Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2013 Tour
Alberto Contador 61 63.54%
Cristopher Froome 25 26.04%
Andy Schleck 6 6.25%
Vincenzo Nibali 2 2.08%
Cadel Evans / Teehay Van Garderen 2 2.08%
Ryder Hesjedal 1 1.04%
Alejandro Valverde / Juan Jose Cobo 1 1.04%
Other (specify) 1 1.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #501  
Old 11-25-12, 07:56
Vino attacks everyone's Avatar
Vino attacks everyone Vino attacks everyone is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,051
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
Alberto isn't unbeatable. But he is unbeatable when he's at his best.
He is only at his best in Astana. so my money is on Froome next year
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Quote:
Originally Posted by iZnoGouD View Post
Nibali will make one of his useless attacks
Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
Reply With Quote
  #502  
Old 11-25-12, 10:16
airstream airstream is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Minsk
Posts: 4,202
Default

Well I'd like to note one more thing to sum up the matter decisively. If Contador wins the Tour, he will establish himself as unconditionally strongest GT rider in nowadays era one more time. But if he loses, saying 'he wasn't like in 2009 or 2011' will be just foolish, because then there will be more reason to think that someone [Schleck, Froome, Nibali no matter who — so to speak, a representative of an inferior race] would be stronger in 2013 than Contador was in the 2009 Tour / 2011 Giro. Apparently if it happens, the world will start working differently.

Last edited by airstream; 11-25-12 at 10:22.
Reply With Quote
  #503  
Old 11-25-12, 16:20
Contadoraus Schlecks's Avatar
Contadoraus Schlecks Contadoraus Schlecks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Scotland
Posts: 495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
Well I'd like to note one more thing to sum up the matter decisively. If Contador wins the Tour, he will establish himself as unconditionally strongest GT rider in nowadays era one more time. But if he loses, saying 'he wasn't like in 2009 or 2011' will be just foolish, because then there will be more reason to think that someone [Schleck, Froome, Nibali no matter who so to speak, a representative of an inferior race] would be stronger in 2013 than Contador was in the 2009 Tour / 2011 Giro. Apparently if it happens, the world will start working differently.
True. Also, if Contador loses next year, for whatever reason, it doesn't mean he won't go on to find 2009 tour or 2011 giro form at a future GT. Putting clinic issues aside Armstrong had won only three of his seven tours at Contadors current age.

Contador has to be favourite for next year, regardless of how good Froome looked at the tour. There is only a couple of years between them and the score is 7 GT's to nil.
Reply With Quote
  #504  
Old 11-25-12, 16:40
LaFlorecita's Avatar
LaFlorecita LaFlorecita is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts: 13,851
Default

Quote:
But if he loses, saying 'he wasn't like in 2009 or 2011' will be just foolish, because then there will be more reason to think that someone [Schleck, Froome, Nibali no matter who so to speak, a representative of an inferior race] would be stronger in 2013 than Contador was in the 2009 Tour / 2011 Giro.
I don't understand this.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank
Froome see's how Contador is already dressing himself in yellow in anticipation for July, how he rides with no helmet without fear, how he and his loyal second in command Kreuziger have grown thin, how he takes on the sprinters in a bunch sprint, and how Contador has given previews of what others will face in July in the form of Giro 2011 pictures....

...and he feels fear...
Reply With Quote
  #505  
Old 11-25-12, 17:16
airstream airstream is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Minsk
Posts: 4,202
Default

If Contador loses the Tour on the road (without crashes) and one tries to explain this with a bad form, it will be laughable.
Reply With Quote
  #506  
Old 11-25-12, 17:31
cineteq's Avatar
cineteq cineteq is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 5,964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
If Contador loses the Tour on the road (without crashes) and one tries to explain this with a bad form, it will be laughable.
I'd say it won't be surprising.
__________________
Quote:
The scientific explanation for Vincenzo Nibali's extraordinary descending ability is his large cojones, which lower his center of gravity, enabling him to corner with confidence on high speed descents
Reply With Quote
  #507  
Old 11-25-12, 17:39
The Hitch's Avatar
The Hitch The Hitch is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London.
Posts: 21,355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
If Contador loses the Tour on the road (without crashes) and one tries to explain this with a bad form, it will be laughable.
Gilbert lost the ardennes this year without any crashes. It was his season aim.and had good preparation.

By your logic he must have had 100% form, no?
__________________
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013 (still undefeated). Currently 2nd all time cq rankings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pre 2009 wiggins
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Reply With Quote
  #508  
Old 11-25-12, 17:55
El Pistolero's Avatar
El Pistolero El Pistolero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Gilbert lost the ardennes this year without any crashes. It was his season aim.and had good preparation.

By your logic he must have had 100% form, no?
How would you know? A week ago he said he was already training for 3 weeks now and that he hadn't even started training yet at this point last year. And he also got sick during T-A which he had to abandon.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Reply With Quote
  #509  
Old 11-25-12, 18:00
LaFlorecita's Avatar
LaFlorecita LaFlorecita is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts: 13,851
Default

Why would that be laughable?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank
Froome see's how Contador is already dressing himself in yellow in anticipation for July, how he rides with no helmet without fear, how he and his loyal second in command Kreuziger have grown thin, how he takes on the sprinters in a bunch sprint, and how Contador has given previews of what others will face in July in the form of Giro 2011 pictures....

...and he feels fear...
Reply With Quote
  #510  
Old 11-25-12, 18:14
airstream airstream is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Minsk
Posts: 4,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Gilbert lost the ardennes this year without any crashes. It was his season aim.and had good preparation.

By your logic he must have had 100% form, no?
OK, we can add illnesses and viruses. By my logic if other guy's 100% will turn out to be stronger than Contador's 100%, it will be normal.

Hm, how would you explain Gilbert's Argennes failures then?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.