you realize Colnago is the only major bike brand never to have a safety recall? Think about that.
+1 about warranty's.Cannondales have lifetime warranty and they fail all the time, hence Cracknfail.I never heard of a Colnago fail.
Old 11-24-12, 14:15

You can get a Planet X Carbon with Red for £1000 or how about one of these. http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sed/ro...&sub=conf_SERC.
It is the exact same frame as a De Rosa R838 for around half the price .
Old 11-25-12, 02:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by simo1733 View Post
You can get a Planet X Carbon with Red for £1000 or how about one of these. http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sed/ro...&sub=conf_SERC.
That is Sram Apex.

Strava data
Old 11-25-12, 02:17

Quote:
+1 about warranty's.Cannondales have lifetime warranty and they fail all the time, hence Cracknfail.I never heard of a Colnago fail.
I worked at one of the biggest Colnago dealers in Australia. Most people that buy a Colnago don't ride it hard enough to crack it. I did see a couple snap though from guys who were racing.

Ive never seen a CAAD 8/9/10 crack. Lots of 4/5/6/7's cracked at the RD mount where it was CNC'd out. You get ghost shifting on the climbs for a few weeks then it pops.

Strava data
Old 11-25-12, 05:09

Quote:
How high end do you need it to be?

Unless you are a pro (and they don't buy their own frames anyhow), buy the frame direct from China and build it up with a second hand gruppo. Also avoids the PlanetX logo's for what is the same frame. Check Velobuild.com for suppliers. Unbeatable value for money.

Way too much BS in this game.

“Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.”

Old 11-25-12, 05:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by durianrider View Post
That is Sram Apex.
£1199 for Red now.Still comparable wth your example.Are you telling me that Colnago's fail more than Cannondales? I recently saw a 2 month old Slice with a crack in the downtube.
I think the Ribble is the best buy .Toray T800 for that price takes some beating.They are made in China by X Pace
Old 11-25-12, 05:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Magnetico View Post
+1

When I'm bombing down a descent at 80km/h+ I have complete faith that my Colnago frame ain't going to fail. If I was on a Chinarello or some other no-name Chinese frame, not so much.

Before some noob or know-nothing says "they all come out of the same factory blah blah blah", have a read of this from well respected Cyclingtips.com.au http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2011/0...created-equal/

"... I spoke with a gentleman named Raoul Luescher about this topic to find out his views. If there’s anything you want to know about composite materials, Raoul is the man to ask. He owns Luescherteknik has been involved with composite materials for nearly 20 years. He’s worked with Boeing Aerospace, Defence, the AIS and is the designer of the Malvern Star Oppy.

When I asked Raoul about the difference between brand name and no-name bikes, his first response was “You just don’t know…”

You don’t know the quality system behind it, you don’t know the engineering behind it, you don’t know the materials it was built with, you don’t know anything. It could be good, it could be rubbish. How do you know? From an engineering point of view that’s a concern. Fiber type, strength tolerances, bonding, each tube’s structural design are all considerations.

From Raoul’s point of view coming from an aerospace background, you want to know everything about an airplane before you fly it. Same thing on a bike. If you’re ripping down a descent at 80km/hr, you don’t want the thing to break. You want a good degree of confidence that your bike has been engineered properly and quality tested to comply with standards. There are plenty of people out there who have bought one of these inexpensive no-name bikes and haven’t had any problems with them, but you simply don’t know what process they’ve gone through and there is no way to find it out. ..."
(The full article is well worth the read)